ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 23
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Taco Charlton
ShowtimeSBMVP 09:11 PM 05-01-2020

The Chiefs have agreed to a 1-year deal with DL Taco Charlton, a source tells Yahoo Sports.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) May 2, 2020

[Reply]
nychief 10:51 AM 05-04-2020
I don't quite get the Speaks hate. He hardly played on season under a shitty DC and then was hurt the all of last season. I have a feeling if we had signed him off the waiver wire... there would be a great contingent here banging the drum that he was a high draft pick with potential who had bad luck and just needed a fresh start. Anyway, I don't give a shit one way or another...but he really evokes a lot emotion on here.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:53 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by nychief:
I don't quite get the Speaks hate. He hardly played on season under a shitty DC and then was hurt the all of last season. I have a feeling if we had signed him off the waiver wire... there would be a great contingent here banging the drum that he was a high draft pick with potential who had bad luck and just needed a fresh start. Anyway, I don't give a shit one way or another...but he really evokes a lot emotion on here.
He is getting a ton of hate mainly because he's a bad body guy, anytime people think you look out of shape as a pro athlete, you will catch a ton of shit.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:55 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
What has Speaks ever done with the Chiefs that would make anyone believe he would/could be an effective DE?

When he was in the game, he was almost always neutralized by a single blocker. He doesn't have any pass rush moves to speak of, and I don't remember him ever being successful with a bull rush. I don't remember him ever running down a play from behind along the LOS. I can't remember any play from the all-22 where he stood out.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
The only NFL tape we have of him is being played out of position, as a stand-up LB.

He hasn't been used as a strong side DE in an even front. He hasn't been used as an interior pass rusher in an even front.

Those are the things his college tape and general skillset suggest are best uses of him. We literally haven't seen either.

He flashed more and looked more competent than Tanoh Kpassagnon two seasons ago, and Kpass was an effective player in Spagnuolo's system, being used just like they would probably use Speaks.

We haven't seen him used properly yet, so it's too early to say either he's going to obviously succeed or definitely fail. Patience, people.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:58 AM 05-04-2020
:-) Dude did look slow as fuck, but so would any DT/DE tweener playing OLB in a 3-4. Fucking Sutton, man.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:20 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He is getting a ton of hate mainly because he's a bad body guy, anytime people think you look out of shape as a pro athlete, you will catch a ton of shit.

I don’t know about that. It can be argued that Gilbert Brown was the Packer fan favorite on those 90s Green Bay teams, not Brett Favre
[Reply]
Mecca 12:22 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I don’t know about that. It can be argued that Gilbert Brown was the Packer fan favorite on those 90s Green Bay teams, not Brett Favre
Ok people like super fat dudes when it's their position...when they think you should be athletic its kinda eh.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:25 PM 05-04-2020
I mean he said himself that he let himself go in the off-season. I remember hearing the reports that he had to get back in shape at camp.

Usually that gets you a short time in the league if you are lazy, especially a player like Speaks. You can’t pull that shit unless you’re elite.

Coming to camp in shape and ready to go is pretty much the basics for the NFL.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 01:36 PM 05-04-2020
You're judging him based on 1 year at OLB with the old coaching staff, by your criteria Kpass should have been cut before last season cause he had no chance of ever being productive.
I don't know, because I could always see the potential in KPass. He always seemed to have the physical tools.

When I watched Speaks, he just looked slow and plodding, with no explosion. I would love for him to develop into a very good player, I just think no one knows really what to do with him.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:41 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Dude did look slow as ****, but so would any DT/DE tweener playing OLB in a 3-4. ****ing Sutton, man.
I think this is the foundational truth of the issue.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:43 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by nychief:
When you are a slow, fat and lazy athlete, it is hard to build up loyal fans.

Unless you are John Kruk or John Daily. :-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:50 PM 05-04-2020
Speaks took it easy in the offseason again- but said he will cut the weight when he gets to camp.
Attached: speaks.jpg (53.1 KB) 
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:14 PM 05-04-2020
I guess it's not fair to hate on Speaks personally, but I despise the pick because it was a dumb pick from day 1. The comparison I will constantly give for Speaks is Turk McBride, another DE/DT tweener from the SEC picked in the 2nd round. McBride had 9.5 total sacks over a 7 year career. You don't take players like Speaks in the 2nd round who offer very little upside, you take them in the 3rd or 4th. I didn't like the pick of Kpass the year before either, as he was incredibly raw and took 3 years to finally contribute, but at least he had the physical attributes to see some hint of a future if he developed. Speaks doesn't have the size or strength to ever be more than a rotational pass rusher at DT, and he doesn't have the speed or athleticism to get after the QB from DE. Again, no problem with that type of player if he's taken in the 4th. But a 2nd round pick should be able to contribute sooner than later. Willie Gay or Juan Thornhill are the types you take in the 2nd. 2018 wasn't a stellar draft class overall, but there are multiple quality players at several positions that were taken not too long after Speaks.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:26 PM 05-04-2020
It's silly: Just look at the recent heavyweight championship fight between Tyson Fury and Deonte Wilder. Wilder was ripped from head to toe while Fury had a Dad Bod.

Who won that fight? Oh yeah, Dad Bod.

Unbeknownst to most people, there are three completely different body types.

Guys with Endomorph bodies will never appear ripped but that doesn't mean that they're not strong and athletic.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:29 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I guess it's not fair to hate on Speaks personally, but I despise the pick because it was a dumb pick from day 1. The comparison I will constantly give for Speaks is Turk McBride, another DE/DT tweener from the SEC picked in the 2nd round. McBride had 9.5 total sacks over a 7 year career. You don't take players like Speaks in the 2nd round who offer very little upside, you take them in the 3rd or 4th. I didn't like the pick of Kpass the year before either, as he was incredibly raw and took 3 years to finally contribute, but at least he had the physical attributes to see some hint of a future if he developed. Speaks doesn't have the size or strength to ever be more than a rotational pass rusher at DT, and he doesn't have the speed or athleticism to get after the QB from DE. Again, no problem with that type of player if he's taken in the 4th. But a 2nd round pick should be able to contribute sooner than later. Willie Gay or Juan Thornhill are the types you take in the 2nd. 2018 wasn't a stellar draft class overall, but there are multiple quality players at several positions that were taken not too long after Speaks.
Veach will draft busts just like every other GM. It’s too tough of a business to hit on these picks every year. His last 2 draft classes look very good to me.

Also keep in mind Veach got Ward, Neimann and Rankin on rookie deals who were from that draft class. I’d consider Nnandi and Ward to be hits while Speaks and Rankin are TBD. Neimann is probably a decent get. Not really good or bad.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:47 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Veach will draft busts just like every other GM. It’s too tough of a business to hit on these picks every year. His last 2 draft classes look very good to me.

Also keep in mind Veach got Ward, Neimann and Rankin on rookie deals who were from that draft class. I’d consider Nnandi and Ward to be hits while Speaks and Rankin are TBD. Neimann is probably a decent get. Not really good or bad.
No argument there. Veach did really well IMO the past 2 years. I don't always agree 100% with every pick, but I can generally see the rationale and get on board. 2018 was a different story, but I give Veach a mulligan on that one. I just didn't like the draft class that year from day 1 and that belief hasn't really changed. Speaks and DOD just weren't great picks. People have suggested the goal was to get scheme versatile players, but sometimes being a tweener doesn't make you versatile. In both of their cases they just weren't great at any one thing. I personally don't like tweener types in general, but that's just me.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 23
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up