ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 57
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:26 PM 04-27-2019
team of 3 volunteers changed 15 cars oil, replaced 4 Surp belts 3 batteries and rear disc brakes on a Honda for charity.,

i'd rather tote mulch
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:33 PM 04-27-2019
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
buy high, sell low, volume is the answer... Why by the bag?
Lowe's Mem. day sale is cheap but not truckload cheap...
Bags were on sale for $2.50 a bag, so with the lawn being so soft right now and lots of new grass just starting to come up, bags keep me from driving on the lawn.

So the ~$40 more I spent means I don't have to deal with ruts.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 04-27-2019, 09:49 PM
This message has been deleted by cooper barrett.
SuperBowl4 04:15 AM 04-28-2019
Just pulled out some bamboo roots that were invading my yard from my neighbor. Hard as hell to remove.:-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:33 AM 04-28-2019
explain your math at $39 a cubic yard delivered to driveway?

Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Bags were on sale for $2.50 a bag, so with the lawn being so soft right now and lots of new grass just starting to come up, bags keep me from driving on the lawn.

So the ~$40 more I spent means I don't have to deal with ruts.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:35 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
Just pulled out some bamboo roots that were invading my yard from my neighbor. Hard as hell to remove.:-)
You're fighting a losing battle read up as they are evasive as fuck. veg kill!!!!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:32 AM 04-28-2019
explain your math at $39 a cubic yard delivered to driveway?
Take this local place (for example) -> https://www.missouriorganic.com/mulch , 9 cu yds would be about $289, picked up. 120 bags, 8.889 cu yds, picked up, at Home Depot @ $2.50 = $300. Remember, a bag is 2 cu ft, so we put down 240 cu ft, that's 8.889 cu yds.

So you're right, my math was wrong, the difference was ~$11 give-or-take a couple of shovel fulls.

As for delivery, I didn't even look into it. When I woke up I wasn't sure what I was going to do, mulching is what I decided to do. So scheduling a delivery wasn't in the cards, who knows when they would have gotten 9 yds to us... Plus, I didn't have any idea I needed 9 yards, but I did...

Oh, and I forgot, since I have done "bulk" pick-up before, I would needed to take the tonneau off to do the bulk pick-up deal, that process SUCKS, so add that to the list of reasons to not go that form of "bulk" route.

And I'll add this, it's my opinion that, because the bags seem to be compressed, the effective volume of bags seem to give you more than the bucket-full route. I'm sure the bulk boys would disagree, throw some science at me, throw-in some bullshit, but I'm just saying what my observation is.
[Reply]
notorious 09:36 AM 04-28-2019
I live on a farm, and have around 7-8 acres of buffalo grass I need to dry fertilize in mid-late June.

Any suggestions on a tow-behind spreader? Thanks guys.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:44 AM 04-28-2019
Yes Your math is fucked up..:-):-):-) but I see your point but lets do apples vs apples

Buying bulk mulch is not much cheaper but hardwood mulch is a far superior product, and costs more, so much so that home depot does not carry it in all stores.

1 cy = 27 cf 8.88 cy = 240cf@ $29,99 a cubic yard delivered = $1.11cf x 240cf = $266

Home Depot $1.25 a CF or $2.50 a bag. $1.25 x 240cf = $300

Home Depot Hardwood mulch is $4.00 Cf or $480 vs $266//------------------------------------------

Take this local place (for example) -> https://www.missouriorganic.com/mulch , 9 cu yds would be about $289, picked up. 120 bags, 8.889 cu yds, picked up, at Home Depot @ $2.50 = $300. Remember, a bag is 2 cu ft, so we put down 240 cu ft, that's 8.889 cu yds.

So you're right, my math was wrong, the difference was ~$11 give-or-take a couple of shovel fulls.

As for delivery, I didn't even look into it. When I woke up I wasn't sure what I was going to do, mulching is what I decided to do. So scheduling a delivery wasn't in the cards, who knows when they would have gotten 9 yds to us... Plus, I didn't have any idea I needed 9 yards, but I did...

Oh, and I forgot, since I have done "bulk" pick-up before, I would needed to take the tonneau off to do the bulk pick-up deal, that process SUCKS, so add that to the list of reasons to not go that form of "bulk" route.

And I'll add this, it's my opinion that, because the bags seem to be compressed, the effective volume of bags seem to give you more than the bucket-full route. I'm sure the bulk boys would disagree, throw some science at me, throw-in some bullshit, but I'm just saying what my observation is.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:31 AM 04-28-2019
Yes Your math is fucked up..:-):-):-) but I see your point but lets do apples vs apples

Buying bulk mulch is not much cheaper but hardwood mulch is a far superior product, and costs more, so much so that home depot does not carry it in all stores.

1 cy = 27 cf 8.88 cy = 240cf@ $29,99 a cubic yard delivered = $1.11cf x 240cf = $266

Home Depot $1.25 a CF or $2.50 a bag. $1.25 x 240cf = $300

Home Depot Hardwood mulch is $4.00 Cf or $480 vs $266//------------------------------------------
OK Mr. P. Allen Smith Cooper Barrett, did you even click on the link I provided? If not, here it is again..

https://www.metric-conversions.org/v...ubic-yards.htm

I've done this more than a few times, and I know how much two one-yard buckets fills the truck, and how much each 30-bag trip to Home Deport filled it. The difference was nominal. That being said, 30 bags of bagged mulch seems to go a lot farther that a "2-yard" load of mulch that's dumped into the truck. But hey, that's just my observation.

But feel free have them deliver your mulch to Chateau de Barrett and have them dump it next to/on the Bentley, I'll allow it...

As for the hardwood, yes that's true, but it's spendy as hell.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:48 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I live on a farm, and have around 7-8 acres of buffalo grass I need to dry fertilize in mid-late June.

Any suggestions on a tow-behind spreader? Thanks guys.
I have a small spreader you can mount on a receiver hitch if you want to borrow it. I used it on our gator last night.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:52 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I have a small spreader you can mount on a receiver hitch if you want to borrow it. I used it on our gator last night.
CP is awesome!
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:52 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think it is this one.

But I rigged up a hitch for the receiver that would clear the back bumper of the gator, like this.

[Reply]
tmax63 02:31 PM 04-28-2019
I have a Land Pride 700 that mounts on the 3pt and runs off the PTO.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 04-28-2019, 04:05 PM
This message has been deleted by cooper barrett.
cooper barrett 04:35 PM 04-28-2019
So as I was saying you bought shit cypress mulch when you could have had the "spendy" hardwood Playground approved mulch delivered for less money.. I used pricing from Suburban Lawn and Garden who with over 50 years in business deliver only quality products.

Just lay a worn out tarp next to your ugly truck..
Spoiler!

and wheel barrel or dump cart it to your bedding areas. instead of loading and unloading it.

Calling me P. Allen Smith explains a lot about why you ended up with shit for the price of the good stuff. You must have been torn between yardwork or watching his show and the following new episode of Antique Roadshow:-):-)

With a contractor account, the price goes down 20-25 % on top of their everyday low prices.

OK Mr. P. Allen Smith Cooper Barrett, did you even click on the link I provided? If not, here it is again..

https://www.metric-conversions.org/v...ubic-yards.htm

I've done this more than a few times, and I know how much two one-yard buckets fills the truck, and how much each 30-bag trip to Home Deport filled it. The difference was nominal. That being said, 30 bags of bagged mulch seems to go a lot farther that a "2-yard" load of mulch that's dumped into the truck. But hey, that's just my observation.

But feel free have them deliver your mulch to Chateau de Barrett and have them dump it next to/on the Bentley, I'll allow it...

As for the hardwood, yes that's true, but it's spendy as hell.

[Reply]
Buzz 04:52 PM 04-28-2019
So as I was saying you bought shit cypress mulch when you could have had the "spendy" hardwood Playground approved mulch delivered for less money.. I used pricing from Suburban Lawn and Garden who with over 50 years in business deliver only quality products.

Just lay a worn out tarp next to your ugly truck..
Spoiler!

and wheel barrel or dump cart it to your bedding areas. instead of loading and unloading it.

Calling me P. Allen Smith explains a lot about why you ended up with shit for the price of the good stuff. You must have been torn between yardwork or watching his show and the following new episode of Antique Roadshow:-):-)

With a contractor account, the price goes down 20-25 % on top of their everyday low prices.

Dude, read your own post. You have to load the wheel barrel with a shovel and then unload it. It's more than twice the fucking work! The bags are much easier.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 57
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up