ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1935 of 3903
« First < 935143518351885192519311932193319341935 193619371938193919451985203524352935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 11:36 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
j
:-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:37 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Europe is country, dumbass. :-)
huh? england is a country. not europe as far as i remember
[Reply]
Pablo 11:37 AM 05-07-2020
Classic penz, just beautiful work.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:38 AM 05-07-2020
In other news, chainsaw bears...

Image: Not Safe for Work

[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:40 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
You know, I don’t think this country has the social cohesion to employ those strategies. Even if 80% are willing to do it, if 10 or 20% actively flout those strategies that is probably enough to cause them to fail.

I think the 20% has probably won. The 80% might as well admit defeat and open everything back up.
we are competing against each other over a virus that can kill millions. American as fuck
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:40 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
In other news, chainsaw bears...

Image: Not Safe for Work
nsfw grizzly details
[Reply]
Pablo 11:43 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
we are competing against each other over a virus that can kill millions. American as fuck
You guess which car is the Rona and which one is America..

[Reply]
Pants 11:43 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
huh? england is a country. not europe as far as i remember
I'm sorry, man. That was just a horrible attempt at making fun of BleedingRed for saying another asinine thing.

I know Europe is not a country, but rather a continent with many countries on it. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 11:50 AM 05-07-2020
I'm sorry, man. That was just a horrible attempt at making fun of BleedingRed for saying another asinine thing.

I know Europe is not a country, but rather a continent with many countries on it. :-)
And knowing is half the battle ..... :-)
[Reply]
Mecca 11:52 AM 05-07-2020

[Reply]
Donger 11:56 AM 05-07-2020

On it? I'd say in it.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:56 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I've been out fishing and mushroom hunting quite a bit this spring and shit is packed everywhere. I guess I should just be thankful I have some hobbies I can still enjoy when everything else is locked down, but shit, get outta my spots you assholes.
I need to figure out where to go to find morels up here, only few I have found were in my flower garden , they were pretty tasty
[Reply]
TLO 11:59 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
You guess which car is the Rona and which one is America..

I think the Supra ends up winning this race, if I'm remembering correctly?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:00 PM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Definitely... for the most part, I'd say scientists and doctors know they don't know everything (there are obviously the arrogant douchebags, just like in any other career).

Hell, I've been in IT for almost 20 years now and just a few weeks ago dug myself into quite the hole and ended up wasting a couple hours of my time and others' time believing I knew the problem, just for it to be the equivalent of "have you tried rebooting"..... confidence backed by years of experience can bite you in the ass sometimes, but having that confidence in the first place doesn't mean you don't know in the back of your head that you could be wrong... and it doesn't mean you're just an arrogant know-it-all scientist/doctor/IT geek.

The hurricane tracking analogy has been used a lot here... and maybe you study hurricanes for years and that bumps up your knowledge from completely guessing to your educated guess giving you a 10% higher chance of being right. And maybe you have the chance to learn a little from each time you track.

How many pandemics does someone get to learn from in a career in infectious diseases? Of course they're going to be wrong... a lot.

Tell Patrick Mahomes right after college that after all of his practice, college games etc; he can only go out and throw one pass per NFL season, but he needs to learn from that one pass/game, or otherwise he sucks and all that practice meant nothing. And a guy on the internet would think he could do better in the same situation.
This going to TOUCH on something that could be called broadly 'political' but is more psychological, and has been bugging me for so long here that it needs to be said I need to say it, even if people misinterpret it and b& me. And I would add, if this post bothers folks as over the line, I'd ask that they give me an oportunity to rephrase or retract, as I'm not trying to make a partisan point, but an important philosophical and strategic one.

I'm going to try to express it succinctly, so I apologize if it abridges some nuances, . . . but we live in a free society with inalienable rights, so it seems that all this energy devoted to shaming and belittling people into conceding their rights are an illusion would be better devoted to persuading people that their rights should be momentarily lended to an extraordinary circumstance.

And part of that is being brutally honest about the best and worst case scenarios as well as the reasons why they are still speculative.

Maybe it's just my psychological makeup, but I realize a lot of the merits of various narratives, but I also see the pitfalls and/or uncertainties being downplayed or hidden. But even if one were absolutely convinced of a plan of action, I don't understand why they don't work harder to persuade instead of snark and belittlement [even if they're getting it back].

When seeking behavior from another person, you can either persuade [with reasoning or enticement or flattery, or whatever] or you can force with whatever heft and muscle you can muster.

If the end goal is unified response, it seems far better to say 'this is why it's important, and here's what it might cost, and we're not sure it can work but it's our best effort' than 'this is the way it is, and if you have questions stop being stupid and listen and obey.'
[Reply]
TLO 12:01 PM 05-07-2020
Do you ever wonder?
[Reply]
Page 1935 of 3903
« First < 935143518351885192519311932193319341935 193619371938193919451985203524352935 > Last »
Up