ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1873 of 3903
« First < 873137317731823186318691870187118721873 187418751876187718831923197323732873 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:00 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Just remember not one single expert said the Shut Down was to keep people from getting it.
The primary reason for the extreme shutdown measures was to protect hospital capacity/supplies... that has been accomplished.

The shutdown measures are emergency/acute in their extreme nature... states/cities should be looking to transition to more sustainable approaches as soon as possible.
[Reply]
tk13 10:00 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm also interested to see the outcome of targeting lockdowns vs large scale ones. Everyone brings up Sweden but I think you could intelligently do it while lowering the IFR to a reasonable level and keeping economic levels reasonable as well.
I think that would be really interesting, although we're such a varied country, could you enforce it? Would people from New York just take off to Vermont or Florida or somewhere else?

We are not anywhere close to unified as a country as Sweden.
[Reply]
O.city 10:03 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I think that would be really interesting, although we're such a varied country, could you enforce it? Would people from New York just take off to Vermont or Florida or somewhere else?

We are not anywhere close to unified as a country as Sweden.
As we've seen, we aren't a large all together blob. We essentially have 50 different outbreaks and levels and such. With everyones ability to travel, yeah, It would be tough.

But I still contend that if government was fully transparent and open about it, people would follow it.
[Reply]
Donger 10:03 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The primary reason for the extreme shutdown measures was to protect hospital capacity/supplies... that has been accomplished.

The shutdown measures are emergency/acute in their extreme nature... states/cities should be looking to transition to more sustainable approaches as soon as possible.
No, it wasn't. It was to minimize the amount of infection.
[Reply]
Donger 10:04 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Less "Mad Max" and more "Goodbye Lenin."
I'm not familiar with the latter.
[Reply]
O.city 10:05 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's been a while since I took calculus, but not matter how high or how flat a curve is, isnt' the area under it the same?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:05 AM 05-05-2020
Wow just reviewing my budgets...I usually spend around $400-$450 a month in gas. In April between 2 of us....$57.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:06 AM 05-05-2020
To avoid over-running hospital capacity/supplies.

Apparently you have already forgotten about the "Flatten the Curve" mantra that was repeated every three seconds during the past two months?
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:06 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
They started trials in Germany a few weeks back I think. Not many people though.. I think it was 12 people. I guess the first trial they just make sure no one dies from it?

And obviously make sure it stops the virus.

I see there is also another human vaccine trial that started yesterday as well here in the US. Both could be ready by September.

[Reply]
Donger 10:07 AM 05-05-2020

Apparently you have already forgotten about the "Flatten the Curve" mantra that was repeated every three seconds during the past two months?
Yes, that, and to also minimize total deaths. Those stem from minimizing the number of infections.

No, I haven't forgotten it at all.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:08 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Well this sounds great.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-than-original
That is click bait bull shit and nothing new. Not spitting venom at you for posting, but wanted the masses to know that articles all speculation and the science doesn’t add up. LA Times has to pay the bills to I guess.

Here’s a better point of view, and one that is actually all science and a great sign:

https://twitter.com/drmattmccarthy/s...666758144?s=21
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:09 AM 05-05-2020

You don't go to the hospital for Covid if you aren't infected. cmon
[Reply]
Redbled 10:09 AM 05-05-2020
Yes. Starvation isn't contagious.
That and people that still base death numbers on a national lockdown are mind numbing.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:16 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
And how do you predict how likely people will be to visit a restaurant given the fears of COVID?

(FWIW, we just did a study in Colorado, and only about a third of people say they'll go to a restaurant when they're allowed to. The rest will wait a few months.)
I'm not surprised. I think this is a direct result of allowing too much emotion to guide policy. People who regularly go to the hospital here still won't even go near it. The local movie theater, which was/is heavily subsidized, has all but said it may never reopen.

They scared the sheep so bad it did permanent damage. Anyone who dared to stop and think about the ramifications were shouted down at every step. If anything, I think this situation needed way more extremists on the other side in an attempt to slow the tide. Many of the people I would have expected to be those extremist were the first to hoard TP though, so all you could do was sit back and laugh.

Realestate agents are also noticing an interesting trend in the last few weeks. The surge in interest is coming from very specific areas codes. I damn sure would never live like rats in a cage, but I don't want the rats to flee their cages either. Many cities have dumped massive amounts of tax dollars into reviving downtown. It will be interesting to see how those areas revive their revival.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 10:16 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Wow just reviewing my budgets...I usually spend around $400-$450 a month in gas. In April between 2 of us....$57.
My gas usage has increased a little bit, but the overall cost has gone down a little.
[Reply]
Page 1873 of 3903
« First < 873137317731823186318691870187118721873 187418751876187718831923197323732873 > Last »
Up