ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 474 of 3903
« First < 374424464470471472473474 4754764774784845245749741474 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 02:43 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Undertaker?
:-)
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:45 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
Considering that most of the known cases are people that have been tested because they're sick enough to be hospitalized, the fatality rate is going to be very skewed to make it appear worse than what it is.

If you look at the number of deaths from the regular flu compared to just people who have tested positive for it you would think the flu had a 10% fatality rate. Of course, we know that's not true because they're are far far more people who get the flu that don't get tested. When we look at the mortality rate for the flu, that rate is based off of the estimated cases of the flu, which is in the millions. People actually tested is only in the hundreds of thousands.

I see no reason to think that this virus is any different.
This
[Reply]
jjjayb 02:45 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:

How are all of these famous people getting this?? Just because they are around more people?
And amazingly enough, he's just fine. Like 99.9% of people who end up getting this. It's not that famous people are getting it more, it's that they have better access to getting tested.
[Reply]
TLO 02:45 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Is it bad that I don't remember?
Maybe I should clarify. I remember schools closing down, but I don't remember the rest..
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:46 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
1MM cases of H1N1 in the US in 72 days, not in the world.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-timeline.html

The numbers were are being fed don't add up to a lockdown. It just doesn't.
And amazingly enough, he's just fine. Like 99.9% of people who end up getting this. It's not that famous people are getting it more, it's that they have better access to getting tested.

Agree don’t like how the rich can get the test this fast.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:47 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
Agree don’t like how the rich can get the test this fast.
They pay for it from a private company....
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:48 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Agree but I’m sure some people would too but can’t.
[Reply]
TLO 02:49 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Private companies could probably make a killing if they go public with this.
[Reply]
neech 02:52 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
And did we lock down during H1N1?
Should we have locked down for it Donger?
[Reply]
jjjayb 02:52 PM 03-19-2020
I truly believe many more people have this or have had it than realize it. In December & January there was a big uptick of people with Flu like symptoms that tested negative for the Flu. Could it be they had Corona Virus?

At my work the department I'm in there were a lot of people that were sick with heavy respiratory issues. Most assumed it was the flu. The coworker that sits next to me was tested for the Flu and was negative. She did get diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm leaning towards thinking it may have been Corona.
[Reply]
srvy 02:53 PM 03-19-2020
Lot of our pipeline surveyors, inspectors and corrosion resistance tech's etc. are living on snack cakes and cheese and peanut butter lance crakers. They are out in the boonies working on pipelines. The cant getaway and travel 60 miles to nearest towns for takeout lunch we survive on a lunch pail and bread and cold cuts. Both are very hard to find so you get what you can go to your room and eat crap. They get out of the field after everything has closed.

There are 1.4 million Americans who work in the gas and oil industry and untold millions that are tied to it such as me. I have instructed crews to when needed go have your lunch if it extends past half hour charge overhead on your time lunch and if Pipeline Company foreman or super has a problem to call me. I am sure this is problems everywhere in construction which requires often and extensive travel. So far no angry calls.
[Reply]
Donger 02:55 PM 03-19-2020
Almost half of coronavirus patients have digestive symptoms, study finds

By Robert Preidt

March 19, 2020 / 4:40 PM / HealthDay

Diarrhea and other digestive symptoms are the main complaint in nearly half of coronavirus patients, Chinese researchers report. Most patients with the coronavirus have respiratory symptoms, but these findings from the early stages of the outbreak show that digestive problems are prevalent in many patients with COVID-19.

"Clinicians must bear in mind that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in these cases rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge," wrote the investigators from the Wuhan Medical Treatment Expert Group for COVID-19.

The researchers analyzed data from 204 COVID-19 patients, average age nearly 55, who were admitted to three hospitals in the Hubei province between Jan. 18 and Feb. 28, 2020. The average time from symptom onset to hospital admission was 8.1 days.

However, the finding showed that patients with digestive symptoms had a longer time from symptom onset to hospital admission than patients without digestive symptoms, 9 days versus 7.3 days.

This suggests that patients with digestive symptoms sought care later because they didn't yet suspect they had COVID-19 due to a lack of respiratory symptoms, such as cough or shortness of breath, the researchers explained.

Patients with digestive symptoms had a variety of problems, including loss of appetite (nearly 84%), diarrhea (29%), vomiting (0.8%) and abdominal pain (0.4%).

Seven of the patients in the study had digestive symptoms but no respiratory symptoms.

As the severity of the disease increased, digestive symptoms became more serious, the researchers found.

Patients without digestive symptoms were more likely to be cured and discharged than those with digestive symptoms (60% versus 34%), according to the study published March 18 in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:55 PM 03-19-2020
New analysis breaks down age-group risk for coronavirus — and shows millennials are not invincible

In general, the U.S. experience largely mimics China’s, with the risk for serious disease and death from Covid-19 rising with age. But in an important qualification, an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Wednesday underlines a message that infectious disease experts have been emphasizing: Millennials are not invincible. The new data show that up to one-fifth of infected people ages 20-44 have been hospitalized, including 2%-4% who required treatment in an intensive care unit.

Still, the most severe cases, and the highest rates of death, are among the elderly. Although 17% of the U.S. population is 65 or older, 31% of cases were in that age group, CDC experts concluded in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. While it is possible that the elderly have more chances to be infected than younger people, such as by living in nursing homes, that is considered unlikely, since younger adults encounter many others at work and school.

The rest of the article is here:
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/

The CDC report is here:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6912e2_w
[Reply]
Fish 02:56 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Lot of our pipeline surveyors, inspectors and corrosion resistance tech's etc. are living on snack cakes and cheese and peanut butter lance crakers. They are out in the boonies working on pipelines. The cant getaway and travel 60 miles to nearest towns for takeout lunch we survive on a lunch pail and bread and cold cuts. Both are very hard to find so you get what you can go to your room and eat crap. They get out of the field after everything has closed.

There are 1.4 million Americans who work in the gas and oil industry and untold millions that are tied to it such as me. I have instructed crews to when needed go have your lunch if it extends past half hour charge overhead on your time lunch and if Pipeline Company foreman or super has a problem to call me. I am sure this is problems everywhere in construction which requires often and extensive travel. So far no angry calls.
Half hour lunch break? What kind of sweat shop are you running?
[Reply]
neech 02:56 PM 03-19-2020
I truly believe many more people have this or have had it than realize it. In December & January there was a big uptick of people with Flu like symptoms that tested negative for the Flu. Could it be they had Corona Virus?

At my work the department I'm in there were a lot of people that were sick with heavy respiratory issues. Most assumed it was the flu. The coworker that sits next to me was tested for the Flu and was negative. She did get diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm leaning towards thinking it may have been Corona.

I noticed that as well many patients in the last couple months for flu symptoms, interesting.
[Reply]
Page 474 of 3903
« First < 374424464470471472473474 4754764774784845245749741474 > Last »
Up