ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
loochy 10:45 AM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by 007:
That's why I wait until the car is 5-7 years old to purchase as well as decent miles . I'll never buy a brand new car again.
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
30k these days is a pretty decent price.

Trucks and SUVs are going for 50-70k

That was sarcasm/joke

The prices are relatively in-line with normal vehicles unless you are trying to get a model S or a BMW i8 or something
[Reply]
Pablo 10:49 AM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Those are actually based on the Holden Monaro and they're pretty bad ass.
To each their own but I hate the look of those cars.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:52 AM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by stevieray:
:-)

total bullshit.

Know how I know you've never been in or driven a 400 hp automobile?

We get it. you're into it. go for it.

But don't sit here and pretend you get to decide what people need to come to terms with.

That's really arrogant.
Do Lambos count?
[Reply]
BWillie 11:07 AM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
At some point, people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that the old idea of a sports car is more about noise and feeling than about performance. If that's what you're into, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a dying preference, though.

Out of curiosity, have those who are pining for the feel of a sports car ever ridden in a Tesla Model S or X? It's like being in a spaceship crossed with a roller coaster.
I beat a Corvette the other day while eating gummy bears and on auto pilot. Some asshole kept revving his engine so I was finally like alright. Only raced until 80 mph though.

And that was from a standstill. Say Im already going 55 mph and floor it. The gear shifting ice has no chance. The acceleration on my Model S is insane.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:10 AM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Waiting to buy a cybertruck like a real man.
I think I'm going to get one, too.
[Reply]
007 12:09 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
That was sarcasm/joke

The prices are relatively in-line with normal vehicles unless you are trying to get a model S or a BMW i8 or something

I figured it was a joke. I think the price of normal ICE cars are insane as well.
[Reply]
whoaskew 01:31 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Expertly designed so you can't get your dick in it
Don't be shocked if it ends up fitting...
[Reply]
kccrow 02:34 PM 02-20-2021
Not as things currently sit.

EV ownership is akin to Fiber internet. If you don't live in a major metropolitan area, the structure just isn't there yet to support it. They aren't going to start plopping down charging stations in the North woods of Michigan any time soon.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:44 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Not as things currently sit.

EV ownership is akin to Fiber internet. If you don't live in a major metropolitan area, the structure just isn't there yet to support it. They aren't going to start plopping down charging stations in the North woods of Michigan any time soon.
Eh, kind of true. I do live in a city, but I think I've used a public charger twice. You mostly charge at home.

The bigger issue to me is if you frequently drive longish distances to go to the city to shop or whatever.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:15 PM 02-20-2021
The only thing, and I mean only thing that is superior about an ICE is how quick it is to just get gas on long trips.

Having an EV if you rarely take long trips is actually better as you never have to go to the gas station. But if they could ever figure out how to charge ur battery in less than 10 minutes fully it would be a game changer for EVs.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:04 PM 02-20-2021
Eh, kind of true. I do live in a city, but I think I've used a public charger twice. You mostly charge at home.

The bigger issue to me is if you frequently drive longish distances to go to the city to shop or whatever.
Therein kind of lies the issue. Just to make up for me going to work and back means 2.5 hrs of charge time on a 7 kWh home charger. You're not getting a faster charger without installing 3-phase at home, which is very expensive.

Now, I can go on most trips I'd make without issue and return home (<= 200 miles). If I head West or South, I can reach a major city in under 300 miles. That said, if I want to go to Detroit, I'm over 400 miles away. This means stopping and letting it charge fully at least once, which means somewhere in the sticks will need to be a 150 kWh rapid station to make it reasonable.

Studies have shown these numbers to get worse though in cold weather, and we have 5 solid months of cold weather. AAA and Consumer Reports reported 41% and 50% loss of effective miles. That's not good. Now I'm looking at 5 hours of charging just for work and needing at least 2 charging stops on my way to Detroit, not to mention if I make some other normal 200 mile trips I may have to stop and recharge.

My other concern is the strain on the electric grid, which could be far better in the US, as more and more people go electric. Rates will undoubtedly go up to support added infrastructure.

There's alot more development needed. I love the idea of someday owning EV and support it, but it's just not the most reasonable choice here - yet.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:00 PM 02-20-2021
Do Lambos count?
Daily driver, or on a closed track with an instructor?
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:11 PM 02-20-2021
Hell no
[Reply]
DaFace 09:18 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Daily driver, or on a closed track with an instructor?
Ha. I love that you asked the question, but I'm certainly not in a place to own one. It was on a track in Colorado Springs. They have a place that lets you pay a couple hundred to ride around in a few super cars. Lots of fun.
[Reply]
backinblack 01:50 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The only thing, and I mean only thing that is superior about an ICE is how quick it is to just get gas on long trips.
and the manual transmission

but you go ahead and eat gummy bears like the 6 year old that you are while you should be concentrating on the road princess.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up