ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Media Center>Best Movie Soundtracks
DJJasonp 07:39 PM 09-13-2020
Was thinking about soundtracks today, and wondered what soundtracks people thought highly of.

So without getting too structured with this, a couple parameters for the discussion:

1. Let's leave out musicals for this discussion (no "Grease" for example)

2. Lower marks for soundtracks that barely featured any of the music from the soundtrack in the film

3. Higher marks for soundtracks where the tracks really match the mood/tone of the film

4. Let's leave out instrumentals (though I do really enjoy them)

So with that in mind, I submit my top 3:

#3: Pretty in Pink - the quintessential 80's soundtrack? Heavily integrated into the film. Top to bottom, a solid lineup of 80's pop/alternative:

Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses
INXS - Do Wot U do
Smiths - Please, Please.....
OMD - If you Leave
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink
New Order - Shell-Shock

#2: Purple Rain - A classic, with obvious integration all across the film. Highlights include:

Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U

#1: The Crow - perfectly selected tracks that match the Alex Proyas look/feel of the film. Highlights include:

The Cure - Burn
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
Helmet - Milktoast
Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty
More solid tracks from Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, and Jesus and Mary Chain

Honorable mentions:

American Graffiti
Singles

What say you?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:36 PM 09-14-2020
Top Gun

Singles

Purple Rain

Dirty Dancing

Guardians of the Galaxy

Judgement Night

Dazed and Confused

Spinal Tap

Oh Brother Where Art Though?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:42 PM 09-14-2020
Ditto on Wedding Singer

Teachers. Great movie. Lost Movie. That day is coming. we will get sued for passing a kid when they did nothing to earn a grade.

Forrest Gump is good. Covers many decades.
[Reply]
cripple creek 05:06 PM 09-14-2020
pulp fiction
[Reply]
Frazod 05:26 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Teachers. Great movie. Lost Movie. That day is coming. we will get sued for passing a kid when they did nothing to earn a grade.
Yeah, I really don't know how it just kind of dropped off the map. I can't remember the last time I saw it on TV; probably been decades. It had an amazing cast, a great story, humor, drama, the whole nine yards. The scene where all the kids file into Jurel's classroom is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Just now I looked through some of the reviews on the Amazon page for it (ironically, it didn't pop up when I typed "Teachers" in the search box on Amazon, but the link through the IMDb page took me right to it). There are a numerous reviews by actual teachers, and they love it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:55 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Top Gun

Singles

Purple Rain

Dirty Dancing

Guardians of the Galaxy

Judgement Night

Dazed and Confused

Spinal Tap

Oh Brother Where Art Though?
Another Dazed fan. :-)

And I'm not sure you can really count This Is Spinal Tap. Usually a soundtrack goes with a movie. That thing is almost the other way around. :-)

BTW, This Is Spinal Tap might be my favorite movie of all time.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:01 PM 09-14-2020
Twister

Van Halen – "Humans Being"
Rusted Root – "Virtual Reality"
Tori Amos – "Talula" (BT's Tornado Mix)
Alison Krauss – "Moments Like This"
Mark Knopfler – "Darling Pretty"
Soul Asylum – "Miss This"
Belly – "Broken"
k.d. lang – "Love Affair"
Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories – "How"
Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Melancholy Mechanics"
Goo Goo Dolls – "Long Way Down" (Remix)
Shania Twain – "No One Needs to Know"
Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham – "Twisted"
Eddie & Alex Van Halen – "Respect the Wind"
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:06 AM 09-15-2020
The Crow will always be my number one because nostalgia, but a couple that haven’t yet been mentioned:

Natural Born Killers
Lost Highway
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:36 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Yeah, I really don't know how it just kind of dropped off the map. I can't remember the last time I saw it on TV; probably been decades. It had an amazing cast, a great story, humor, drama, the whole nine yards. The scene where all the kids file into Jurel's classroom is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Just now I looked through some of the reviews on the Amazon page for it (ironically, it didn't pop up when I typed "Teachers" in the search box on Amazon, but the link through the IMDb page took me right to it). There are a numerous reviews by actual teachers, and they love it.
cant find it online. I always felt I would be the teacher that died in his class and no one knew. But I do not teach Social Studies. Just push play.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:36 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Twister

Van Halen – "Humans Being"
Rusted Root – "Virtual Reality"
Tori Amos – "Talula" (BT's Tornado Mix)
Alison Krauss – "Moments Like This"
Mark Knopfler – "Darling Pretty"
Soul Asylum – "Miss This"
Belly – "Broken"
k.d. lang – "Love Affair"
Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories – "How"
Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Melancholy Mechanics"
Goo Goo Dolls – "Long Way Down" (Remix)
Shania Twain – "No One Needs to Know"
Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham – "Twisted"
Eddie & Alex Van Halen – "Respect the Wind"

So true....#dontreboottwister
[Reply]
HC_Chief 06:59 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Only DVD I own that I always watch with commentary ON. They do the entire thing in character and it is comedy gold :-)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:38 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Another Dazed fan. :-)

And I'm not sure you can really count This Is Spinal Tap. Usually a soundtrack goes with a movie. That thing is almost the other way around. :-)

I always thought they had the British band Uriah Heep in mind when they wrote Spinal Tap. I saw them live in '75 and they were my favorite then, even more than Deep Purple. They're still going strong in 2019. Mick Box the guitarist is the only original member left. Heck, the original lead singer David Byron died in 1985, that was 35 years ago.

[Reply]
htismaqe 08:10 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I always thought they had the British band Uriah Heep in mind when they wrote Spinal Tap. I saw them live in '75 and they were my favorite then, even more than Deep Purple. They're still going strong in 2019. Mick Box the guitarist is the only original member left. Heck, the original lead singer David Byron died in 1985, that was 35 years ago.

Never really got into UH. Most of the bands from that era I either listened to as a kid (because of my dad) or I got into later because of movement of members from other bands.

My dad was never really into them and none of their members (other than Kerslake, which I didn't know until much later) were in other bands that I liked.

I really didn't start becoming musically aware until the early 80's so my connection to many of those late 60's/70's bands was one of those two things.
[Reply]
eDave 08:56 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
So true....#dontreboottwister
Yea. That kicked me into a slight KD Lang faze for a tad. Constant Cravings is a killer toon. Good call Lewdog.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 09:53 AM 09-15-2020
Best Soundtrack?

WOODSTOCK

Honestly...
[Reply]
Randallflagg 09:55 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

Loved me some Uriah Heep - Although I have to admit that after Byron left (fired) then died, I kind of put them on the back burner.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up