ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>I'm all about Elon Musk doing his thing but Starlink...
Mephistopheles Janx 11:00 PM 12-03-2020
... is gonna get on my fucking nerves. While I realize these are not the first low orbit satellites it seems that these are extremely bright and form a chain which are extremely eye catching and, IMO, take away from the night's sky.

I took this photo about 2 hours ago.

[Reply]
Beef Supreme 09:52 PM 12-04-2020
He's rich as fuck so he can't be a complete dumbass, but that hyperloop bullshit is unhinged buffoonery, as are some of his other ideas.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:21 PM 12-04-2020
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
He's rich as fuck so he can't be a complete dumbass, but that hyperloop bullshit is unhinged buffoonery, as are some of his other ideas.
People once said that about reusable rockets and electric cars.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:42 AM 12-05-2020
He's rich as **** so he can't be a complete dumbass, but that hyperloop bullshit is unhinged buffoonery, as are some of his other ideas.
Hyperloop would be a complete game changer to societies if it could be done safely. Denver would become Lawrence to KC residents. St Louis would be like Blue Springs. The cost to travel long distances often, quickly and economically would revolutionize how we live.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 02:58 AM 12-05-2020
He's rich as **** so he can't be a complete dumbass, but that hyperloop bullshit is unhinged buffoonery, as are some of his other ideas.
Elon wants to establish a human colony on Mars. That is one of the "just causes" he is working towards. If his Starship rocket is successful, Elon probably lives to see Humans land on Mars.

Originally Posted by DaFace:
People once said that about reusable rockets and electric cars.
If you can build a Hyperloop, you can build a Massdriver. Same technology, just a twist on how it is applied. Once a Massdriver is built you can move tons and tons of mass off a planet very quickly and very cheaply. If humans ever colonize mars, a Massdriver will be built on Olympus Mons. Its long gradual slope is perfect.

I find the proposition we could build a practical Hyperloop/Massdriver on earth dubious. I think Elon is thinking about Mars when he pushes the development of this kind of technology.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:58 AM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Hyperloop would be a complete game changer to societies if it could be done safely. Denver would become Lawrence to KC residents. St Louis would be like Blue Springs. The cost to travel long distances often, quickly and economically would revolutionize how we live.
Hyperloop would be a complete game changer if it could do half the shit he says it could. It can't. Or for the cost he estimated it could be built. Not even close.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:43 PM 12-05-2020
Hyperloop would be a complete game changer if it could do half the shit he says it could. It can't. Or for the cost he estimated it could be built. Not even close.
The primary reason it can't, is because of the insane cost to build on land someone else owns (or to buy government officials to use eminent domain). When evaluating Musk's companies, evaluate every single one of them with idea that humans will one day call Mars home.
  1. SpaceX? This one's rather obvious.
  2. Tesla? Across the board improvements in solar efficiency, battery storage, electric motor efficiency, etc. All good technologies to have on Mars.
  3. Hyperloop? Can you think of a more efficient mode of transportation between colony cities on a world without a human survivable atmosphere?
  4. The Boring Co? Underground infrastructure on Mars to protect from radiation and meteor strikes.
  5. NeuraLink? Well honestly I'm not sure on this one. Musk doesn't think we'll survive as a species after sentient AI unless we are the sentient AI, but I'm sure there are applications for it that would be beneficial to surviving on Mars.
  6. Starlink? Planet wide communications platform without cell/radio towers and cable runs.
Another way to think about Hyperloop from that perspective. He wants that tech on Mars. What's the best way to get advancements in it without spending too much of your own resources? While everyone else is looking at you like a genius golden goose (Tesla/SpaceX) and wanting to cash in on your next great idea, just propose a (not even new) travel concept that could change the world. Of course dozens of companies are going to start looking into it. Host the occasional event and do the occasional PR stunt just to keep it going, but let someone else do the work.

Not only has he gotten dozens of universities involved and multiple startups spending their own money to research it, he's got Richard Branson throwing money at it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/08/tech/...ers/index.html

I think that's absolutely brilliant. Not only is he making money hand over fist, he's now getting others to invest in his dream of making humans a multi-planetary species whether they realize it or not.

Wow. I sound like a fan girl. :-) Well I guess I kind of am. Sometimes he's a complete moron, but I agree 100% with his goal. His drive and ability to reach such an amazing goal (fingers crossed) is amazing IMO.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up