ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 07:34 PM 03-06-2021
We did think we had it working earlier. I took the GPU out again and put it back and it turned on and it stayed on long enough to download some games, etc. then boom, the green lines just appeared out of nowhere and the screen went blank.
We tried rebooting, several times and each time got the same green lines, then blank screens.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:37 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
We did think we had it working earlier. I took the GPU out again and put it back and it turned on and it stayed on long enough to download some games, etc. then boom, the green lines just appeared out of nowhere and the screen went blank.
We tried rebooting, several times and each time got the same green lines, then blank screens.
See post 56. Do you have any of those four lights lit up on the motherboard?
[Reply]
hometeam 07:36 PM 03-06-2021
green lines does smell like a GPU issue to me, but hardly ever are GPUs bad.

Does it only have one RAM stick? If not, try it with only one, and then the other one, and see if problems persist. RAM issues can take all sorts of forms.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:43 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:

Does it only have one RAM stick? If not, try it with only one, and then the other one, and see if problems persist. RAM issues can take all sorts of forms.
Could they have his RAM in the wrong slots? Here is the configuration from his mobo manual:

[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 10:37 AM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:

I tried removing each RAM stick one at a time. It didn't work, unfortunately.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:30 PM 03-06-2021
I've had issue like this before and it was due to a slight misalignment of the GPU and MB. Parts could have shifted in shipment or simply put together slightly off. The MB should have screws at various points, I would loosen them and make sure the GPU and MB are aligned properly. If you have to push the GPU to one side or the other to get the mounting holes to line up, it can cause partial connection and intermittent issues.

Many computers have RAM tests built in which are more extensive than the normal boot up tests. You can use another computer to download something like MemTest86 and write it to a memory stick and boot from it.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:39 PM 03-06-2021
ram in the wrong slots would not typically cause those issues, just would not boot.

The green lines are classic GPU, I only suggested RAM because you said reseating the GPU did not fix it, and RAM is another similar, though less likely culprit.

You could also have a short somewhere on the MOBO, if you are comfortable with it, you can remove the mobo and reinstall it, making sure all of your standoffs are properly fitted and nothing is grounding. If not, thats OK, but double check that GPU and make sure its not sagging or otherwise doing something where its a millimeter out of whack
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:30 PM 03-06-2021
Do you guys know why server cases are too shallow for an i9 and a Noctua Cooler?

I need a server case but the info I'm getting on other sites is that they're too shallow.
[Reply]
Fish 10:44 PM 03-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Do you guys know why server cases are too shallow for an i9 and a Noctua Cooler?

I need a server case but the info I'm getting on other sites is that they're too shallow.
Why do you need a server case? Do you mean you need something that will mount in a server rack? If so, yeah you'll need something specific if you're wanting a traditional PC gamer build with a fat CPU fan and big GPU. Server rack space is designated by a "U" quantity. With 1U being a single server rack height. You'd need something that's 5U or 6U for that kind of build. I'm not aware of anything like that which you could easily toss parts into like you're doing a normal PC build. Again, is there a reason for needing a rack design? If so, you might have to just get something like a normal flat shelf that fits into a server rack, and build a normal PC build in a normal ATX full sized case and sit it on the shelf.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ser...6B/ref=sr_1_19
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:40 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Why do you need a server case? Do you mean you need something that will mount in a server rack? If so, yeah you'll need something specific if you're wanting a traditional PC gamer build with a fat CPU fan and big GPU. Server rack space is designated by a "U" quantity. With 1U being a single server rack height. You'd need something that's 5U or 6U for that kind of build. I'm not aware of anything like that which you could easily toss parts into like you're doing a normal PC build. Again, is there a reason for needing a rack design? If so, you might have to just get something like a normal flat shelf that fits into a server rack, and build a normal PC build in a normal ATX full sized case and sit it on the shelf.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ser...6B/ref=sr_1_19
Thanks, Dude! Yeah, I need at least a 4 space rack mounted unit, one of which I've used since 2007, because of my recording studio setup in which my desk has 36 rack spaces filled with gear. Everything works together in terms of cabline and wiring and unfortunately, I don't have the room to set a computer on the floor.

I hadn't thought about racking up a normal case in the past, so thanks for the great idea! I went through several after-market fans when I built my current computer back in a 2015, an Intel i-4790k machine but I really need to upgrade to a new Intel computer asap.

This definitely helped and thank you so much!
[Reply]
eDave 02:01 PM 03-07-2021
I've been slowly buying parts for years, finally ready to build.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:47 PM 03-09-2021
How do you guys feel about AIO cooling versus standard fan cooling? I've never built a computer with liquid cooling before, so I'm slightly hesitant but I don't really have any options with a server case.

Also, I'm reading that quite a few people are recommending the i9-10850k over the 10900k due to power consumption and heat.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
vailpass 09:05 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
How do you guys feel about AIO cooling versus standard fan cooling? I've never built a computer with liquid cooling before, so I'm slightly hesitant but I don't really have any options with a server case.

Also, I'm reading that quite a few people are recommending the i9-10850k over the 10900k due to power consumption and heat.

Thoughts?
I’m building my son’s pc right now. Going to install the AIO tomorrow. My first time using AIO. So I guess I don’t have anything that would be of help right now but I’ll know more tomorrow about what the install is like.
[Reply]
Pants 09:09 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I’m building my son’s pc right now. Going to install the AIO tomorrow. My first time using AIO. So I guess I don’t have anything that would be of help right now but I’ll know more tomorrow about what the install is like.
It's definitely a little more work to install (some cases make it easier than others) but it's one of those things... you only have to do it once so not a biggie.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:02 PM 03-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
It's definitely a little more work to install (some cases make it easier than others) but it's one of those things... you only have to do it once so not a biggie.
Thanks Pants. I got the mobo assembled and installed today along with the AIO. I had to take the cooler out, turn it the other way to get the hoses to route the way I wanted, but it wasn’t too bad at all.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up