ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 191 of 301
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192193194195201241291 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:54 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Royals refuse to eat any money hence why trades don't happen.
But....they're gonna pay him anyway.

To close games. That don't matter.

I...am puzzled.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:55 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But....they're gonna pay him anyway.

To close games. That don't matter.

I...am puzzled.
They're dumb, they literally think if they are going to pay money then the guy damn well better be on the team. They refuse to eat money anytime anything like this comes up.
[Reply]
tk13 02:08 PM 07-31-2019
Doesn't sound like there will be any more big moves.

I don't think it's that surprising, but they're having a big conversation about where baseball is on MLB Network. It goes back to what we've all talked about. Teams are so risk-averse now. You have first place championship contenders like the Yankees and Dodgers who can take on massive payrolls, and they didn't do anything major because they don't want to lose prospects.

Ten years ago, there's probably no doubt that you'd have a couple guys like Bumgarner, Wheeler or Whit traded for a package with multiple elite prospects.
[Reply]
tk13 02:14 PM 07-31-2019
I stand corrected. Apparently the Astros just trade for Greinke. Last minute shocker.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:15 PM 07-31-2019
The Royals refuse to eat any money on a Kennedy trade, so they keep him and ... eat all the money anyway.

They could look at it as buying a decent prospect, but no. They'd rather do nothing and SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON IAN KENNEDY.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:15 PM 07-31-2019
Four main ways to add MLB talent:

- draft
- international free agency
- veteran free agency
- trades

Small market teams obviously can't rely too much on veteran free agency. We haven't really found anything in international free agency in a while. The draft has been better the last 2 years but you can't build a team through the draft alone. I suppose you could add another smaller category of player acquisition for rule 5 or other under the radar type additions, but Brad Keller success stories are relatively rare.

I don't know how a small market team can add enough talent to be competitive if they are either unwilling or incapable of making smart trades. I've already moved on from trading Merrifield as that's simply never going to happen. But Moore/Glass can't even make up for shitty contracts given out by throwing in some money to help facilitate a trade for guys like Duffy or Kennedy?

I don't see how anyone can have faith that they'll be able to add enough talent to return to the postseason. Last time around they could throw large bonuses to coax high schoolers to join them. They don't have that benefit anymore and the draft alone simply won't be enough.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:19 PM 07-31-2019
Royals have three home games against Houston in September.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:23 PM 07-31-2019
Astros fix pitchers so Grienke will now see his career resurgence just like Verlander.
[Reply]
jd1020 02:24 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Astros fix pitchers so Grienke will now see his career resurgence just like Verlander.
You realize Greinke has been pitching like a TOR arm for 3 years right?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:24 PM 07-31-2019

Your 2019 leaders in WHIP:
1-Justin Verlander 0.81
2-Zack Greinke 0.94
5-Gerrit Cole 1.00

That's your Game 1-2-3 starters in Houston. Scary.

— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) July 31, 2019

[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 02:25 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Y'all really aren't gonna get Ian Kennedy traded?

Well that's surprising. There are teams that would definitely like to get their hands on that guy. He's been awfully good in relief and you see trades like the Josh Fields for Yordan Alvarez debacle every couple of seasons. Paddack was a wild card, Luis Castillo, Fernando Tatis Jr...

All of these guys were just 'meh' prospects when moved that turned into real assets. Surely the Royals know that they're pissing into the wind if they keep Kennedy around.
Not surprised by this at all. They can eat his contract and have him on the team closing games as well. Why eat a large part and let someone else have him closing their games when you can just wait until next year's trade deadline where he'll likely be more marketable w/ a lower contract number.

Plus...think about 2012 when the Royals started making the turn for the next run. Jonathan Broxton pretty much kept Holland from having to take on the closer role and let him settle into the 8th inning role Holland was ready to go when we traded Broxton. We don't really have a guy ready. Next year, I expect one of the new relievers to seize the 8th inning role and get ready to be the next guy. Whether we had Kennedy or not, Moore would have signed a vet closer...because it's what he does. This is how he's always behaved, like it or not. Might as well be Kennedy for another year.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:26 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by jd1020:
You realize Greinke has been pitching like a TOR arm for 3 years right?
Oh I know just pitchers go there and get better.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:26 PM 07-31-2019
Astros are probably the favorite to take the championship now.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:29 PM 07-31-2019
Jesus I don't even think the Astros gave up that much...

They didn't give up Tucker or Whitley...Seth Beer probably the biggest name in the deal.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 02:29 PM 07-31-2019
Well, Houston is gonna win the World Series.
[Reply]
Page 191 of 301
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192193194195201241291 > Last »
Up