ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Should Le' Veon take over as RB1?
Megatron96 12:43 PM 10-26-2020
So, at what point does Bell become the RB1?

I think there's a real possibility of it, and in the very near future.

Think about it: CEH wasn't supposed to be the RB1 this season anyway. He was supposed to back up Damien, and learn some things about how to be a professional, get some good practical reps throughout the season, and most importantly, be fresh for the playoffs.

Damien opting out is why CEH became the starter. But because of the drop off in performance between Clyde and Darrel/Thompson, Andy was using Clyde a lot. Maybe too much. The possibility of CEH hitting the Rookie wall was becoming more of a probability fwith each passing game.

Now Bell can provide all of those things listed above, while keeping Clyde on a kind of pitch count so that he's as fresh as possible come January.

Bell is a true top-tier 3-down back that can run, receive, and is one of the best pass protection backs on the field today. And this is the big selling point, IMO. One thing that I noticed yesterday was just how many times Patrick was getting hit. Bell's presence in the backfield should mitigate some of those hits.

And then there's his on-field presence. Defenses are going to have to approach him with more respect, simply because that's Le' Veon Bell. That aspect alone means that defenses won't be able to just come after Patrick as much, which means he should get hit less.

And we need Patrick to stay upright more, especially down the stretch so that he's fresh as possible for the playoffs.

And let's be honest: Bell is gone after this season. Andy has 8 weeks plus the playoffs to get the most out this deal, to exploit it and get everything he can from Bell before he loses him. And Bell needs to showcase his abilities and prove that he's not only still an elite RB but also that he's a good teammate, on a big stage down the stretch so that he can leverage a big contract in 2021.

The more I think about it, the more sense this makes.

I'm not saying it will happen, because I'm not on Andy's speed dial obviously, but I am saying that Andy should be considering it.

Anyway, where does CP stand on this idea?

Go ahead and flame away.:-)
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 04:41 PM 10-26-2020
1 chosen by Jones
1 chosen by Mahomes
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 04:42 PM 10-26-2020
1 chosen by Jones
1 chosen by Mahomes
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:43 PM 10-26-2020
And yet I have my thread starting privileges taken away
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 04:46 PM 10-26-2020
CEH has to be #1, there can be no RB controversy...
Bell better be the guy who supports CEH and earns his spot, if he starts being a problem, hes a Chief till end of the season and gone.

Plays his role well and dude is golden
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:52 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Personally I believe Damien is looking to be paid and will do what he can to force a trade. Bell is sort of a wild card, I see him wanting 1 more long term payday. So there is a good chance we don't have either. But that is ok, not sure you can tie up too much cap space in backup RB's.
:-)

What do you think teams will give up for a 29 year old running back that hasn't played in 2 years?

Good fucking grief.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:53 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
to the OP:

NO.

On the subject of Bell-how long and how much will the Jets be paying him? Like does all his guaranteed money come right now, or does it spread out over another season or two? It'd be sweet to have him again in '21 but I know we can't pay him what he'll be looking for.

You need a couple of guys. They'll complement each other well.
Jets owe Bell about 6 million, I guess. Just for this year, I think.

And I'm not talking about benching CEH or taking away most of his touches. Just scaling him back to about 15 carries, and maybe 10 targets? About 20 odd touches per game. Give our long-term drafted solution at RB some more rest, that's all.

Right now, CEH is taking the load at RB, because we don't have a RB to spell him significantly. Like I said when we signed Bell; he's not here just to run the ball. He's also here to take some of the load from Clyde, as well as show Clyde the ropes of being a NFL RB.

Before Damien opted out, the plan was obviously for Damien to be RB1, and have Clyde back him up, so CEH could learn from Damien and get practical experience spelling DW. Then DW opted out, and CEH became the RB1.

Well, with Bell it would just be going back to the original plan. Take some of the burden off Clyde, give him that opportunity to learn behind a veteran top shelf RB that he was supposed to get in the first place, and put a big chunk of the miles on a guy that won't even be here next year.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:53 PM 10-26-2020
CEH is the #2 rusher in the league and #1 in scrimmage yards but people here want to reduce his role?? I mean he’s had no offseason, hardly any training camp and was thrusted into the starting role after Damien opted out but yet is the # 1 or 2 back in the league
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:57 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
He will be 29 years old next year. Guessing he would like 1 good 3 year deal before he hits 30. Could be wrong. The easiest way to get that is to either force a trade and ink a deal with the new team or force the Chiefs to extend him at 3-4 mil for the next three, given CEH is the starter guess I am not seeing the extension. Awful risky playing on a 1 year deal probably below market value. Mostert did something similar this year and it makes business sense.

Damien Williams hasn't been healthy enough to play a full 16 game season, ever. He last played in 13 games for Oklahoma in 2012 and went undrafted for a reason.

Teams aren't giving up high draft picks and big bucks to a guy with a massive injury history that hasn't played football in 2 years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:08 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
CEH is the #2 rusher in the league and #1 in scrimmage yards but people here want to reduce his role?? I mean he’s had no offseason, hardly any training camp and was thrusted into the starting role after Damien opted out but yet is the # 1 or 2 back in the league
CEH will be most effective through the regular and post season if his touches are limited to around 20 per game and even then, we're talking 320 touches during 16 game season, which is still pretty damn high.

In 2017, Kareem Hunt led the league in rushing with 272 rushing attempts with 53 receptions for a total of 325 regular season touches or about 20 touches per game.

Through 7 games, CEH has had 115 rushing attempts and 22 receptions, for a total of 137 touches, which averages out to 20 touches per game (19.6).

Against Denver, CEH had 8 rushing attempts and 1 reception, down from 26 and 4 against the Bills.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:08 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Jets owe Bell about 6 million, I guess. Just for this year, I think.

And I'm not talking about benching CEH or taking away most of his touches. Just scaling him back to about 15 carries, and maybe 10 targets? About 20 odd touches per game. Give our long-term drafted solution at RB some more rest, that's all.

Right now, CEH is taking the load at RB, because we don't have a RB to spell him significantly. Like I said when we signed Bell; he's not here just to run the ball. He's also here to take some of the load from Clyde, as well as show Clyde the ropes of being a NFL RB.
Scaling him back?

He's had two games with 25 carries. Out of seven. The other five games he averaged less than 13 carries. And he's only had 10+ targets once.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:10 PM 10-26-2020
It's all about Andy Reid and the play calling.

Hunt in 2017 and 2018 had as many games with 10 carries or less as he did with 25 carries or more.

Nobody is going to get the ball a lot game to game with Andy at the helm.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:11 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Scaling him back?

He's had two games with 25 carries. Out of seven. The other five games he averaged less than 13 carries. And he's only had 10+ targets once.
CEH had 10 rushing attempts against the Chargers and 10 rushing attempts against the Raiders.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that the Chiefs offense struggled in both of those games, despite the Chiefs scoring 32 against the Raiders.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:11 PM 10-26-2020
This entire thread is why Chiefs fans don't deserve nice things.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:13 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
CEH had 10 rushing attempts against the Chargers and 10 rushing attempts against the Raiders.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that the Chiefs offense struggled in both of those games, despite the Chiefs scoring 32 against the Raiders.
He had 60% of his rushing attempts in the first quarter. They can't play that way and win right now. They have to run the ball more.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:14 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Ironically I think they struggled in the third quarter of the Raiders game specifically because Reid came out after halftime and tried to force the run game against a defense that knew it was coming (because he ALWAYS does that with a lead in the second half).

I'm not saying they needed to run less. I'm saying they did it at the wrong time, in an extremely predictable situation, and it cost them an entire quarter on offense. The game turned and we lost.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 10
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up