ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2448 of 3903
« First < 1448194823482398243824442445244624472448 244924502451245224582498254829483448 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 08:07 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I have no idea what exactly is going on here, but the US being on top and China at the bottom makes it smell like bullshit.
China's got like a billion more people than the US. They're surely undercounting cases but realize that if they had the same percentage of cases we have, they'd be at like 9.2 million cases.
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:09 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
It's an animated version of this graph over time, and it looks like they filtered out some smaller countries... either way, the US is #1 and China relatively has their shit together now.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/inf...covid19-curve/
That kind of puts the events of the past week or so in perspective.

I wonder, personally, if the uptick in cases recently among young people isn't partly because we are testing tons of young people now, whereas we were not when tests were harder to come by. Thus, perhaps we're finding a lot of cases in younger demos that always existed, but we never would have detected before.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:10 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Ehhh....there's something more to this. Election year...divided nation...nothing seems to be off limits. I'll leave it at that. Call me a conspiritard...I don't fucking care one goddamn bit. I'm not fucking stupid.
The information is widely available. From any number of reputable sources.

Also keep in mind it's cases per million in population.
[Reply]
tk13 08:14 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
That kind of puts the events of the past week or so in perspective.

I wonder, personally, if the uptick in cases recently among young people isn't partly because we are testing tons of young people now, whereas we were not when tests were harder to come by. Thus, perhaps we're finding a lot of cases in younger demos that always existed, but we never would have detected before.
Maybe to some degree. Occam's razor guys. Why is it so hard to believe that when things reopened and people were allowed to gather in large numbers in bars, numbers among young people went up?

Everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy.
[Reply]
O.city 08:19 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Maybe to some degree. Occam's razor guys. Why is it so hard to believe that when things reopened and people were allowed to gather in large numbers in bars, numbers among young people went up?

It definitely did but it so far hasn’t necessarily everywhere.

I don’t think these are necessarily the highest numbers. If we’d tested this much early, I think there’d have been this many earlier as well
[Reply]
tk13 08:22 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It definitely did but it so far hasn’t necessarily everywhere.

I don’t think these are necessarily the highest numbers. If we’d tested this much early, I think there’d have been this many earlier as well
That's probably true. Not sure if it would have skewed this young... it's pretty clear at this point that younger people think they're generally immune, while some older people are probably being more cautious.
[Reply]
O.city 08:26 PM 06-27-2020
It’s likely there were over half a million infections in New York in late February.

We need to hope we bought enough time
[Reply]
O.city 08:30 PM 06-27-2020
It’s also looking like New York was the super spreader event that seeded the whole country

So pardon my political take but Cuomo can shove it
[Reply]
TLO 08:42 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s likely there were over half a million infections in New York in late February.

We need to hope we bought enough time
That's insane.

The horse was already out of the barn by the time we even knew there was a horse to begin with.
[Reply]
TLO 08:49 PM 06-27-2020
I don't understand how other countries were able to contain it so successfully. We potentially had half a million infected before we knew we had a problem. What are you supposed to do with that?

It seems very likely that this thing was spreading all over the damn world before we knew what it was. How did those places stop it??
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:49 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:

I agree with you completely. Bars and large social gatherings are the culprit here. I just think that’s a factor in the case counts to some degree or another and why we should watch hospital census and ICU census more closely.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:32 PM 06-27-2020
Almost half of US COVID-19 deaths are linked to nursing homes
https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/almost...nursing-homes/
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:46 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't understand how other countries were able to contain it so successfully. We potentially had half a million infected before we knew we had a problem. What are you supposed to do with that?

It seems very likely that this thing was spreading all over the damn world before we knew what it was. How did those places stop it??
If you really lock down and isolate for four weeks you can bring even a large number of cases down.

Afterwards, if you test, test, test, contact trace, and actually isolate as needed you can keep a handle on it.

Many countries made provisions for isolating individuals. From getting them their own room at a previous hotel to having social workers who would bring them groceries and pharmaceuticals as needed. And they were given financial support.

The US did a big financial support but it didn't reach everyone. We had\have a lot of workers who should be isolating but don't feel they can afford to.

The politicalzation of the response didn't help.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:48 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Almost half of US COVID-19 deaths are linked to nursing homes
https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/almost...nursing-homes/
Really sucks for everyone involved... easily spread among residents, exposes staff, and loved ones can't enter those buildings when they're under quarantine.
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:01 PM 06-27-2020
To the "why is California spiking" question, it seems that non-compliance with the rules is not limited to the South.

80 Percent Of LA County Restaurants And Bars Are Not Following Coronavirus Guidelines
https://laist.com/latest/post/202006...rus-guidelines
[Reply]
Page 2448 of 3903
« First < 1448194823482398243824442445244624472448 244924502451245224582498254829483448 > Last »
Up