ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 978 of 3903
« First < 478878928968974975976977978 9799809819829881028107814781978 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 11:34 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
FL governor is finally issuing a lock down order going into effect tomorrow at midnight. To little to late probably.
I'm not sure how much these lock down orders actually matter, honestly. It really comes down to people's own personal responsibility. You can have strongly worded messages from the government all day long. Shut down this, shut down that, etc. It doesn't matter if we still have people meeting up in large groups for long periods of time.
[Reply]
Pants 11:35 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I mean I'm not a world traveler, but do they?

I mean our most cosmoplitan regions would hang with France, would they not? Our most laissez faire w/ Spain. Our most hard-charging with Germany.

I think one of the greatest disservices we ever do to our populace is to underestimate just how crazy different our cultures are throughout this country.

And thus far, the way the EU has addressed it hasn't different too terribly much from country to country. At least not any more than our responses has differed from state to state.

I could be wrong - I just think we oftentimes overlook the level of autonomy and diversity that exists geographically throughout the United States.
Yeah, I can see that. :-)
[Reply]
Pablo 11:35 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
:-)
Don't you know people in "the country" read:town of 12,000 will all start murdering because they are scared and that's the only way to solve the problem?
[Reply]
Donger 11:36 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
It's going to run it's course. Die out?
Yes, it will eventually. Just like all pandemics do. The question is what do we do to try to prevent as many new cases (and therefore new deaths) as possible?

You clearly did not agree with the stay at home effort. Do you wish to revise that now?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:37 AM 04-01-2020
Nuke China off the face of the earth
Would be a good place to start.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 11:39 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Huh:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...postcount=4881
CLICK CLICK BOOM
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:40 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Nuke China off the face of the earth
Would be a good place to start.
MethStream itching for a ban.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:40 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm not sure how much these lock down orders actually matter, honestly. It really comes down to people's own personal responsibility. You can have strongly worded messages from the government all day long. Shut down this, shut down that, etc. It doesn't matter if we still have people meeting up in large groups for long periods of time.
Yeah, there are a lot of people upset at Parson for not issuing one - but to what purpose?

Are there any counties in Missouri that are showing significant spread that haven't issued a county-wide lockdown order? I'm not aware of any.

And none of these statewide lockdown orders prevent you from crossing county-lines anyway because they're unenforceable. Nor are they going to be enforced by the highway patrol.

They'll be an order issued by the state and ultimately enforced (or not enforced) by the local police. In other words - they'll be almost entirely redundant at this point. They aren't going to do anything more than a lock-down order from county would do.

I dunno if Florida's different - perhaps their counties have addressed it differently. But I do think it's odd how quickly local leadership is pointing uphill (and then how quickly state leadership does the same) when in the end the MOST effective responses are going to be done on a county by county level. They'll have the best feel for how necessary they are, how broad they should be and how capable they are of being enforced.

Lots of people looking to point fingers for actions not taken that would've had little practical impact anyway.
[Reply]
O.city 11:40 AM 04-01-2020
Theres also the thought that we do this lockdown, then when it's over we'll just go back to normal.

Thats just gonna cause a spike.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:40 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I think they have had a great effect, sure there are some that don't care, but we have all seen the images of empty highways and places that are normally full.

I believe in the case of Florida they are going to lock down all the beaches and probably have police guarding the popular ones.
[Reply]
O.city 11:41 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, there are a lot of people upset at Parson for not issuing one - but to what purpose?

Are there any counties in Missouri that are showing significant spread that haven't issued a county-wide lockdown order? I'm not aware of any.

And none of these statewide lockdown orders prevent you from crossing county-lines anyway because they're unenforceable. Nor are they going to be enforced by the highway patrol.

They'll be an order issued by the state and ultimately enforced (or not enforced) by the local police. In other words - they'll be almost entirely redundant at this point. They aren't going to do anything more than a lock-down order from county would do.

I dunno if Florida's different - perhaps their counties have addressed it differently. But I do think it's odd how quickly local leadership is pointing uphill (and then how quickly state leadership does the same) when in the end the MOST effective responses are going to be done on a county by county level. They'll have the best feel for how necessary they are, how broad they should be and how capable they are of being enforced.

Lots of people looking to point fingers for actions not taken that would've had little practical impact anyway.
We don't know where there is significant spread, we aren't testing nearly enough. You can't know what you're looking for if you aren't looking.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:43 AM 04-01-2020
Yes, it will eventually. Just like all pandemics do. The question is what do we do to try to prevent as many new cases (and therefore new deaths) as possible?

You clearly did not agree with the stay at home effort. Do you wish to revise that now?
This is truth.

We really only have 5 defenses...

Shelter in Place to reduce the strain on hospitals/ventilators
More ventilators for those that do get sick to reduce mortality rate in that group
Anti-viral treatments to reduce the worst symptoms
Vaccine
Herd Immunity which happens after a lot of people get sick down the road

That’s pretty much the order in which this will play out.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:45 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I think they have had a great effect, sure there are some that don't care, but we have all seen the images of empty highways and places that are normally full.

I believe in the case of Florida they are going to lock down all the beaches and probably have police guarding the popular ones.
To use Missouri as an example again.

About 6 days ago, shortly after some of these lockdowns had been issued in/around St. Louis, there was a survey of highway accidents over a 3-5 day stretch (I don't recall specifically)

Over the same period of time one year prior, the accident rate was roughly 100 times higher. With no state lockdown order in place. Because people simply weren't on the road.

The idea that there are hundreds of people still out there operating fairly normally and therefore it means that nothing we're doing has a measurable impact is just folly.

If a plan requires 100% compliance - scrap that plan. That's a bad plan. If Andy Reid calls a game that requires everyone on the field to execute perfectly 100% of the time in order to win - that's a bad coach.

The amount of buy in we've seen in this country is pretty spectacular. But just as people know full well that smoking, drinking and driving, not wearing a seatbelt and a whole slew of other things are dangerous to themselves and others but do it anyway - people are going to defy these orders. It's going to happen.

So again, if the fundamental premise of your plan is that 350 million people are suddenly going to be come wholly obedient stewards of the public good - Jesus, that is an AWFUL plan. Get a new one.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:46 AM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
We don't know where there is significant spread, we aren't testing nearly enough. You can't know what you're looking for if you aren't looking.
You can see where there is significant spread by looking at the hospitals and how full they are.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 11:48 AM 04-01-2020

I didn't realize we didn't have what we would need on the front end.

What is happening on the back end is absolutely brutal though. We do need to get up and running ASAP. As soon as we have the supplies and beds. I don't think people understand what can happen to this country on the back end. If we had the supplies, I would have never been for shelter in place, hence the response. I have said this before.
[Reply]
Page 978 of 3903
« First < 478878928968974975976977978 9799809819829881028107814781978 > Last »
Up