ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 146 of 319
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196246 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:36 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Are they backups if Fisher and Schwartz are able to play this year? Trading up for a backup RT isn’t going to sit well.
yeah I don't see it.

I think it's much more likely that we nab someone like Walker Little in the second or trade up in the third. He's got top flight potential but likely will need a year to be ready.

Then next year you could have two young bookend tackles ready to roll.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:37 AM 03-04-2021
The more I think about it, I think the Chiefs best case scenario is this:

- Sign a tier 2 WR in free agency
- Sign a couple veterans on the OL (T & C/G)
- Draft a DE in round 1 (or after trade down)
- All OL on day 2
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:37 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea it’s a tough situation.

Honestly, I think they’re better off getting a DE in the 1st then taking Hudson, Little, or Smith on day 2.
Totally agree.

Even better, I like trading down into the 40 range and picking up a third.

Around there, Phillips, Oweh, Perkins, Weaver, etc. are all around every time I run a mock.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:38 AM 03-04-2021
Are they backups if Fisher and Schwartz are able to play this year? Trading up for a backup RT isn’t going to sit well.
Tough question, but between age and injuries my gut says neither Eric nor Mitchell are long for this team anyway... so lets get ahead of the game and be ready for the future
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:40 AM 03-04-2021
I know what I'd do, but you won't like it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:41 AM 03-04-2021

- All OL on day 2
This sounds great.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:45 AM 03-04-2021

- All OL on day 2
I think that's a good plan.

I especially like Little; and I think Veach may see him as another Niang situation. First round talent, missed a season to an injury and then 2020 opt out.

You could argue that you're getting two first round OT talents in later rounds if you're patient.

Both could be ten year quality starters.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:46 AM 03-04-2021

- All OL on day 2
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Totally agree.

Even better, I like trading down into the 40 range and picking up a third.

Around there, Phillips, Oweh, Perkins, Weaver, etc. are all around every time I run a mock.
That’s where I’m leaning as well.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:46 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Tough question, but between age and injuries my gut says neither Eric nor Mitchell are long for this team anyway... so lets get ahead of the game and be ready for the future
I don't think that's even possible without either trading up or using high draft picks on offensive lineman because how many 5th, 6th or 7th rounders actually become 10 year left and right tackles?

And what if the Chiefs trade up to draft a guy in the 1st round, only to see Fisher and/or Schwartz return to form? Then what? They will have completely wasted a 1st round pick (at minimum) on a guy that's going to sit for 2 or 3 years?

The Chiefs have multiple needs and whomever they draft in rounds 1-3 needs to be ready to play and start Week 1. Waiting around for guys to "develop" or play is a massive waste of very important and unreplaceable resources.

The Chiefs can't afford another Dee Ford repeat, where the guy can't even contribute until Year 3 or 4, at least if they want to extend their Championship Window.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:49 AM 03-04-2021

- All OL on day 2
Agree, but it depends who's there and who they could potentially get if they are able to move around. Still, I always prefer to fill as many holes in free agency before the draft so that you don't have to reach to fill needs.

I think the WR market is going to be interesting. There are a ton of FA's and I don't think any of them are going to get paid what they are worth. Maybe Allen Robinson, but I just can't see teams with the cap situation giving a Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel huge contracts.

If anything, the current cap situation means bunch of these guys are going to take one year deals in hopes there is more money to spend next offseason. That's where the Chiefs could really benefit.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:51 AM 03-04-2021
That’s where I’m leaning as well.
Yes. If they can trade down, I'd be all over that. Plus I'd have to think someone might want to draft a QB and have the five year contract. In this draft I wouldn't be surprised if one fell
[Reply]
staylor26 11:52 AM 03-04-2021
You aren’t getting 3 starters in the first 3 rounds.

That’s just incredibly unlikely.

You obviously hope to get a contributor in round 1, but outside of that those are unrealistic expectations when you’re picking at the end of rounds 2 and 3. That doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t happen, but it is what it is. Sure, ideally the Chiefs can at least get a C on day 2 that’s a day 1 starter, but there’s are no guarantees that one makes it to us.

It’s not about finding day 1 starters. It’s about hitting on those picks long term. This teams SB window doesn’t hinge on finding day 1 starters on day 2 of the draft. That’s just silly.

This team already has 2 “RS freshmen” that should contribute next year in Niang and Gay. Sneed should also take a big step forward next year. Guys like Danna and Wharton can as well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:53 AM 03-04-2021
You aren’t getting 3 starters in the first 3 rounds.

That’s just incredibly unlikely.

You obviously hope to get a contributor in round 1, but outside of that those are unrealistic expectations when you’re picking at the end of rounds 2 and 3.

It’s not about finding day 1 starters. It’s about hitting on those picks long term. This teams SB window doesn’t hinge on finding day 1 starters on day 2 of the draft. That’s just silly.
Exactly.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:55 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't think that's even possible without either trading up or using high draft picks on offensive lineman because how many 5th, 6th or 7th rounders actually become 10 year left and right tackles?

And what if the Chiefs trade up to draft a guy in the 1st round, only to see Fisher and/or Schwartz return to form? Then what? They will have completely wasted a 1st round pick (at minimum) on a guy that's going to sit for 2 or 3 years?

The Chiefs have multiple needs and whomever they draft in rounds 1-3 needs to be ready to play and start Week 1. Waiting around for guys to "develop" or play is a massive waste of very important and unreplaceable resources.

The Chiefs can't afford another Dee Ford repeat, where the guy can't even contribute until Year 3 or 4, at least if they want to extend their Championship Window.
Completely agree that its a dicey, touchy situation full of what ifs

Clearly there are no guarantees with any scenario, but it definitely wouldn't upset me to see us grab a young, blue chip bodyguard for #15... the only sure thing is its gonna be a super interesting draft, can't wait to see how Veach plays it
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:56 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Because chiefs are targeting OL in the first round and don't want someone to trade back into the first and snag their guy?

Hey man, I hope Schwartz and Fisher are both back and kick ass. But the reality is all of this "We don't need a tackle!" talk is predicated on TWO guys coming back from historically terrible injuries and a second year guy who opted out and had a potentially degenerative hip issue.

Chiefs are going tackle early, and they can't go early enough. If that's second round, great, but I won't be shocked if it's 1.31 or trading down into the top of the 2nd round, getting an extra pick and taking a tackle with their first pick.
Literally NOBODY has said "we don't need a tackle". Nobody.

As for the Chiefs "going tackle early" don't get your hopes up.
[Reply]
Page 146 of 319
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196246 > Last »
Up