ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 912 of 3903
« First < 412812862902908909910911912 913914915916922962101214121912 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:28 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
But is it for real?

25 This is for reals
18 Y’alls
11 This is Brooklyns
yep. Sad scene. I read somewhere that NYC has 48 refrigerated trucks available, that can hold up to 3500 bodies.. :-)
[Reply]
stumppy 06:31 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
So now it's coming out that not only was China selling defective test kits and masks but were purchasing tons of medical equipment through a real estate proxy from Canada, the US, and Australia to ship back to China.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/nbc-pr...-are-defective

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-...t_3287736.html

Be advised that the blaze is a conservative slanted news service. Be advised that the Epoch times despises the CCP and has a clear bias against them.
Hell, we sent them 17.8 tons of medical supplies in Feb.

https://www.state.gov/the-united-sta...l-coronavirus/

This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:54 AM 03-30-2020
The U.S. Tried to Build a New Fleet of Ventilators. The Mission Failed.

As the coronavirus spreads, the collapse of the project helps explain America’s acute shortage.

Thirteen years ago, a group of U.S. public health officials came up with a plan to address what they regarded as one of the medical system’s crucial vulnerabilities: a shortage of ventilators.

The breathing-assistance machines tended to be bulky, expensive and limited in number. The plan was to build a large fleet of inexpensive portable devices to deploy in a flu pandemic or another crisis.
Money was budgeted. A federal contract was signed. Work got underway.
And then things suddenly veered off course. A multibillion-dollar maker of medical devices bought the small California company that had been hired to design the new machines. The project ultimately produced zero ventilators.

That failure delayed the development of an affordable ventilator by at least half a decade, depriving hospitals, states and the federal government of the ability to stock up. The federal government started over with another company in 2014, whose ventilator was approved only last year and whose products have not yet been delivered.

Today, with the coronavirus ravaging America’s health care system, the nation’s emergency-response stockpile is still waiting on its first shipment. The scarcity of ventilators has become an emergency, forcing doctors to make life-or-death decisions about who gets to breathe and who does not.
The stalled efforts to create a new class of cheap, easy-to-use ventilators highlight the perils of outsourcing projects with critical public-health implications to private companies; their focus on maximizing profits is not always consistent with the government’s goal of preparing for a future crisis.

“We definitely saw the problem,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, who ran the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2009 to 2017. “We innovated to try and get a solution. We made really good progress, but it doesn’t appear to have resulted in the volume that we needed.”
The project — code-named Aura — came in the wake of a parade of near-miss pandemics: SARS, MERS, bird flu and swine flu.

“We definitely saw the problem,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, who ran the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2009 to 2017. “We innovated to try and get a solution. We made really good progress, but it doesn’t appear to have resulted in the volume that we needed.”
The project — code-named Aura — came in the wake of a parade of near-miss pandemics: SARS, MERS, bird flu and swine flu.

Federal officials decided to re-evaluate their strategy for the next public health emergency. They considered vaccines, antiviral drugs, protective gear and ventilators, the last line of defense for patients suffering respiratory failure. The federal government’s Strategic National Stockpile had full-service ventilators in its warehouses, but not in the quantities that would be needed to combat a major pandemic.

In 2006, the Department of Health and Human Services established a new division, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, with a mandate to prepare medical responses to chemical, biological and nuclear attacks, as well as infectious diseases.

In its first year in operation, the research agency considered how to expand the number of ventilators. It estimated that an additional 70,000 machines would be required in a moderate influenza pandemic
The ventilators in the national stockpile were not ideal. In addition to being big and expensive, they required a lot of training to use. The research agency convened a panel of experts in November 2007 to devise a set of requirements for a new generation of mobile, easy-to-use ventilators.
In 2008, the government requested proposals from companies that were interested in designing and building the ventilators.

The goal was for the machines to be approved by regulators for mass development by 2010 or 2011, according to budget documents that the Department of Health and Human Services submitted to Congress in 2008. After that, the government would buy as many as 40,000 new ventilators and add them to the national stockpile.

The rest of the article here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/b...imes&smtyp=cur

[Reply]
Monticore 06:56 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
This virus is far more contagious than the flu.
Is that factoring in vaccines ?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:01 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
I am going to again ask a question I asked a while back...

If by April 3rd(Friday) we have a solid trend of fewer deaths per day AND we have more significant data showing that the treatments we are applying are effective (let's say a 50% increased reduction of viral load compared to a control group or we can use cytokine storm reduction as the barometer), would you support starting to reduce government imposed restrictions?

If not, where do you draw the line? What metric would you use?

The way I see it, at some point WE need to make up our minds where the acceptable risk lies. There is NEVER going to be a world without risk. The flu kills 20-60k a year in the US and we don't bat an eye, we live with that risk every year. What is the acceptable risk for Covid-19?

Just to preempt anyone talking about number of cases... I will say right now I will never care about that figure it is fairly meaningless especially if effective treatments are an option. Deaths are really what matters to me when it comes to this discussion.
The metric is and always has been hospital capacity and reasonable testing. We are slow to the tick. But I'm hopeful we're finally catching on. Very recently Battelle got FDA approval on a sanitization system that can sterilize 80k masks a day. Abbott labs has systems that can do 15 minute testing that hopefully get fast tracked. And while it should have been done sooner, the president has basically invoked the defense production act which is crucial because we badly need a lot of ventilators. I think the national guard will soon have basically medics to help increase capacity.

Keep in mind this isn't just about the elderly or the lowly immune getting sick. If anyone gets sick in the next few months. It also means anyone who gets sick or hurt will struggle to get care. Part of it is flattening the curve, a huge part of it is making sure we have enough medical care to take care of everyone. That's why I think may is a realistic target and why we probably won't need this for wave 2. Wave 2 should be significantly smaller, we will have widespread testing, and our hospitals will be very prepared.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:01 AM 03-30-2020
There seems to be some discrepancy on # of deaths reported yesterday.

CNN has it as 376, worldmeters as 264

either way a sharp drop from 525
[Reply]
wazu 07:10 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

Looking across other countries, it seems most are levelling off in terms of new cases reported. Some are trending down. Hopefully it continues.
[Reply]
neech 07:19 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

One of them was Joe Diffie. RIP
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:28 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city

Point of the story, driving their Springfield to my office, it was surreal. Ghost town and nothing is open and highways are dead. Weird feeling
===================================================

My brother who lives in Rogersville. was stopped on the James River Freeway by a cop and asked to prove he was essential. He has a letter given to him by the business that he is indeed essential. Showed him the papers and went on his way.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:31 AM 03-30-2020
Who could have seen this coming?
:-)

[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:33 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Who could have seen this coming?
:-)

It's like that La. based cult leader.... i mean Christian revivalist. "God will protect us"
This crap is how the epicenter in South Korea started.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:37 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
I am going to again ask a question I asked a while back...

If by April 3rd(Friday) we have a solid trend of fewer deaths per day AND we have more significant data showing that the treatments we are applying are effective (let's say a 50% increased reduction of viral load compared to a control group or we can use cytokine storm reduction as the barometer), would you support starting to reduce government imposed restrictions?

If not, where do you draw the line? What metric would you use?

The way I see it, at some point WE need to make up our minds where the acceptable risk lies. There is NEVER going to be a world without risk. The flu kills 20-60k a year in the US and we don't bat an eye, we live with that risk every year. What is the acceptable risk for Covid-19?

Just to preempt anyone talking about number of cases... I will say right now I will never care about that figure it is fairly meaningless especially if effective treatments are an option. Deaths are really what matters to me when it comes to this discussion.

Nobody will want to be the first to lift restrictions and they certainly won’t want to do it at any point that could be considered early. I think it won’t happen until it’s been two or three weeks of it being obvious to almost everyone it should happen.
[Reply]
Donger 07:40 AM 03-30-2020
So, both the drop in new cases and deaths yesterday held?
[Reply]
F150 03-30-2020, 07:46 AM
This message has been deleted by F150.
RedRaider56 07:47 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
So, both the drop in new cases and deaths yesterday held?
looks like it, at least percentage wise. Recoveries continue to go up as well.
[Reply]
F150 07:47 AM 03-30-2020
SPRINGFIELD, Ill (NEXSTAR) — Hospitals across the state are lacking proper equipment to deal with the Coronavirus.

Personal protective equipment and ventilators are few and far between. But the University of Illinois College of Engineering might have a breakthrough that could fix the problem.

They are calling it their Apollo 13 moment. A new emergency ventilator prototype that could soon be in hospitals across the state.

“This is a device that could be rapidly deployed,” Bill King, a University of Illinois engineering professor on the project said. “It is a simple device. It’s suitable for emergency situations where a regular hospital ventilator is not available.”

A team of 40 University of Illinois professors and medical professionals and physicians from Carle Hospital did what they thought was impossible.

They were able to build an emergency ventilator in just a week.

The prototype works very well,” King said. “So far it has run for 75 hours straight, and more than 125 thousand breathing cycles. It is staggering what this group of individuals has been able to do.”

The team has only been working on the product for a couple of weeks, but if all goes as planned, the emergency ventilator could be mass-produced sooner rather than later. All it needs now is FDA approval.

The IMA is now working with the University of Illinois and some of our medical device manufacturers to see if this can be produced in Illinois and be used in hospitals across Illinois and across the United States,” Mark Denzler, President of the Illinois Manufacturers Association said.

The University is partnered with the Illinois Manufacturers Association.

Factories across Illinois are already committed to building the supplies to keep hospitals running, and if that happens, it could change the game for hospitals moving forward against COVID-19.

“At that moment where we all saw it worked, it was such a moment of joy and excitement and shared experience for our team,” King said. “It was really amazing.”

The group now will take the prototype to clinical trials.

If it makes it through clinical trials, then it can get FDA approval and be ready for production.
[Reply]
Page 912 of 3903
« First < 412812862902908909910911912 913914915916922962101214121912 > Last »
Up