ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 38
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:22 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Go back and watch the second to last niner drive

Those two pass swats by Chris Jones might have saved the Super Bowl
They absolutely did. We don't win the SB without him.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:23 AM 02-17-2020
This is the same problem Denver had when they won the Super Bowl. Pay Von Miller or Malik Jackson?

Doesn’t look like we can make both work. We’d have no money after doing that.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:24 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, well.

We have 2 corners under contract.

We have interior offensive line issues that are a real problem.

We have no LB'ers who can cover.

We have 5 draft picks at the end of each round and hardly any cap room.

If losing Jones means TWO solid starters in key weak spots, then yeah, it can make the team better. Plus the additional draft picks.
I'd want two firsts or a first and second this April. That, plus the additional cap room, would be great for a scout like Veach. Either way, though, I'll be happy.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:24 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
According to Albert Breer this morning, the Chiefs have already made up their mind on Jones. He'll either sign a new deal or be tagged, but either way he'll be a Chief next year.
If they tag him, would he possibly hold out?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:27 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I think we can all agree that Chris Jones is a great player.

He did indeed come up big in the Super Bowl and down the stretch.

So did Sammy Watkins, and I don't think we can afford him either.

Maybe Veach can pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I don't see how we can keep either and still re-stock the roster.

I don't think you guys are taking into account just how bare the starting 53 looks, and that's just to stay even.

Never mind that the interior offensive line is shitty, which you don't want with Mahomes.

Never mind the 2 corners we have on the roster.

Never mind the LB'ers who cannot cover anyone.

Never mind that you've got Honey Badger, Sorensen, and Watts at Safety and that's pretty much it to start the season.

Never mind that if we let Watkins go (and we probably have to) then you've got Hill, Hardman...and what, Pringle?

We have a lot of areas in which we need to improve.

Two or three very good players plus high draft picks(s) could very well mean you're in better shape than just one Chris Jones.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:33 AM 02-17-2020
You could say this about many players in that game, not just Chris.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:33 AM 02-17-2020
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:33 AM 02-17-2020
I'd want two firsts or a first and second this April. That, plus the additional cap room, would be great for a scout like Veach. Either way, though, I'll be happy.
I'd take a #1 and a #3.

Like Miami's.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:35 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Exactly right. Lot of guys made big time plays throughout the game. It was very much a team effort on both sides of the ball.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:36 AM 02-17-2020
It'd be great if you could just get the band back together, man.

I just don't think you can.

Every year, SB winner or no, we're going to have to say goodbye to fan favorites.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:41 AM 02-17-2020

Wrote this about Chris Jones and #Chiefs last week:

Per source, team wants to get long-term deal done. Has since last spring. Major issue stemmed from when deal would start. That's no longer a problem.

Tag remains in play, but KC prefers long-term deal.https://t.co/4hX72iBur9

— Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) February 17, 2020

[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:42 AM 02-17-2020
If that offer is on the table you have to take it (first and a second). Especially if the first is a top 20 pick. I trust Veach in the draft and in free agency with that extra cash.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:42 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'd take a #1 and a #3.

Like Miami's.
Still feels light, although I suppose it depends on which of Miami's firsts.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:00 PM 02-17-2020
Man if we can get a deal done with Jones this is going to be a fun draft.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:11 PM 02-17-2020
Again, I trust them either way. Andy and Veach have given me no reason not to.

If they think they have to find a way to keep him, I can see the logic in it and will be more than okay with it.

I’d still look to trade down once or twice so that we end up with 7-8 draft picks.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:12 PM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Again, I trust them either way. Andy and Veach have given me no reason not to.

If they think they have to find a way to keep him, I can see the logic in it and will be more than okay with it.

I’d still look to trade down once or twice so that we end up with 7-8 draft picks.
And maybe that’s Veach’s plan. Keep Jones and trade down from 32 to get more picks.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 38
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Up