ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1022 of 3903
« First < 22522922972101210181019102010211022 102310241025102610321072112215222022 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bearcat 10:25 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
They may be contagious even after the symptoms have come and gone as well so even "recovered" could pose a risk.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Donger 10:28 AM 04-02-2020
Ugh, numbers starting to come in. Already at 13,200 new cases.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:28 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, the argument is whether they can go about their daily lives just because they aren't showing symptoms... and the answer is no, because without being tested, you don't know if they're carriers and possibly contagious.
True, but if the goal is an R0 at/below 1, there is a level of 'heightened and modified' daily life that can be resumed.

If you aren't showing symptoms but you ARE doing things like keeping up heightened levels of hygiene, avoiding prolonged close contact w/ others and keeping yourself away from at-risk populations, you can still operate at, what, 70% normal?

I just think too many people are acting as though there's NO distinction worth drawing between the openly sick (symptomatic) and those that are asymptomatic.

I still think one of the most fascinating things I've seen on this is the distinction between case progression and initial viral load. It seems more and more likely that people who get hit with this in a big wave at the front are wholly unequipped to deal with it and those are the folks who's bodies are prone to those cytokine storms where their body just goes into overdrive trying to catch up and they end up with horrifying outcomes.

People who get this from some kind of minimal contact w/ touching a handle with small amounts of virus on it and exposing themselves to low initial viral loads are believed to handle it very well. Those that are inhaling when someone sneezes in their face...well not so much there. That's the prevailing theory on healthcare workers as well - they're just taking a constant storm early on in their body's battle with it.

Asymptomatic carriers theoretically carry an equal viral load, but they don't actually expel/expose people as heavily IF they maintain those initial precautions (hygeine, etc...). Catching it from an asymptomatic carrier is likely to yield a less extreme outcome, in other words. Again, just based on information as we're processing it and of course over large numbers. There will undoubtedly be exceptions in both directions.

I think we miss the mark if we don't recognize some pretty key distinctions in how symptomatic vs. asymptomatic appears to be operating on the ground.
[Reply]
Otter 10:32 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The general pop hasn't the slightest clue about how to properly wear a surgical mask.

[Reply]
Monticore 10:33 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
True, but if the goal is an R0 at/below 1, there is a level of 'heightened and modified' daily life that can be resumed.

If you aren't showing symptoms but you ARE doing things like keeping up heightened levels of hygiene, avoiding prolonged close contact w/ others and keeping yourself away from at-risk populations, you can still operate at, what, 70% normal?

I just think too many people are acting as though there's NO distinction worth drawing between the openly sick (symptomatic) and those that are asymptomatic.

I still think one of the most fascinating things I've seen on this is the distinction between case progression and initial viral load. It seems more and more likely that people who get hit with this in a big wave at the front are wholly unequipped to deal with it and those are the folks who's bodies are prone to those cytokine storms where their body just goes into overdrive trying to catch up and they end up with horrifying outcomes.

People who get this from some kind of minimal contact w/ touching a handle with small amounts of virus on it and exposing themselves to low initial viral loads are believed to handle it very well. Those that are inhaling when someone sneezes in their face...well not so much there. That's the prevailing theory on healthcare workers as well - they're just taking a constant storm early on in their body's battle with it.

Asymptomatic carriers theoretically carry an equal viral load, but they don't actually expel/expose people as heavily IF they maintain those initial precautions (hygeine, etc...).

I think we miss the mark if we don't recognize some pretty key distinctions in how symptomatic vs. asymptomatic appears to be operating on the ground.
It is pretty amazing that there is still a lot we don't know about this thing, some of the smartest people in the world are still throwing mud at the wall seeing what sticks. Our instructions at work have changed almost daily the past 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Jerm 10:33 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I see this ended well..

...and people wonder why this continues to blow up. Complete and utter morons like that being in charge and having to make critical decisions is a key reason.

All of us in Missouri are finding that out now with Parsons running the show...
[Reply]
Mecca 10:34 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
We have more cases than Italy and Spain combined, we know where it's going.
[Reply]
Donger 10:35 AM 04-02-2020
CFR at 2.3% Let's hope we don't go full Italy and Spain in that metric.
[Reply]
Chiefs4TheWin 10:36 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Going to get worse before it gets better for sure.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:38 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It is pretty amazing that there is still a lot we don't know about this thing, some of the smartest people in the world are still throwing mud at the wall seeing what sticks. Our instructions at work have changed almost daily the past 2 weeks.
Yeah - lot of 'best guesses' being made.

But we're getting more information and I still think most of what we're learning about the disease specifically is good news.

The fog is clearing just a little bit with every passing day. It isn't giving us concrete answers on how it will progress, but it gives us little glimpses into approaches we can take with it.

But there's been more brainpower thrown at this thing than anything that has come up in decades, if not longer. None of the gaps are for lack of trying. And I don't imagine we'll ever close up all of 'em. But if there are answers to be found, we'll find 'em.
[Reply]
wazu 10:39 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Jerm:
...and people wonder why this continues to blow up. Complete and utter morons like that being in charge and having to make critical decisions is a key reason.

All of us in Missouri are finding that out now with Parsons running the show...
I live in Missouri and don’t know what you’re talking about.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:40 AM 04-02-2020

[Reply]
Mecca 10:40 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
I live in Missouri and don’t know what you’re talking about.
Mainly that Persons is a boob that isn't qualified to have the job he has.....there is no lockdown in Missouri he's left it up to governors across the state.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:41 AM 04-02-2020
And 1/5 of the deaths. So where is it going?
[Reply]
Jerm 10:41 AM 04-02-2020
Mainly that Persons is a boob that isn't qualified to have the job he has.....there is no lockdown in Missouri he's left it up to governors across the state.
Yup and Missouri's numbers rise every day...it's going to be one of the next hotspots.
[Reply]
Page 1022 of 3903
« First < 22522922972101210181019102010211022 102310241025102610321072112215222022 > Last »
Up