ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>What was it that made Damien so prolific in the postseason?
Direckshun 06:34 AM 08-15-2020
I’d been thinking about it off and on.

Damien’s regular seasons have puttered along until he takes off in december and doesn’t look back.

10 postseason TDs. Somebody else said that’s more than Edelman.

Is it something in his playing style? Is it just Mahomes? Could anybody else have done this?

Because I don’t think anybody here would even name him a Pro Bowler.

What is it that made Damien so damn prolific in the postseason?
[Reply]
eDave 01:05 AM 08-16-2020
Jeez. It's because of play calling and overall offensive performance.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 03:13 AM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I'm not a real big Damien fan, mediocre in the regular season missed 5 games, and because of the absence he's "fresh" for the playoffs
I am not a huge fan either, but I will always be grateful for how well he played in the playoffs.

I think he is the weakest starting running back we have had in a long time. If Andy ran an offense that handed the ball off 25 times a game, Damien Williams would not be anywhere near as productive as Kareem Hunt was in fewer carries.

And unless it's a screen pass, he isn't very good as a receiver. Mahomes has to put the ball directly on his hands, because his catch radius is shorter than his wingspan. And he can't locate the ball in the air to save his life. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he is blind in one of his eyes.

Watching the LSU win against Clemson, I texted a friend and said holy shit, can you imagine this Clyde kid in our offense? So, I am not upset at Damien for opting out at all. Now CEH won't have to wait until week 8 or 9 for Reid to finally move him ahead of the veteran Williams.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chargem 04:00 AM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Jeez. It's because of play calling and overall offensive performance.
This.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:44 AM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Small sample size
Correct answer

And gets to play in the best offense of all time.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:01 PM 08-16-2020
[x] grit
[x] heart
[x] onions
[x] sand in his pants
[x] Chunky soup
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:07 PM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Correct answer

And gets to play in the best offense of all time.
That could be some of it. But still, we know he doesn't wilt from pressure. The dude has come up big every time we've asked him - the first being the game-tying swing pass in the Ravens game when we were still reeling some from losing Hunt.

It wasn't a spectacular catch, but it also wasn't super easy to twist around while keeping your body moving toward the pylon. Given the circumstances I could easily see a back flubbing that play. I believe we extended him the next week.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:08 PM 08-16-2020
"Clutch" running backs :-) I've heard it all now
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:16 PM 08-16-2020
There was always a noticeable difference between Williams when he was confident and aggressive vs. when he was feeling for yardage.

It was noted in game threads for the last 2 seasons.

You can tell in the first quarter of most games what kind of day Williams will have. When he's getting downhill in a hurry and/or churning his legs through contact, he's a load and damn difficult to deal with. In do or die situations, he plays with that kind of abandon and it's showed on the scoreboard.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:20 PM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
That’s a bit unfair, though.

We likely don’t beat the Chargers or the Vikings without Damien. He was that critical to our HFA this year. He was also averaging 4 YPC against a great front against the Titans and was critical to our 7 minute drive that put us up 28-17 against the Titans. The thing that hurt his average was when Reid called three straight draw plays up 35-24 (with 2 minutes remaining) that the Titans keyed in on with their front and our weak IOL.

I agree CEH is the future and just watching Kollmann’s analysis on CEH makes me stoked about this offense, but I do not think we win the SB a without Damien this year - and that’s a big ****ing deal.
I dont think he sucks, I think the idea of him as a feature bell cow back is laughable. He has 1200 career rushing yards.

Hes a nice 3rd down back who can get the job done in short bursts.

CEH, on the other hand, has real star potential

Very similar to the Kareem hunt/Spencer ware situation.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:22 PM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
I dont think he sucks, I think the idea of him as a feature bell cow back is laughable. He has 1200 career rushing yards.

Hes a nice 3ed down back who can get the job done in short bursts.
Andy seems to really respect guys who know his offense and keeps them around (McCoy and Ware being recent examples). It wouldn't surprise me to see Damien hang around in a similar RB #2 capacity to spell Clyde.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:28 PM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Andy seems to really respect guys who know his offense and keeps them around (McCoy and Ware being recent examples). It wouldn't surprise me to see Damien hang around in a similar RB #2 capacity to spell Clyde.
Well damien's real strength is as a pass catcher, so hes a good guy for Reid's offense.

As a runner hes an outside zone guy with speed who gives you nothing between the tackles.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:53 AM 08-17-2020
I appreciate everything Damien did in the playoffs, but im glad our wagon isnt hitched to him as the starter anymore.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up