ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 38
« First < 222829303132 33343536 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
O.city 10:31 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The point was that having 3-4 $20 million DL men on your team doesn't guarantee or get you reasonably close to a Super Bowl. They cant make up for the deficiencies elsewhere.
Go back and look at the last say, 10 super bowl teams and the DL's they have.

They're all stacked.

The Rams last year, the 9ers, the Pats, the Eagles etc.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:33 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Uhh,that niner line was the only reason they had a chance. JFC people...
Our Dline played pretty well too throughout the playoffs. It would be nice to start the season with this group intact and ready to roll.
[Reply]
Bewbies 10:34 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Go back and look at the last say, 10 super bowl teams and the DL's they have.

They're all stacked.

The Rams last year, the 9ers, the Pats, the Eagles etc.
Yeah. You don’t let a premier d-lineman walk in their prime.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:34 AM 02-18-2020
Why wouldn't you take Jones in that scenario? He's more impactful than the other package

It may just be the smart thing to do though and just move on. It sucks, but it's probably the right move. I just hate it.
Understand what that means. Don’t bitch if there’s problems replacing guys like Fuller, Ogbah, Breeland and Watkins bc there is literally no money left and all of the pressure is on Veach to nail the draft like last year and continue finding tons of deals like Ward, Ogbah and Pennel.

It’s possible but there is literally zero margin for error.

Jones injury history kinda scares me a bit too for a $20 million price tag. He’s missed time in the playoffs basically every year.
[Reply]
O.city 10:37 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Understand what that means. Don’t bitch if there’s problems replacing guys like Fuller, Ogbah, Breeland and Watkins bc there is literally no money left and all of the pressure is on Veach to nail the draft like last year and continue finding tons of deals like Ward, Ogbah and Pennel.

Jones injury history kinda scares me a bit too for a $20 million price tag. He’s missed time in the playoffs basically every year.
Guys like Fuller and Ogbah and such are the ones you let leave and let someone else pay. You pay Jones, then look for the next Fullers or Breelands.

Those guys are out there every year.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:38 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Ogbah was a flyer this last year. It’s not like he was this guy who was being counted on to be a 10 sack DE. And Watkins is at best the third option for this offense. Breeland and Fuller are obvious issues to replace but we don’t even know what’s out there yet at CB. And it’s already been shown that you can bring back Fuller AND Jones....and still have money.
[Reply]
O.city 10:39 AM 02-18-2020
I'm not taking the route of paying like 4 or 5 dudes and hoping to get the output of 1 guy.
[Reply]
O.city 10:40 AM 02-18-2020
Why would anyone want to let an elite player leave and want to sign all these journey men type guys? It seems backwards to me.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:42 AM 02-18-2020
And having the extra picks are nice to get younger, cost controlled players but they aren’t a fucking guarantee. You could trade Jones for players that don’t amount to shit but are getting guaranteed contracts.

There are pros and cons to each of these sides.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:44 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Nope. Sorry. A 2nd round pick is not enough for the second best DT in the league.
Yeah, if that's what people are offering, you laugh at them, hang up, and do the extension. And then go find scheme fit guys. And hope the new CBA creates some relief for things.

One thing that's nice about Spagnuolo's scheme, when compared to Grandpa Bob's, is that it DOESN'T require extraordinary talent to be successful at the second level.

In Sutton's scheme, you had to have highly talented personnel to make it work (probably due to its simplicity). I'd throw Gus Bradley's cover-3

In Spagnuolo's scheme, because it's complex, and they do many things, what you need is heady players who can handle the tricky things that are being done. A guy like Sorenson can play "up" due to his instincts and preparation in a scheme like that, instead of being exposed because he's asked to do things he's not physically capable of.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:49 AM 02-18-2020
Why would anyone want to let an elite player leave and want to sign all these journey men type guys? It seems backwards to me.
You need quality depth.
[Reply]
O.city 10:50 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
You need quality depth.
Sure.

But you don't sacrifice your best players for depth.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:54 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
You need quality depth.
And you can get depth. Depth doesn’t mean having 3 average players for one elite player.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:56 AM 02-18-2020
There is no correct answer.

Whatever Veach does I'll be fine with. But the fact remains, in the modern NFL it is impossible to keep/pay all your talent.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:57 AM 02-18-2020
I just fucked around and gave Jones the same deal that Clark got, extended Mahomes, gave Fuller 3 years and $25 million, and minimal deals for Sherman, Pennel and Wiz.

Cut Watkins, LDT, Damien Wilson, Erving and Colquitt.

I still have $14 million in cap space this year and $32 million in 2021. And you still have the ability to cut Okafor next offseason to get $6 million in cap space. KPass, Harris and Ward are the only players that really need new deals.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 38
« First < 222829303132 33343536 > Last »
Up