ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why even try to run out a kickoff??
Mr. Wizard 03:09 PM 10-13-2020
Is there any reason to run out a kickoff anymore? The refs are going to find a hold to call virtually every time now so the risk of trying to gain more than 25 yards is negated so often you lose more than you gain. I know someone out there can look up stats on this. Am I wrong?

PS Mecole has not made good decisions on returns lately. The ball he let go by Patrick was pissed about and the ball he let go between his legs was almost a turnover. These are lack of judgement mistakes.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:24 PM 10-13-2020
Two questionable decisions by one kick returner is not a solid basis for an argument to get rid of kick returns . . . in stats/probability class we'd say that the data set was "of insufficient size to make a determining."
[Reply]
seclark 03:27 PM 10-13-2020
because you play to win the game!
sec
[Reply]
DaFace 03:28 PM 10-13-2020
No, but often the ball is kicked right to the goal line. A returner doesn't have time to look down and see if he's a half yard in or out of the end zone before taking off, so if it's close, they're gonna run it out.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 03:28 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Two questionable decisions by one kick returner is not a solid basis for an argument to get rid of kick returns . . . in stats/probability class we'd say that the data set was "of insufficient size to make a determining."
You don’t have to get “rid of it” but let it the **** go out of the end zone.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:35 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
You don’t have to get “rid of it” but let it the **** go out of the end zone.
Why? Just because it seems like they throw a lot of flags during returns?

Seems like you'd just be eliminating a possible big play/scoring opportunity, just because some fans feel like it's not worth the chance the refs won't throw a flag.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:36 PM 10-13-2020
It's a league wide issue.

Go back and watch the game last night when guys were returning kicks after taking them 8 yards deep in the end zone.
[Reply]
eDave 03:37 PM 10-13-2020
Glory, spark, momentum.
[Reply]
oldman 03:54 PM 10-13-2020
What is the average return on a kick into the endzone this year? I'd bet it's less than 25 yards. The return is one of the most exciting plays in football, but taking one out if you're more than 4 yards deep is just foolish unless all you have to beat is the kicker.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:59 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
What is the average return on a kick into the endzone this year? I'd bet it's less than 25 yards. The return is one of the most exciting plays in football, but taking one out if you're more than 4 yards deep is just foolish unless all you have to beat is the kicker.
Not sure if there's an easy source for this year, but here's an analysis using 2018 data. In short, you're better taking a knee on average.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-or-not-return
[Reply]
New World Order 04:16 PM 10-13-2020
We need the X-Factor
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 06:52 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not sure if there's an easy source for this year, but here's an analysis using 2018 data. In short, you're better taking a knee on average.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-or-not-return
Exactly, I would like to bet that this year its' even more slanted. The rules and the refs are trying to take the kickoff and the punt out of the game, they just don't want to admit it.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:09 PM 10-13-2020
Unless you absolutely need to try and make a special teams play late in the game, don't return a kick.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 07:10 PM 10-13-2020
Because you might score a TD?
[Reply]
jerryaldini 07:24 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
Am I wrong?

Mr. Wizard is never wrong! If he is I don't wanna be right. Hey Wiz, can you confirm whether the Bill-Titans got postponed?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up