ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 62
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****Official 2024 Royals Season Repository Thread*****
ChiefsCountry 11:36 AM 01-01-2024

Year Two of the Matt Quatraro tenure. Time to take a step up this year. Active in free agency and trades this offseason. A new look pitching rotation and bullpen. Will the young players take the leap up offensively? Bobby Witt extension? New stadium? Will Vinny recover from injury? Salvy taking aim at the Royals record book? Will Cole Ragans turn into the best Royals starting pitcher since Greinke 1.0?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Seth Lugo, SP
Michael Wacha, SP
Kyle Wright, SP
Hunter Renfroe, OF/DH
Will Smith, RP
Chris Stratton, RP
Nick Anderson, RP
Adam Frazier, 2B
Garrett Hampson, INF/OF
Matt Sauer, RP
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:50 PM 04-09-2024
Yep no excuses now
[Reply]
Great Expectations 07:44 AM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Now they got the on the field fixed we can get the downtown ballpark now
LOL

I wonder if Sherman is placing the appropriate amount of blame on the disastrous marketing/messaging that they did on that vote.
[Reply]
GabyKeepsMeWarm 01:56 AM 04-11-2024
Are the Royals good? Best guess? Yeah, maybe.

BWJr is the real deal, and he’s just entering his prime. He’s not simply a potential all-star, he’s a potential MVP.

Maikel Garcia is good, and has times of being very good. Great glove, great speed and just seems to have a very high baseball IQ. I think he’s got a chance of being an occasional all-star.

Vinnie can hit. He had a bad first week and half of chopping wood, but that swing is real, and his eye is real. He’s gonna get 60-70 walks even in a bad year, and I really think he could be a very close version of Mike Sweeney, only left-handed. Also has so much personality and a very easy dude to root for. I think he could have some MVP vote seasons, and certainly a few all-star seasons

Salvy is doing it again. And he could be looking at a 9th all-star selection if he even comes close to continuing his current numbers. At the end, he’ll have his numbers, and even at his age, he’s no worse than middle of the pack at the catcher position.

Mervyl is potentially gonna be a beast offensively. If the work he’s done in the offseason in the outfield plays, he’s gonna be another potential all-star.

Nelson V. What a trade this has been. So far he’s been hitting to all fields, but his Kauffman numbers are insane. So happy he’s on the team. Potential all-star

Those are the first six dudes in the lineup. They’re getting it done.

The next three are a mixed bag, Renfroe, Frazier, Isbel…. But while they haven’t been excelling at anything collectively, they also haven’t hurt things too much, and they’ve all had a few moments already. Defense has been mostly solid, sans Frazier a bit. And nobody here is gonna carry the club, but hopefully not kill them either. Plus, Massey, Waters, and Loftin lay in the weeds.

But now we get to the pitching…

Wacha has the longest history of anyone in this rotation, and thus far, he’s been terrific. Dude is a total pro.

Lugo just got his 3rd start, and while he isn’t striking out many, he’s missing bats and making hitters look dumb or just hitting into easy grounders. Total pro. Haven’t been too many pitchers who went from being primarily relievers at the big league level to being starters, so I’m expecting a couple dead arm moments from him.

Brady Singer. Has he arrived? Or is this another odd/even year nonsense? He’s got the arm. He’s been mostly healthy. He’s in his prime and he’s looking locked in. He’s missing a lot of bats, and he’s doing something he hasn’t done much yet, getting a lot of easy innings, while still getting K’s. I really think he could get a no-hitter at some point. He could be an all-star.

Alec Marsh…. Way too early to say much. But if we can even get 5-6 innings out him or anyone from the fifth spot, we’re cooking with gas.

Cole Ragans is everyone’s hope and prayer for a real ace. He was the MAN last August and was the AL pitcher of the month. No small feat. He’s a revelation. The only question is can he do this for a full season. Cy Young and all-star potential.

Bullpen…. It’s been shaky. We don’t have a closer. We’ve got relievers and they’re all gonna have be used at the right time as I believe this crew is a work in progress. Nobody in this pen scares anyone. We have nobody who can go out there and simply knock em down. Thankfully, we have a good defense, and if they don’t give up too many meatballs, we should hang in most games.

So far, this season really couldn’t be going much better. A real rotation has been a revelation. But history says we won’t have a sub 2ERA from our starters, and there’s gonna be injuries and we’re gonna see Lynch, McMillon, Davies, Bubic and others at some point. No team goes without their share of injuries, but good seasons depend on limited injuries and nothing ever getting into stupid shit like losing 16 out of 20 games. Limit 2-3 streak losses, and keep your head up.

I think I predicted 77 wins +/- 5. I’m gonna stick with that, hope for the plus 5, and hope for even more. When the Royals win. People show up, and this joint turns into a baseball town rocking that stadium. Let’s win, rock that joint for a few more years before it gets lifted up and plopped downtown. Then we can just hopefully keep rocking while BWJr is in the middle of a HOF career…
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:19 AM 04-11-2024
Not gonna quote that whole thing, but pretty good takes. Team is at least fun to watch so far. I can't put too much stock in a 12 game window but 8-4 is a lot better than 4-8. Gotta shot to build some real momentum over the next 7 games. Get through May with a winning record and then I can start to get excited for the summer months. So far, so good.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:48 AM 04-11-2024
I did some dips into the minor leagues since the question came up the other day, and honestly, I haven't really paid attention as closely as I have in the past.

And BOY did those 20-22 drafts shit the bed.

Asa Lacy is a tough one. The team was also connected heavily to Pete Crow-Armstong, who is a legit top 50 prospect.

I made my disdain for the approach in the 21 draft clear at the outset, and so far Mozzicato and Kudrna have done nothing to dispel that disquiet. Progress for each has been slow and inconsistent. The team was also connected to both Brady House and Matt McLain leading up to it. Either would have been a much more helpful pick.

The 22 draft, they were all over Gavin Cross and he has been a disaster. Not looking like he has turned it around so far this year, either.

And then there's 23. Where they end up drafting 8th thanks to the lottery. I am not confident in Blake Mitchell at all. I'm going to take a moment to be sad they didn't land one of the top 3 picks as a make-up for a few years of bad luck (sobs) because Wyatt Langford, Dylan Crews, and Paul Skenes would all offer MAJOR help this year.

Not much reinforcement to see for the 2024 MLB squad as a result, and not really much in the farm system to trade should it come to that point.

KC does have 3 of the top 41 (6, 39, 41) picks in the coming draft, and it simply has to start doing better in this regard. The 2024 draft class looks to be college-heavy (which I guess shouldn't be surprising - COVID disrupted the MLB draft a lot in 2020-21, and a lot more kids ended up in college than drafted than normal).

They won't get Trevor Bazzana, the current favorite to go 1st, which is a shame. But a guy like J.J. Weatherholt would be a fun fit - LH hitter who makes a lot of hard contact while also having plus bat-to-ball skills and can run. Projects at 3B or 2B as a pro and is really polished coming out of West Virginia.

If you want a toolshed guy, there are a few in range for KC. Texas A&M OF Braden Montgomery is a switch hitter with a big arm and great raw power and speed. It sounds like his RH swing needs work, but he has shown progress this spring.

Charlie Condon at Georgia also has crazy tools, with a Kris-Bryant like profile (tall, lanky, huge power). I don't expect him to make it to 6. He's a 3B-LF type.

A guy I like a lot that I don't expect KC to have any interest in is Nick Kurtz, a 1B at Wake Forest. He's a bat-first/bat-only guy but is a really complete hitter who controls the strike zone, has great power, translates it to game action, and covers the plate well.

He has a few teammates KC could be in on, though. Chase Burns is a RHP, formerly at Tennessee, with a big fastball and nasty slider. As a college pitcher, he reminds me a LOT of Max Scherzer (not surprising considering both were recruited by the same coach out of HS).

Burns and Kurtz play with Seaver King, a 2B/OF prospect with a lot of tools - hit for power, hit for average, good speed. Seems Royals-y.

There's also Iowa's Brody Brecht, a really hard-throwing RHP.

All in all, I think KC SHOULD be able to get at least one college guy who moves quickly and has high upside. I'd be super disappointed if they go the high school route again.

In a dream world, the Royals fixate on Bazzana or Condon and make it know that they are willing to outspend Cleveland's #1 slot to get them (which would be $11.5M). That might be enough to scare those teams off of their guy and let him slip.

I'd like to see them get aggressive and use that extra pool to get one of the top 2-3 guys to slip for them. Hasn't really been KC's MO but it is positioned to do that this year.

If you're wondering how the hell that works, here is how. Teams talk to players about what they're looking for to sign. It's a lot more set these days with the slot amounts, but not every team is looking to spend its slot amount on a guy. So Cleveland gets $10.5M in bonus pool money for the No. 1 pick slot amount, but the Indians might prefer to sign a player for $8M and spread the extra $2.5M around. Etc. So, if a team with a bigger bonus pool that is willing to be aggressive with it makes it clear to "their" guy that they will overpay his projected slot, that player might start telling other teams that's what it would take and run them off drafting him.

So, say KC is determined to get Bazzana or another player that should be gone long before them. They can meet with that player and his representation and make it clear what they're willing to do to get them. That player/his reps can then overshoot that number to other teams drafting ahead of the Royals, and let the guy fall.

It doesn't happen often because it is literally putting all your eggs in one basket, but this is a year the Royals MIGHT be able to do it.

How fun would it be to add a dynamite 2B who hits for average and power, doesn't strike out, and walks a bunch to the middle of the lineup in 2025?

Fun, right?

That's Trevor Bazzana.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:54 AM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm:
Are the Royals good? Best guess? Yeah, maybe.

BWJr is the real deal, and he’s just entering his prime. He’s not simply a potential all-star, he’s a potential MVP.

Maikel Garcia is good, and has times of being very good. Great glove, great speed and just seems to have a very high baseball IQ. I think he’s got a chance of being an occasional all-star.

Vinnie can hit. He had a bad first week and half of chopping wood, but that swing is real, and his eye is real. He’s gonna get 60-70 walks even in a bad year, and I really think he could be a very close version of Mike Sweeney, only left-handed. Also has so much personality and a very easy dude to root for. I think he could have some MVP vote seasons, and certainly a few all-star seasons

Salvy is doing it again. And he could be looking at a 9th all-star selection if he even comes close to continuing his current numbers. At the end, he’ll have his numbers, and even at his age, he’s no worse than middle of the pack at the catcher position.

Mervyl is potentially gonna be a beast offensively. If the work he’s done in the offseason in the outfield plays, he’s gonna be another potential all-star.

Nelson V. What a trade this has been. So far he’s been hitting to all fields, but his Kauffman numbers are insane. So happy he’s on the team. Potential all-star

Those are the first six dudes in the lineup. They’re getting it done.

The next three are a mixed bag, Renfroe, Frazier, Isbel…. But while they haven’t been excelling at anything collectively, they also haven’t hurt things too much, and they’ve all had a few moments already. Defense has been mostly solid, sans Frazier a bit. And nobody here is gonna carry the club, but hopefully not kill them either. Plus, Massey, Waters, and Loftin lay in the weeds.

But now we get to the pitching…

Wacha has the longest history of anyone in this rotation, and thus far, he’s been terrific. Dude is a total pro.

Lugo just got his 3rd start, and while he isn’t striking out many, he’s missing bats and making hitters look dumb or just hitting into easy grounders. Total pro. Haven’t been too many pitchers who went from being primarily relievers at the big league level to being starters, so I’m expecting a couple dead arm moments from him.

Brady Singer. Has he arrived? Or is this another odd/even year nonsense? He’s got the arm. He’s been mostly healthy. He’s in his prime and he’s looking locked in. He’s missing a lot of bats, and he’s doing something he hasn’t done much yet, getting a lot of easy innings, while still getting K’s. I really think he could get a no-hitter at some point. He could be an all-star.

Alec Marsh…. Way too early to say much. But if we can even get 5-6 innings out him or anyone from the fifth spot, we’re cooking with gas.

Cole Ragans is everyone’s hope and prayer for a real ace. He was the MAN last August and was the AL pitcher of the month. No small feat. He’s a revelation. The only question is can he do this for a full season. Cy Young and all-star potential.

Bullpen…. It’s been shaky. We don’t have a closer. We’ve got relievers and they’re all gonna have be used at the right time as I believe this crew is a work in progress. Nobody in this pen scares anyone. We have nobody who can go out there and simply knock em down. Thankfully, we have a good defense, and if they don’t give up too many meatballs, we should hang in most games.

So far, this season really couldn’t be going much better. A real rotation has been a revelation. But history says we won’t have a sub 2ERA from our starters, and there’s gonna be injuries and we’re gonna see Lynch, McMillon, Davies, Bubic and others at some point. No team goes without their share of injuries, but good seasons depend on limited injuries and nothing ever getting into stupid shit like losing 16 out of 20 games. Limit 2-3 streak losses, and keep your head up.

I think I predicted 77 wins +/- 5. I’m gonna stick with that, hope for the plus 5, and hope for even more. When the Royals win. People show up, and this joint turns into a baseball town rocking that stadium. Let’s win, rock that joint for a few more years before it gets lifted up and plopped downtown. Then we can just hopefully keep rocking while BWJr is in the middle of a HOF career…
I think they COULD get to 88 wins in this division.

Re: the bullpen, I think they could add some help there from Omaha in John McMillon and Will Klein. Both throw hard and have nasty secondaries. And the bullpen is one of the easiest and cheapest in-season things to upgrade.

I'd still feel better about the lineup if there was a lefty veteran bat to mix in there, but Pasquantino and Melendez offer some potential there. If both of them perform, it also makes Pratto more expendable (not that he would get a TON, but he's trade-able surplus).
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:46 AM 04-11-2024
Imagine if the Royals fielded a playoff team during the Mahomes/Reid run. It would be almost year round success and peak fandom.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:45 AM 04-11-2024
How odd is it that Mecca (supposed Royals fan) who liked to talk all kinds of shit on the organization has disappeared from Royals threads now that they're playing good?
[Reply]
Mecca 11:51 AM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
How odd is it that Mecca (supposed Royals fan) who liked to talk all kinds of shit on the organization has disappeared from Royals threads now that they're playing good?
I posted the other day...they're not shitting their pants in April so hopefully that is a good sign.

My biggest concern is the ability to deal with injury, injuries will happen over 162 games and as was pointed out there is no depth on the farm at the moment.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:09 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I posted the other day...they're not shitting their pants in April so hopefully that is a good sign.

My biggest concern is the ability to deal with injury, injuries will happen over 162 games and as was pointed out there is no depth on the farm at the moment.
Lol you u have one post in a GDT and it was about Vinnie looking off because of his surgery.
[Reply]
TLO 02:31 PM 04-11-2024
Bobby Witt Jr. for MVP!!
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:58 PM 04-11-2024
Currently the best run differential in all of baseball
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:59 PM 04-11-2024
Headed to the Mets next?

:evil laugh:
[Reply]
warpaint* 03:10 PM 04-11-2024
Enjoy it while it lasts our 9th win last yr improved us to 9-26. The team is fun to watch.
[Reply]
Woogieman 03:12 PM 04-11-2024
Another good sign: The Royals easily lead the majors in run differential
[Reply]
Page 39 of 62
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Up