ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What was it that made Damien so prolific in the postseason?
Direckshun 06:34 AM 08-15-2020
I’d been thinking about it off and on.

Damien’s regular seasons have puttered along until he takes off in december and doesn’t look back.

10 postseason TDs. Somebody else said that’s more than Edelman.

Is it something in his playing style? Is it just Mahomes? Could anybody else have done this?

Because I don’t think anybody here would even name him a Pro Bowler.

What is it that made Damien so damn prolific in the postseason?
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:13 PM 08-15-2020
Our OL was dinged up for about 10 weeks (starting 5 only had 56 snaps together going into week 10 or 11). It took about 5 weeks for them to rebuild their chemistry.

In the playoffs opposing defenses played a lot of 4-man fronts, some even 2- or 3-man fronts; 2 LBs. Not sure our running game ever faced a 7-man box. A lot of the time it was 5-6 man boxes.

Damien seemed to run harder and with more elusiveness late in the season and in the post-season than anything he did early in the season.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:30 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
"BALLER". And now you know why Veach brought this kid in. "BALLER when it counts BIG".

Don't go into scouting my friend.:-)
Hes a nice 3rd down back.

KC was 23rd in rushing for a reason.

Obviously veach and reid agreed or we wouldn't have used a 1st round pick on a running back.
[Reply]
bdj23 02:32 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
This happens all the time in sports. Average players rise up and make big plays in bursts.

Think Buddy Biancalana, David Freese, Colon, and countless others.

Maybe there’s less pressure on guys like this who most have little expectations for?
Freese is almost a +20 war player. Hardly average.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Our OL was dinged up for about 10 weeks (starting 5 only had 56 snaps together going into week 10 or 11). It took about 5 weeks for them to rebuild their chemistry.
Kareem Hunt played behind a makeshift line in 2018 and was on pace for more than 1,400 rushing yards before he was cut.

Willams is a nice player but he’s never been healthy for an entire 16 game season, let alone, a 19 game season, which is why I said back in March that the Chiefs would take a running back early and possibly in the first round.

Of course, CP said I was wrong and that the Chiefs just needed better offensive lineman but lo and behold, the Chiefs took a running back in the first round.

Williams played well in the playoffs and Super Bowl and like the rest of the team, caught fire at the exact right time. If he could do that year-in and year-out, the Chiefs wouldn't be able to afford him on their roster.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:51 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Kareem Hunt played behind a makeshift line in 2018 and was on pace for more than 1,400 rushing yards before he was cut.

Willams is a nice player but he’s never been healthy for an entire 16 game season, let alone, a 19 game season, which is why I said back in March that the Chiefs would take a running back early and possibly in the first round.

Of course, CP said I was wrong and that the Chiefs just needed better offensive lineman but lo and behold, the Chiefs took a running back in the first round.

Williams played well in the playoffs and Super Bowl and like the rest of the team, caught fire at the exact right time. If he could do that year-in and year-out, the Chiefs wouldn't be able to afford him on their roster.
Half the people around here argued that Chris Jones was a liability and the defense was better without him.

This place tends to fall in love with average players and shit on the great ones.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:09 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Damien only had 3 good games all of last season including the superbowl.

His 2 good regular season games were bolstered by an 84 yard run against the vikings and a 91 yarder against the chargers (that was an awesome run though).

Outside of the few long ones he popped off he wasnt that productive. Especially in short yardage.
That’s a bit unfair, though.

We likely don’t beat the Chargers or the Vikings without Damien. He was that critical to our HFA this year. He was also averaging 4 YPC against a great front against the Titans and was critical to our 7 minute drive that put us up 28-17 against the Titans. The thing that hurt his average was when Reid called three straight draw plays up 35-24 (with 2 minutes remaining) that the Titans keyed in on with their front and our weak IOL.

I agree CEH is the future and just watching Kollmann’s analysis on CEH makes me stoked about this offense, but I do not think we win the SB a without Damien this year - and that’s a big ****ing deal.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:28 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Oh, I LIKE that!
So does billay.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:19 PM 08-15-2020
I'm not a real big Damien fan, mediocre in the regular season missed 5 games, and because of the absence he's "fresh" for the playoffs
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:22 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Then there is Demarcus Robinson. Very non-clutch in the playoffs.
That doesn’t count. He’s ALWAYS non-clutch. :-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:31 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That doesn’t count. He’s ALWAYS non-clutch. :-)
In my opinion, this, along with “Ward isn’t a very good corner” are two unfair takes that have developed since the Texans game.

They both had terrible games, don’t get me wrong - but it’s amazing how quickly people have forgotten how clutch DRob was in the early season (and against the Patriots last year) when the lights were brightest.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:53 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
In my opinion, this, along with “Ward isn’t a very good corner” are two unfair takes that have developed since the Texans game.

They both had terrible games, don’t get me wrong - but it’s amazing how quickly people have forgotten how clutch DRob was in the early season (and against the Patriots last year) when the lights were brightest.
Term "Clutch" doesn't really have any meaning in sports.

Some guys are just great all the freaking time, while others just can't rise to that level of play on a consistent basis.

Consistency is separates "normal" players (who are light years ahead of the other 8 billion people on this planet in terms of sports and athleticism) from those that are consistently great on a daily basis.

Demarcus Robinson is a guy, that for whatever reason, is an average player, so it's normal that he'll have highs and lows. Coming up with a routine TD catch doesn't make him any more "clutch" than seeing him drop an easy 3rd down, then saying he sucks.

He's an elite athlete on the field with other elite athletes but he's not a consistent elite athlete, which is what separates him from greatness.
[Reply]
MahiMike 07:00 PM 08-15-2020
I was watching the AFC championship game and thinking the same. It will take CEH 2 years to equal that accomplishment.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:06 PM 08-15-2020

Some guys are just great all the freaking time, while others just can't rise to that level of play on a consistent basis.

Consistency is separates "normal" players (who are light years ahead of the other 8 billion people on this planet in terms of sports and athleticism) from those that are consistently great on a daily basis.

Demarcus Robinson is a guy, that for whatever reason, is an average player, so it's normal that he'll have highs and lows. Coming up with a routine TD catch doesn't make him any more "clutch" than seeing him drop an easy 3rd down, then saying he sucks.

He's an elite athlete on the field with other elite athletes but he's not a consistent elite athlete, which is what separates him from greatness.
Baby steps. It didn't contain an awful Royal comparison.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:24 PM 08-15-2020

Fair point about use of the word “clutch.” I’ve just seen it thrown around now that DRob’s never one to come through in big time moments despite him having perhaps the most pivotal catch of the AFC Championship Game (against the Patriots) as well as insane catches against the Ravens and Raiders in the early season that helped seal wins in big games where Tyreek was absent.

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Baby steps. It didn't contain an awful Royal comparison.
:-)
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 12:35 AM 08-16-2020
Maybe he heard the haters and wanted to prove them wrong?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up