ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 64 of 144
« First < 14546061626364 6566676874114 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's talk about the Titans (AFC Championship edition) thread
TLO 05:12 PM 01-12-2020
The AFC Championship runs through Arrowhead.
[Reply]
Kman34 07:33 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Jeff.Fisher:
I dont think any titans fan would say that mahomes is not a good quarterback. Nor would any titans fan think the chefs will not score a few points.
I suppose its the way things have went giving us some confidence. The road the titans have travelled is much more impressive. You guys barely beat the texans
Awwww.... Look at the little trollie troll... Isn't he cute???
[Reply]
MrSlippery 07:42 PM 01-15-2020
I would not call Jeff Fisher cute, but I get what you are saying lol
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:53 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Jeff.Fisher:
I dont think any titans fan would say that mahomes is not a good quarterback. Nor would any titans fan think the chefs will not score a few points.
I suppose its the way things have went giving us some confidence. The road the titans have travelled is much more impressive. You guys barely beat the texans
The road the Titans have traveled is more impressive?

Of course it is! You’re a 9-7 team that squeaked into the playoffs. You are the #6 seed. Of course the road you have to travel would be tougher than the Chiefs. That’s the result of your season.

And props to your team for beating the Pats and Ravens. Those are solid wins. If only there was another team in the NFL this year that could do that . . . . . . oh, wait.

Yeah, we’ll see you on Sunday.
[Reply]
Delano 08:05 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
It's going to be cold -- the Titans have not played in a cold game all year.
I don’t think that’s an advantage for the chiefs. Cold weather games tend to favor more physical teams with bruising running games right? Maybe that’s just a meme.
[Reply]
JohnnyV13 08:09 PM 01-15-2020
The team that this Titans team reminds me of will creep many of you out. To me, they're like the 2001 Pats.

Brady was a first-year starter, but wasn't the GOAT. He was a smart game manager that didn't make mistakes and didn't choke under pressure.

They had a big plowhorse back in Antowain Smith, who was good, but not really close to Derrick Henry.

They ranked below league average on both offense (17th) and defense (24th) in yards allowed but ranked 6th in both points allowed and points scored.

This Titans team ranks 12th in offensive yards and 21st in yards allowed. However, they rank 10th in points scored and 12th in points allowed. Like the 2001 Pats, they're better than the sum of their parts. They're the kind of team that "finds a way to win" like the 2001 Pats, as we saw in the Titans win over KC in week 10 that included creating fumbles and big plays on special teams.

Veteran Tannehill is better than first-year starter Brady, with a passer rating of 117.4 compared to 86.5 for Brady. However, we need to remember that passing stats are up since 2001 with rule changes that protect both QBs and defenseless receivers. If we look to AV (average value) ratings, Tannehill was an 11 in 2019 while Brady was a 12 in 2001. AV is football's equivalent to WAR (wins above replacement) in baseball, in that they attempt to measure the relative value of players regardless of position.

Strangely enough, both Antowain Smith and Derrick Henry had AVs of 12 in these seasons, even though it's clear Henry is a much more dominant back. Perhaps this is due to the increase of spread offenses leading to lighter boxes and better YPC in today's game.

The scary part is that the 2001 Pats beat the highest-powered offense of their day: "The Greatest Show on Turf" Rams.

All that being said, those Rams lost because their HC Mike Martz was a dumbass. The 2001 Pats had no answer for Marshall Faulk, but Martz kept trying to win with his deep passing game. If he had kept feeding Faulk in both the running and short passing game, the Rams would have torched the Pats.

I don't think Andy Reid will be that stupid. Certainly, the Chiefs don't have the same coaching gap as the Rams did vs. the 2001 Pats. Andy Reid, on his worst day, will not be outcoached by Mike Vrabel anywhere close to the degree Mike Martz was outsmarted by Bill Belichick.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:19 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyV13:
The team that this Titans team reminds me of will creep many of you out. To me, they're like the 2001 Pats.

Brady was a first-year starter, but wasn't the GOAT. He was a smart game manager that didn't make mistakes and didn't choke under pressure.

They had a big plowhorse back in Antowain Smith, who was good, but not really close to Derrick Henry.

They ranked below league average on both offense (17th) and defense (24th) in yards allowed but ranked 6th in both points allowed and points scored.

This Titans team ranks 12th in offensive yards and 21st in yards allowed. However, they rank 10th in points scored and 12th in points allowed. Like the 2001 Pats, they're better than the sum of their parts. They're the kind of team that "finds a way to win" like the 2001 Pats, as we saw in the Titans win over KC in week 10 that included creating fumbles and big plays on special teams.

Veteran Tannehill is better than first-year starter Brady, with a passer rating of 117.4 compared to 86.5 for Brady. However, we need to remember that passing stats are up since t 2001 with rule changes that protect both QBs and defenseless receivers. If we look to AV (average value) ratings, Tannehill was an 11 in 2019 while Brady was a 12 in 2001. AV is football's equivalent to WAR (wins above replacement) in baseball, in that they attempt to measure the relative value of players regardless of position.

Strangely enough, both Antowain Smith and Derrick Henry had AVs of 12 in these seasons, even though it's clear Henry is a much more dominant back. Perhaps this is due to the increase of spread offenses leading to lighter boxes and better YPC in today's game.

The scary part is that the 2001 Pats beat the highest-powered offense of their day: "The Greatest Show on Turf" Rams.

All that being said, those Rams lost because their HC Mike Martz was a dumbass. The 2001 Pats had no answer for Marshall Faulk, but Martz kept trying to win with his deep passing game. If he had kept feeding Faulk in both the running and short passing game, the Rams would have torched the Pats.

I don't think Andy Reid will be that stupid. Certainly, the Chiefs don't have the same coaching gap as the Rams did vs. the 2001 Pats. Andy Reid, on his worst day, will not be outcoached by Mike Vrabel anywhere close to the degree Mike Martz was outsmarted by Bill Belichick.
We've already seen the Chiefs against the Titans defense. They didn't exactly get shut down.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:23 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
We've already seen the Chiefs against the Titans defense. They didn't exactly get shut down.
Truth.

530 yards and 32 points on the road with half our starting O-Line and a gimpy Mahomes just coming back from the knee injury?

Yeah, i think we’ll be alright Sunday.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:24 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Truth.

530 yards and 32 points on the road with half our starting O-Line and a gimpy Mahomes just coming back from the knee injury?

Multiple botched FG's as well kept them from pushing closer to 40 points.
[Reply]
Sparta22 08:32 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
We’ve already seen the titans vs the chiefs defense. Nothing special.
[Reply]
MahiMike 08:37 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Nick Wright actually made a good point about the potential game plan.

Sell out to stop the run early while you’re building a lead presumably, then shift to more 2 high safety looks as the game goes on.

That’s an underrated plan of attack that really only KC can rely on with their offense.
I totally expect them to come out throwing and run Henry more in the 2nd half.
[Reply]
MahiMike 08:38 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Truth.

What about the weather? 15 degrees Sunday when our guys were dropping passes like crazy last Sunday?
[Reply]
JohnnyV13 08:46 PM 01-15-2020
Another interesting comparison is the 1990 Chiefs for the 2019 Titans.

These teams are strikingly similar on offense. The 1990 Chiefs had 36-year-old veteran castoff Steve DeBerg who had a career year with 24 TDs and 4 Ints. He torched teams with deep passes off play action fakes due to KC's strong running game.

The real similarity is the physical dominance of the O line and running backs. The 1990 Chiefs wore defenses down with the two-headed monster of Christian Okoye and Barry Word. They had 1800 plus yards between them rushing, but nothing much catching the ball out of the backfield.

If you look at total yards from scrimmage, their production is very close to Derrick Henry's in 2019.

Of course, that 1990 Chiefs team had a significantly better D. The 1990 Chiefs were 16th in yards allowed, but 1st overall in turnovers and points allowed. That team put QBs on their ass. Derrick had 20 sacks, Neil Smith 9.5, Dan Saleamua had 7.0 from the NT spot, with Bill Mass adding 5.5 from DE. Oh yeah, that front was backed up by the Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, Deron Cherry secondary.

BTW the 1990 Chiefs lost in Miami to HOF QB Dan Marino.
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:47 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyV13:

Veteran Tannehill is better than first-year starter Brady, with a passer rating of 117.4 compared to 86.5 for Brady. However, we need to remember that passing stats are up since 2001 with rule changes that protect both QBs and defenseless receivers. If we look to AV (average value) ratings, Tannehill was an 11 in 2019 while Brady was a 12 in 2001. AV is football's equivalent to WAR (wins above replacement) in baseball, in that they attempt to measure the relative value of players regardless of position.

I love Kurt Warner. Mahomes is significantly better than 2001 Kurt Warner and it’s not close. Obviously, it’s hard to top prime Holt/Bruce/Faulk but our WR group ain’t shabby. TE? Hahaha. Defense kinda a push. Coaching, not close.

I point all that out to say this, it doesn’t matter what the Titans remind you of, they’re not stopping this offense. They best score 30 if they even want to be close to being in the game late. Brady and Antwaan Smith couldn’t score 30 and the Tits won’t either.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:51 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
What about the weather? 15 degrees Sunday when our guys were dropping passes like crazy last Sunday?
I don't think weather was responsible for the drops.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:55 PM 01-15-2020
It just doesn't matter what the Titans do.

They could score 35 in this game.

Mahomes will score 36.

That's it. That's what's happening. He won't let them outscore him unless they get the ball last.

We are about to witness greatness.
[Reply]
Page 64 of 144
« First < 14546061626364 6566676874114 > Last »
Up