ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:46 PM 09-28-2020
I have three 2019 TCL Roku 4K TV's, from 43" to 75", and they all look amazing and perform extremely well.

Last week, I purchased a new TCL 5 Series QLED 50" for my studio. It was $369 with next day delivery at Walmart and while I didn't expect to see much of a difference, it's pretty freaking huge when watching 4K UDR content such as the Marvel movies on Disney+.

I fired up Avengers: Endgame on Disney+ because I wanted to see the blacks and colors of the opening scene in which Tony is stuck with Nebula in deep space, and even my 12 year old noticed the difference immediately.

I'm sure you can spend as much money as you'd like on a QLED but Dude, the TCL 5 series looks freaking unbelievably awesome.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:49 PM 09-28-2020
I LOVE my TCL. It can do well in a bright room depending on the light source. It has quite a bit of glare if there's a direct light source.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r625-2019

I actually have the 2018 75" model, it's a bit higher rated than the 2019.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 01:55 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I have three 2019 TCL Roku 4K TV's, from 43" to 75", and they all look amazing and perform extremely well.

Last week, I purchased a new TCL 5 Series QLED 50" for my studio. It was $369 with next day delivery at Walmart and while I didn't expect to see much of a difference, it's pretty freaking huge when watching 4K UDR content such as the Marvel movies on Disney+.

I fired up Avengers: Endgame on Disney+ because I wanted to see the blacks and colors of the opening scene in which Tony is stuck with Nebula in deep space, and even my 12 year old noticed the difference immediately.

I'm sure you can spend as much money as you'd like on a QLED but Dude, the TCL 5 series looks freaking unbelievably awesome.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I LOVE my TCL. It can do well in a bright room depending on the light source. It has quite a bit of glare if there's a direct light source.

I was looking at this one. I might pull the trigger right now so I have a TV ready to go for tonight MNF

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-...?skuId=6377895
[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:57 PM 09-28-2020
TCL will be the best bang for your buck.

OLED technology is the best picture going. Black Friday might be a good bet, but it appears around superbowl time you will find the best prices. I think I paid about $2k for my C9 for NFM around that time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:59 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
I was looking at this one. I might pull the trigger right now so I have a TV ready to go for tonight MNF

It looks decent all around.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...2019-q825-qled
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:34 PM 09-28-2020

I'm sure it'll look amazing. I am absolutely shocked at how great the new 5 Series QLED looks and that model is several above mine.

Costco is waiting on a huge shipment of TCL TV's that are currently stuck at the Port of Los Angeles due to the tariff situation so if you can wait, I'm sure you'll be able to save several hundred dollars. They also have a ton of other brands, including LG, Samsung, Vizio and others that are very reasonably priced but I stuck with TCL because I like the convenience of having all TCL Roku TV's throughout my house and their picture quality is plenty awesome for the price.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 09-28-2020
FYI, TCL has inflated the cost of that model by $200 dollars due to the tariffs.

It was initially $999.99 at Best Buy in August and now it's $1,299.99 at BB.

https://www.techhive.com/article/356...%27ve%20tested.

Updated later on August 3, 2020: Best Buy has raised the price of this TV back to its MSRP of $1,999—which is $200 more than Best Buy’s current price for the 75-inch model. Keep a close eye on prices for this TV.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:46 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
For what you get out of the LG CX series, they're really not THAT bad in terms of price.

And it really is best of breed; hard to get many arguments to the contrary.

Being able to get the absolute top of the market for about $2,300 on an LG CS 65'' is kindof a bargain, IMO. It's rare you can get to the peak of a high quality consumer electronic for that sort of fairly reasonable figure.

We stuck w/ the 50" for the living room and we have a pretty nice Samsung in the basement - the LG is just flat out better.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:47 PM 09-28-2020
TCL has in general been the best bang for your buck company. Vizio will give you a bigger screen for a cheaper price than other brands but the quality isn't quite as good. I have some 4k Samsungs, a 4k TCL, I like LG products...my experience in general is Samsungs and LGs are the premier picture quality TVs, however Samsung has some durability issues, once you get to 5 years anything after that is extra time on that TV.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:48 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
For what you get out of the LG CX series, they're really not THAT bad in terms of price.

And it really is best of breed; hard to get many arguments to the contrary.

Being able to get the absolute top of the market for about $2,300 on an LG CS 65'' is kindof a bargain, IMO. It's rare you can get to the peak of a high quality consumer electronic for that sort of fairly reasonable figure.

We stuck w/ the 50" for the living room and we have a pretty nice Samsung in the basement - the LG is just flat out better.
The only downside I have for current gen OLED's is if you game or you watch things like say sports that have a constant HUD on the screen they experience some burn in at times.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:49 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

I use that same website for the exact problem you specified - the glare.

RTings does a glare test that really does a nice job of demonstrating how certain TVs are able to kill that glare really nicely. That's what put me towards the LG 8X a few years ago - those screens absolutely gobble up that glare and really do a nice job of absorbing it.

It's something you never think about until you get it in your room and during the fall/winter football months the southern sun !@#$s up your football games or something.

Unsurprisingly, your TCL gets a pretty poor glare score.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:50 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
FYI, TCL has inflated the cost of that model by $200 dollars due to the tariffs.

It was initially $999.99 at Best Buy in August and now it's $1,299.99 at BB.

https://www.techhive.com/article/356...%27ve%20tested.

Updated later on August 3, 2020: Best Buy has raised the price of this TV back to its MSRP of $1,999—which is $200 more than Best Buy’s current price for the 75-inch model. Keep a close eye on prices for this TV.
Thanks, yea I saw that too. I think I'm gonna wait till at least Prime Day
[Reply]
Mecca 02:50 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I use that same website for the exact problem you specified - the glare.

RTings does a glare test that really does a nice job of demonstrating how certain TVs are able to kill that glare really nicely. That's what put me towards the LG 8X a few years ago - those screens absolutely gobble up that glare and really do a nice job of absorbing it.

Unsurprisingly, your TCL gets a pretty poor glare score.
I use a TCL as an office TV, it's not like my sports or gaming set.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:54 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The only downside I have for current gen OLED's is if you game or you watch things like say sports that have a constant HUD on the screen they experience some burn in at times.
I've heard about the burn-in concerns but as far as I can see, they ALL have that feature that will intermittently 'shift' your screen a pixel or two to avoid that problem.

It's theoretically possible but there are a half dozen different things the TV can/will do AND several things that a user can do to prevent it.

It's the big scare point but it's never something I've been overly concerned about.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up