ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 266 of 341
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270276316 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
ghak99 11:21 AM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Oh I get it, I'm still shocked. And the kicker is, while my son was chomping at the bit to start using my full size 30-06, and he was successful with it with his first deer of the season this year, he decided to go back to the .243 because he just likes it better. He'll outgrow it in time, but we all know that's a bit subjective too. He'd love the extra 2-3 inches of barrel, but now that he's learned "his" rifle, like so many of us have learned through the years, it's more about knowing your platform than the other things that people make too much of. So he's 3 for 3 with one shot/one kill, and a bow kill too, but he said numbers 2 and 3 were no-brainers. He gets it now, both platforms are zeroed and at the ranges he's shooting, at or inside 150 yards, neither one takes a lot of calculating to put a round in the neck or heart, it's a confidence thing.

Now, will he stay in the .243 platform? Not forever, but I'm happy that he knows he doesn't need to go to 30-06, 30-30, or 7mm just because of the hype and the chit-chat he hears at deer camp. Now that I've got him studying each round's ballistic characteristics, the type of hunting he does, and where he does it he's pretty-much set on the .270 platform, so that might be my next purchase. And he knows, any time he wants to, or needs to, use my 30-06, all he has to do is ask. But I'm super-impressed with the .270 round, so if he wants to inherit my 30-06 and I use the .270, well, OK. But I doubt that'll be the case.

All that being said, next time around I think we're going to look into some better scopes. What he has work fine for what we're doing, but I think it might be time to put some coin into some glass and see if we can stretch those decent groups out a little farther and actually start to get to the point where the target (even if paper) is far enough away so the MOA calculations I've been having him work on actually mean something more than theory.

Hey, it's all about father/son time, and it's worth it. And was can't dive a whole hell of a lot in the winter... :-)
It's nice to hear a youngster that's actually learning the ballistics.

I killed my first deer with a 6mm rem, the .243's slightly better looking brother, and still shoot it to this day. The 243/6mm is also a fairly popular coyote and antelope round out west for it's long range coefficient and flexibility so it gets its fair share of use in several areas of the country. I have several calibers between the two, but I went to mostly using the 300 rem ultra mag for the same wide range of flexibility at the top end of the scale that the 6mm gives me at the lower end.

Both have some pretty good spectacles on them. :-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:02 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:

I killed my first deer with a 6mm rem, the .243's slightly better looking brother, and still shoot it to this day. The 243/6mm is also a fairly popular coyote and antelope round out west for it's long range coefficient and flexibility so it gets its fair share of use in several areas of the country. I have several calibers between the two, but I went to mostly using the 300 rem ultra mag for the same wide range of flexibility at the top end of the scale that the 6mm gives me at the lower end.

Thank you..

Take a look-see at the 270's ballistics, it's impressive.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:03 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Thank you..

Take a look-see at the 270's ballistics, it's impressive.
The .270 was always my dad's second favorite whitetail round right behind the .257 Roberts. I have a .270 barrel for my TC Encore, but never put glass on it so I occasionally take it out in the brush where I can't see very far with open sights just for fun.
[Reply]
Otter 01:06 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:

I stopped in Cabelas when I was in PA about 4 weeks ago and the only ammo they had in stock was shotty and 6mm.

That's fucking insane.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:19 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
I stopped in Cabelas when I was in PA about 4 weeks ago and the only ammo they had in stock was shotty and 6mm.

That's fucking insane.
The ammo situation is just dumb. I'm afraid it may never really get better.

I'm not surprised it was there though, the 6mm rem was never pushed hard and most people do not even know it is a .243 round being thrown with a better stroke, so it has mostly stayed hidden with only those who know. Much of PA's geography probably isn't where most hunters would be looking at using the round either. I often carry it because I trust it even though I should really be carrying my muzzle loader or a slug gun.
[Reply]
srvy 12:45 AM 12-06-2020
Who needs Steiner compact binos 8X22 for 88 bucks at Walmart of all places. These are perfect hunting glasses as they draw in light at dusk and dawn. They are lightweight and 8 power is perfect to hold steady where 10 power actually needs the steady hand of a surgeon. These go for over 200 bucks normally receive high marks. Unless I wasn't aware they have been bought and now are Chinese with Chinese optics I am all in.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steiner-B...mpaign_id=9383

https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoc...uhorizons-8x22

[Reply]
Bwana 08:30 AM 12-06-2020

That's ****ing insane.

Heh I was in my local Cabela's at least 2 months ago. There was only a few rounds left on the shelf and it was weird stuff that hardly anyone shoots like .416 Rigby, along with some shotgun shells. The ammo section looked like it had been looted. From what I understand, it still looks the same in there.
[Reply]
Otter 12:32 PM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Heh I was in my local Cabela's at least 2 months ago. There was only a few rounds left on the shelf and it was weird stuff that hardly anyone shoots like .416 Rigby, along with some shotgun shells. The ammo section looked like it had been looted. From what I understand, it still looks the same in there.
That's the exact same impression I had: this place looks like it was looted.

I can't believe they didn't even have .22lr in stock. Manufactures can crank those out like Hershey cranks out M&Ms.

Strange times.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:44 PM 12-06-2020
I read or heard or something somewhere, hell maybe it was here, that manufacturers geared up and produced like hell after Sandy Hook. Then when it dies down they got crushed with inventory. So they decided not to do it this time.

Sounds like BS because at this point someone would have done it and made bank.

IDK :-)
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 01:52 PM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Thanks for the advice. Got a S&W 9MM at Rural King this morning.

No ammo for it, though. They can’t keep ammo in stock.
Went out last week and bought myself a S&W M&P15 sport. I think I got a decent deal on it at under 600.

That gun is an absolute joy to shoot. It’s almost orgasmic. If I don’t watch it, I’ll go broke buying ammo. Lol.

My journey from a dude who’s never bought a gun in his life to one who has purchased 2 in 6 weeks is complete. :-) Much to my wife’s dismay.

Thanks again for the advice. Love this thread.
[Reply]
Bwana 02:00 PM 12-06-2020
That's the exact same impression I had: this place looks like it was looted.

I can't believe they didn't even have .22lr in stock. Manufactures can crank those out like Hershey cranks out M&Ms.

Strange times.

FWIW when stuff like this happens, .22 is one of the first rounds to dry up. People go crazy and buy anything they can get their hands on and .22 is cheap, comparatively speaking. I think I still have over 10K .22 rounds.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:02 PM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Went out last week and bought myself a S&W M&P15 sport. I think I got a decent deal on it at under 600.

That gun is an absolute joy to shoot. It’s almost orgasmic. If I don’t watch it, I’ll go broke buying ammo. Lol.

My journey from a dude who’s never bought a gun in his life to one who has purchased 2 in 6 weeks is complete. :-) Much to my wife’s dismay.

Thanks again for the advice. Love this thread.
Welcome to the club! Do you plan on putting optics on it? I'm in the process of figuring out which is best to put on mine considering I want it for 100 yards up and under.
[Reply]
bdj23 02:15 PM 12-06-2020

That's ****ing insane.
I went into scheels last weekend, they had a pile of 30 carbine ammo, some random durrr rifle rounds and shotgun shells.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 02:24 PM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Welcome to the club! Do you plan on putting optics on it? I'm in the process of figuring out which is best to put on mine considering I want it for 100 yards up and under.
Hadn’t thought about it, honestly. I’m just learning my way around it.

Amazing gun though. I’m irritating everyone within earshot, which is quite a ways with that gun. :-)
[Reply]
Otter 02:43 PM 12-06-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
FWIW when stuff like this happens, .22 is one of the first rounds to dry up. People go crazy and buy anything they can get their hands on and .22 is cheap, comparatively speaking. I think I still have over 10K .22 rounds.
Heh, I have about 500 22lr and thought I was over doing it. You're set for life.
[Reply]
Page 266 of 341
« First < 166216256262263264265266 267268269270276316 > Last »
Up