ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3577 of 3903
« First < 2577307734773527356735733574357535763577 3578357935803581358736273677 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
stevieray 11:52 AM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
People with diabetes such as myself can't infect 10 other people with diabetes. If tomorrow they offered a 1-2 shot dose to stop diabetes or stop people from smoking the lines for it would be 100 miles long.
I'm addressing assuming/accepting risks from personal choices.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:57 AM 07-23-2021
Risk of hurting someone else doesn't enter into that equation for you?
[Reply]
O.city 11:58 AM 07-23-2021

Virginia is tracking breakthough cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Their weekly report includes data up to July 18 (last Sunday). If you just look at the data from June 1 to July 18 - including all the time Delta was here - there are still very few breakthrough cases. pic.twitter.com/Y3FNcIoCqz

— Aaron Astor (@AstorAaron) July 23, 2021

Looks like vaccines holding up well against Delta in Virginia.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:59 AM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Oops. I didn't realize the poor guy died..
https://twitter.com/stephenharmon

Looking at this timeline he seemed like a decent guy too. 100% of my anger is at the people out there spreading anti-vaxx nonsense for profit and power - half of them probably vaxxed in secret to boot.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:59 AM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Odd how 100 years elapsed before the concept that another person's health became paramount concern to the average individual.
[Reply]
stevieray 12:04 PM 07-23-2021
Every time you've run a red light.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:20 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Odd how 100 years elapsed before the concept that another person's health became paramount concern to the average individual.
That's not really accurate. Several vaccines have been mandatory for children to attend schools, so the health of others as it relates to infectious diseases has been a paramount concern for some time.

People just weren't snowflakes about it while hiding under the my-body-my-choice veil.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:23 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:

Looks like vaccines holding up well against Delta in Virginia.
Didn't the CDC say that a breakthrough case in the vaccinated is only a hospitalization or death? So what is the point of showing a "cases" stat if they are counted differently?
[Reply]
O.city 12:28 PM 07-23-2021
Virginia apparently is tracking them

So that’s good news on the vaccine front
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:28 PM 07-23-2021
Ive reached the point where I just let the unvaccinated assume the risk. I'm vaccinated and mostly carefree. What I don't like is that this is going to slow normalcy. Hospitals are overwhelmed at a time when health care workers are burnt out. And supply chains are an absolute mess with threats of continued disruptions - you can't afford to just pluck sick workers off the line for a few weeks.

And I'd really prefer an nfl season where we don't have to deal with games and seasons be influenced by cases. That could all go away just by teams and the league hitting Vax thresholds.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:31 PM 07-23-2021
Virginia apparently is tracking them

So that’s good news on the vaccine front
But if their definition is the same as the CDC they actually aren't.

We also know front-end testing and rules differ now for detection.

Until we get that all sorted out I will be skeptical of any % cases data in the US.
[Reply]
O.city 12:32 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
But if their definition is the same as the CDC they actually aren't.

We also know front-end testing and rules differ now for detection.

Until we get that all sorted out I will be skeptical of any % cases data in the US.
I believe it’s symptomatic true breakthrough so I’m not sure why you would be skeptical
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:33 PM 07-23-2021
I believe it’s symptomatic true breakthrough so I’m not sure why you would be skeptical
So let's say you have a large concert that wants everyone to show a vaccine card or a negative test.

Who do you think is getting a testing increase?!
[Reply]
DaFace 12:35 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
That's not really accurate. Several vaccines have been mandatory for children to attend schools, so the health of others as it relates to infectious diseases has been a paramount concern for some time.

People just weren't snowflakes about it while hiding under the my-body-my-choice veil.
I also don't think people fully appreciate how many things "the government" does to keep people safe without anyone really noticing. I attended a traffic safety conference a few years ago for work, and it was kind of eye opening all of the things that people were working on, and all the things they could point to from the past:

-Seat belt laws
-Car seat design, safety recommendations and laws
-Speed limit and traffic light optimization
-Signage improvements and standardization
-Rumble strips on the sides of highways to alert people who are drifting off
-New types of intersection designs (e.g., roundabouts, diverging diamonds)
-(probably hundreds more)

Most of those have been largely invisible to the public (except maybe seat belt laws), but they've collectively dropped traffic fatality rates from ~25 per 100k per year in the 70s to ~10 today.

There are just as many advances in medicine over the years as well, but I haven't attended any conferences that summarize it. The part that's just so hard to understand is that most people will willingly take whatever drug their doctor prescribes with very little thought about it, but when one of them is called a "vaccine" everyone freaks out. It's bizarre.
[Reply]
O.city 12:35 PM 07-23-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
So let's say you have a large concert that wants everyone to show a vaccine card or a negative test.

Who do you think is getting a testing increase?!
What does that have to do with anything we’re talking about?
[Reply]
Page 3577 of 3903
« First < 2577307734773527356735733574357535763577 3578357935803581358736273677 > Last »
Up