ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Collinsworth with high praise for Eric Bieniemy
RealSNR 05:01 PM 10-26-2020
Yes, I'm starting a new thread. Fuck bumping old threads. You're not in charge of CP's thread starting budget, so :-).

From Peter King's article this week:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

Originally Posted by :
FMIA: You’re running a team, and your owner says, “Pick the coach who’s going to turn us around.” Who is it?

Collinsworth: [Kansas City offensive coordinator] Eric Bieniemy. I would’ve done it last year. All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy.

FMIA: What’s the hang up been with Bieniemy? Why doesn’t he have a job yet?

Collinsworth: I’m gonna give the league the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure there are other people that say that the Rooney Rule is not effective enough and that’s the reason he didn’t get a job. [Bieniemy is Black.] I can’t explain it because in my mind, I know him. I’ve had a ton of conversations with him. I know his character. He’s like [Tennessee coach] Mike Vrabel. He’s one of those in-your-face kind of guys. I was stunned. I told Al [Michaels] before our opening broadcast in Kansas City, ‘I’m gonna go after [teams that didn’t hire him] because that is wrong that the guy didn’t get a job.’

But anyway, then, to me, I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

FMIA: So you’re Joe Douglas, GM of the Jets, and it sounds like you pick Bieniemy, no question?

Collinsworth: Yes sir, and I’m re-creating Kansas City. Everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the Kelces and Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.
Not sure I'd take that gig if I were Bieniemy, but still. Not bad praise, eh?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:49 PM 10-26-2020
If you're EB you want the QB. Lawrence is more of an athletic Goff but thats still pretty good.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:04 PM 10-26-2020
Everybody says EB should go to Houston because they already have the QB but do they?

For all of his physical gifts, do we really believe Watson can run Andy Reid's offense?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:26 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Everybody says EB should go to Houston because they already have the QB but do they?

For all of his physical gifts, do we really believe Watson can run Andy Reid's offense?
Word was KC had Watson as a late 1st round pick. I would say Watson has played much better than that. Don't worry about recreating KC. For Watson you want 3 deep threats and a running game. When he had that he scored 25 plus a game.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:28 PM 10-26-2020
And he'll be an offensive coordinator again in 3-5.
Not if he has Trevor Lawrence, extra draft picks and a ton of cash to burn. You said it yourself, QB is the most important aspect of the team.

If EB can’t make that work in 2 years then he was never a good HC candidate to begin.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:36 PM 10-26-2020
This is what Miami got with a ton of cash this Spring:

Byron Jones
Kyle Van Noy
Emmanuel Ogbah
Jordan Howard
Shaq Lawson
Elandon Roberts

Jets have a few good players already: Bectin, Q Williams, J Jenkins, McGovern, Maye...and some decent draft picks worth investing like Mims.

Give EB a haul like that plus Lawrence and 2 other early draft picks? EB would be challenging for the division year 1.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:02 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Word was KC had Watson as a late 1st round pick. I would say Watson has played much better than that. Don't worry about recreating KC. For Watson you want 3 deep threats and a running game. When he had that he scored 25 plus a game.
It's not about recreating the Chiefs, it's about understanding and executing the offense.

It's pretty complex and a big reason why Trubisky failed.

I'm not convinced Watson can run it. Give him deep threats and a running game isn't the WCO, that's the E-P offense.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:03 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Not if he has Trevor Lawrence, extra draft picks and a ton of cash to burn. You said it yourself, QB is the most important aspect of the team.

If EB can’t make that work in 2 years then he was never a good HC candidate to begin.
You're assuming Trevor Lawrence is a sure fire hit. How many QB's have the New York Jets ruined over the years? It's kind of like going to Cleveland.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:37 AM 10-27-2020
You're assuming Trevor Lawrence is a sure fire hit. How many QB's have the New York Jets ruined over the years? It's kind of like going to Cleveland.
Lawrence is the best option at QB of the open teams he could choose. If Lawrence is too risky then why even leave ro coach any team unless it’s got a HOF QB?
[Reply]
burt 08:03 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Nagys offenses have been anemic ever since he became a head coach, Pedersons havent been much better either.
Super Bowl Champion Pederson? The guy that won the SB with our back up QB? ????
[Reply]
JakeF 09:20 AM 10-27-2020
It seems to me that Reid is pimping Bienemy hard because he wants Kaftka to be his main guy anyway.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 09:24 AM 10-27-2020
If I was Bienemy I would steer clear of the Jets. He really should have his pick of what team he wants to coach. Houston, ATL, Cleveland maybe but I wouldn't want to be in the same zip code as the Jets
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:24 AM 10-27-2020
There is also a possibility that Trevor Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:38 AM 10-27-2020
He had a chance to be the HC at his alma mater and turned it down.
I don't blame him. He can find a better school to coach. More importantly... It's harder to get an NFL job. It's easy to fail at an NFL job and end up at a competitive college program. Assuming bieniemys chances at an NFL head coach dry up in the next few years I'd imagine he'd happily try out college. And I still think that's a better fit for him than the NFL.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:44 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Depends on the program and the kind of recruits he could get. Hes a good coach so is Matt Nagy but it helps coaching under a HOFr and having a HOF QB and the best weapons in the league. Nagys offenses have been anemic ever since he became a head coach, Pedersons havent been much better either.
Which is where I am unsure about how he will do as an NFL coach. I also think he can be a bit of a hardass which is fine as an OC for Reid, but wonder how players will feel a few years when the team is struggling. But as a college coach he'll crush it with recruits and being a hardass suits that game well.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 09:54 AM 10-27-2020
Maybe Andy told him to stick around and he would be the successor. Andy can't coach forever
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up