ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2734 of 3903
« First < 1734223426342684272427302731273227332734 273527362737273827442784283432343734 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 04:29 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I'm I'm reading this right - the 100 people in this study were admitted to the hospital, or at least got tested at the hospital.

So it's not like a random sample of 100 people who tested positive.
From the article

Originally Posted by :
“The results of our study provide important insights into the prevalence of cardiovascular involvement in the early convalescent stage,” wrote lead author Valentina O. Puntmann, MD, PhD, University Hospital Frankfurt in Germany, and colleagues. “Our findings demonstrate that participants with a relative paucity of preexisting cardiovascular condition and with mostly home-based recovery had frequent cardiac inflammatory involvement, which was similar to the hospitalized subgroup with regards to severity and extent.

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:34 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
So there's a new study out that showed like 80 out of 100 people showed some sort of heart damage after recovering from Covid. Most of these people recovered at home, a smaller percentage required oxygen, and 2 were on ventilators.

https://www.cardiovascularbusiness.c...amage-recovery
This is some scary business right here.
[Reply]
ghak99 04:38 PM 07-28-2020
People are interesting.

A bunch of soccer moms went all "Sr. 2020 lives matter" and pushed for a graduation and prom to happen. So, they finally happen outdoors and with restrictions. Now, those same people are running around with their heads cut off after finding out 4 people involved tested positive after the festivities. Well, what in the hell did you expect to happen?

I'm betting it's already having an affect in the board meetings regarding the plans for how to start school this fall.
[Reply]
TLO 04:40 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
This is some scary business right here.
I feel like we need some perspective - how common is this with other viruses, etc? What kind of damage are they describing in these patients?
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:42 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
From the article
That doesn't mean it's 100 random people. It sounds like 100 people who spent some time in the hospital then recovered at home.

Originally Posted by :
which was similar to the hospitalized subgroup with regards to severity and extent.
Meaning recovering at home (convalescent) was similar to staying the hospital. It doesn't mean it was similar to 100 random people who tested positive - which could include people with no or very mild symptoms.

So it sounds like your population here is "people with severe enough symptoms to show up at the hospital". Which is still scary. I've always assumed if you get sick enough to go to the hospital with this you're going to have long term problems.
[Reply]
jdubya 04:44 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Not good, will also caution that post influenza tends to cause a fair amount of cardiovascular issues as well. So it's not necessarily just about Covid doing it.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/irv.12470
?Asking ?for a ?friend but has this ?been peer reviewed? :-)

I scanned the article and it seems to acknowledge the possibility of undiagnosed pre existing conditions. The median age is 49 which is young but certainly in the age range where many can begin having CAD including inflammation. Interesting read and worth studying but folks dont need to run for the hills or dig a hole in the backyard yet.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:45 PM 07-28-2020
This isn't really notable news, but I love the headline.

Moderna protects 16 monkeys from virus; 30,000 humans await https://t.co/p0vKGJjJyM pic.twitter.com/Bb7tMsQYtO

— BNN Bloomberg (@BNNBloomberg) July 28, 2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 04:46 PM 07-28-2020
At least it wasn't 12 monkeys.
[Reply]
TLO 04:47 PM 07-28-2020
Someone from reddit who seems to know what they're talking about.

Originally Posted by :
Troponins don’t indicate clinically significant permanent damage. It does indicate damage and stress to the heart muscle which does not regenerate, but it does not necessarily cause a measurable decrease of heart function.

For that, you’d need long term follow up with echos, ekgs, and/or stress tests.

Elevated troponins is not uncommon in people with any severe illness, especially if they have underlying heart disease. Elevated troponins alone does NOT mean the patient is having a heart attack without other supporting evidence.

[Reply]
TLO 04:50 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
?Asking ?for a ?friend but has this ?been peer reviewed? :-)

I scanned the article and it seems to acknowledge the possibility of undiagnosed pre existing conditions. The median age is 49 which is young but certainly in the age range where many can begin having CAD including inflammation. Interesting read and worth studying but folks dont need to run for the hills or dig a hole in the backyard yet.
So I can take myself from Defcon 1?
[Reply]
Eleazar 05:02 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I think I met him yesterday...

Guy comes in the shop saying it's all BS. we had our first death in county saturday morning (a grandma who got it from her 5 year old grandson BTW) but this guy says the person who died was his mom and she never was tested for covid.

I told him it wasn't his mom they were counting, he countered with "how many people from our county could have died in one day? "

I personally know the lady who died. It wasn't his mom they were counting.
I think there genuinely is a problem with the media sensationalizing some aspects of the story by not reporting honestly or completely - such as what mix of the new cases are asymptomatic and the fact that hospitals, except in certain border counties and other exceptional situations are not overflowing, and how the death rate's coupling with the case count has changed.

That's an issue, and this sort of media dishonestly and sensationalism will send cranks like Pete and this person you met searching for things that seem more honest, and lacking the sense to know any better they will land on conspiracy nonsense
[Reply]
Pablo 05:05 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Get a degree in IT like Pete and you’d be real knowledgeable.
You mean a GED in IT.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:07 PM 07-28-2020
Ha. Turnabout is fair play!

Meanwhile, many countries that thought they’d brought the virus under control are now seeing second waves. Tegnell called those developments “worrying.”

“The positive trend is reversing, with an increase in the number of cases in Spain, Romania and Belgium, among others,” he said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-cases-plunge
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:42 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
At least it wasn't 12 monkeys.
Deaths lag, don't you know?

Give it two weeks, sheeish.
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:48 PM 07-28-2020
Russia is going to start giving their citizens a covid vaccine they developed in the next couple of weeks. What could go wrong?
[Reply]
Page 2734 of 3903
« First < 1734223426342684272427302731273227332734 273527362737273827442784283432343734 > Last »
Up