ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1936 of 3903
« First < 936143618361886192619321933193419351936 193719381939194019461986203624362936 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAUTO 12:01 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I'm sorry, man. That was just a horrible attempt at making fun of BleedingRed for saying another asinine thing.

I know Europe is not a country, but rather a continent with many countries on it. :-)
ok lol. so much stupid in this thread
[Reply]
O.city 12:02 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Do you ever wonder?
Any new info on the meat plant up there?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:04 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This going to TOUCH on something that could be called broadly 'political' but is more psychological, and has been bugging me for so long here that it needs to be said, even if people misinterpret it and b& me. And I would add, if this post bothers folks as over the line, I'd ask that they give me an oportunity to rephrase or retract, as I'm not trying to make a partisan point, but an important philosophical and strategic one.

I'm going to try to express it succinctly, so I apologize if it abridges some nuances, . . . but we live in a free society with inalienable rights, so it seems that all this energy devoted to shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights are an illusion would be better devoted to persuading people that their rights should be momentarily lended to an extraordinary circumstance.

And part of that is being brutally honest about the best and worst case scenarios as well as the reasons why they are still speculative.

Maybe it's just my psychological makeup, but I realize a lot of the merits of various narratives, but I also see the pitfalls and/or uncertainties being downplayed or hidden. But even if one were absolutely convinced of a plan of action, I don't understand why they don't work harder to persuade instead of snark and belittlement [even if they're getting it back].

When seeking behavior from another person, you can either persuade [with reasoning or enticement or flattery, or whatever] or you can force with whatever heft and muscle you can muster.
Or you can realize we live in a society where rights are legal fiction and act accordingly.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:06 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This going to TOUCH on something that could be called broadly 'political' but is more psychological, and has been bugging me for so long here that it needs to be said I need to say it, even if people misinterpret it and b& me. And I would add, if this post bothers folks as over the line, I'd ask that they give me an oportunity to rephrase or retract, as I'm not trying to make a partisan point, but an important philosophical and strategic one.

I'm going to try to express it succinctly, so I apologize if it abridges some nuances, . . . but we live in a free society with inalienable rights, so it seems that all this energy devoted to shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights are an illusion would be better devoted to persuading people that their rights should be momentarily lended to an extraordinary circumstance.

And part of that is being brutally honest about the best and worst case scenarios as well as the reasons why they are still speculative.

Maybe it's just my psychological makeup, but I realize a lot of the merits of various narratives, but I also see the pitfalls and/or uncertainties being downplayed or hidden. But even if one were absolutely convinced of a plan of action, I don't understand why they don't work harder to persuade instead of snark and belittlement [even if they're getting it back].

When seeking behavior from another person, you can either persuade [with reasoning or enticement or flattery, or whatever] or you can force with whatever heft and muscle you can muster.

If the end goal is unified response, it seems far better to say 'this is why it's important, and here's what it might cost, and we're not sure it can work but it's our best effort' than 'this is the way it is, and if you have questions stop being stupid and listen and obey.'
Snark and belittlement is how people communicate now with anyone that doesn't think the same as them...social media is a big part of that.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:08 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Or you can realize we live in a society where rights are legal fiction and act accordingly.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:08 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
huh? england is a country. not europe as far as i remember
Economic Community
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:08 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Snark and belittlement is how people communicate now with anyone that doesn't think the same as them...social media is a big part of that.
Pretty sure the essay suggesting infant cannibalism as a solution to Irish economic problems predated Myspace.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 12:09 PM 05-07-2020
People who are holding up South Korea as a supposed example of how the virus can be successfully contained should read up on their ongoing “everyday life quarantine” restrictions which still ban mass gatherings, require face masks, etc.

All of that “new normal” bullshit will remain in place until a vaccine is developed... even in a supposed “success” country such as South Korea.

So once again the question remains, if no scalable/effective vaccine is ever developed... does “everyday life quarantine” and the “new normal” become permanent?

Even the most hardcore lockdown supporters would agree that is not sustainable.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:09 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Europe is country, dumbass. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 12:10 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
In other news, chainsaw bears...

Image: Not Safe for Work
The constitution says it's a right to arm bears.
[Reply]
Donger 12:10 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
People who are holding up South Korea as a supposed example of how the virus can be successfully contained should read up on their ongoing “everyday life quarantine” restrictions which still ban mass gatherings, require face masks, etc.

All of that “new normal” bullshit will remain in place until a vaccine is developed... even in a supposed “success” country such as South Korea.

So once again the question remains, if no scalable/effective vaccine is ever developed... does “everyday life quarantine” and the “new normal” become permanent.

Even the most hardcore lockdown supporters would agree that is not sustainable.
Wearing a mask isn't unsustainable.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:10 PM 05-07-2020
Do you find it effective, or merely cathartic?
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:11 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Wearing a mask isn't unsustainable.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:11 PM 05-07-2020
One huge problem our society has is holding up fucking comedians as sources of philosophical wisdom so that quote doesn't really resonate with me.
[Reply]
TLO 12:12 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Any new info on the meat plant up there?
400+ of what they're still determining to be "asymptomatic" cases.

1 worker in his 40's passed away. He was tested April 24th I believe. He had underlying health conditions.

Not much else has been reported. Our numbers in Buchanan County continue to rise, but it's not been made clear if these are stragglers from the plant that weren't tested before, or if they are from the community.
[Reply]
Page 1936 of 3903
« First < 936143618361886192619321933193419351936 193719381939194019461986203624362936 > Last »
Up