Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What year did football become bigger than Baseball
Demonpenz 01:48 AM 04-28-2024
?
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:57 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by kgrund:
You guys are way off. Football in national surveys passed baseball in the 60s. I am inmy mid 50s and football has always been more popular. The only thing that has changed is the gap.
Agreed. I'm not checking the numbers, so I don't know when viewership for football passed baseball, but I think the writing was on the wall for baseball as soon as sports became televised. Baseball is a really good sport for radio, and football isn't. Football is a really good sport for tv and baseball isn't. How many people listen to radio anymore?
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:05 AM 04-28-2024
That period with the MLB strike and the Cowboys dynasty seems about right to me.
[Reply]
Spott 09:08 AM 04-28-2024
For me it was 89/90 when Marty arrived. That’s when KC became a football town almost overnight.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:13 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
That period with the MLB strike and the Cowboys dynasty seems about right to me.
yep, baseball missed its chance because it caved to the players. If they had a real salary cap in baseball where the Dodgers and the royals spend the same amount of money, it would be in way better shape.

One of the keys to the the NFL dominance is its good for TV but also KC, Green Bay etc. have just as good of a chance as the large metro areas have to win.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:17 AM 04-28-2024
94 during the baseball strike?
[Reply]
Jerm 09:23 AM 04-28-2024
A more interesting question IMO is when do we think the NFL took this stratospheric leap to the point where anything it does dwarfs everything else in sports and does it relatively easy…it really has become the only 24/7/365 sport.

I get that football has always been huge but it didn’t used to be like it is now where hell the schedule release will have bigger ratings than playoff games in other sports…

The NFL has really figured it out, hell Fantasy Football is more popular than some mainstream sports lol.
[Reply]
hawkchief 09:26 AM 04-28-2024
1994. Realized what a joke of a “sport” baseball is during the strike. Whiny, overpaid players and greedy large-market owners unwilling to look at the NFL revenue sharing model that provides a chance for legitimate competition. The the K became an advertising billboard, further expanding how pathetic baseball is, and that the Royals would rarely be competitive, and the owners were simply trying to sell you something other than their product, so they could survive.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 09:31 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
yep, baseball missed its chance because it caved to the players. If they had a real salary cap in baseball where the Dodgers and the royals spend the same amount of money, it would be in way better shape.

One of the keys to the the NFL dominance is its good for TV but also KC, Green Bay etc. have just as good of a chance as the large metro areas have to win.
Yep, this 100%. Baseball not only needs a hard cap, but also a hard salary floor.

This would help the lower revenue teams, i.e. KC Royals from being nothing more than an extended farm league for the high revenue teams.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:34 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
After the MLB strike in 1994. That pissed a lot of people off that never came back.
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
[Reply]
wbbonneriii 09:35 AM 04-28-2024
The Catch
[Reply]
notorious 09:37 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
Owners brought that on themselves. Ass-raping tax payers while their franchise evals skyrocket into the billions.

It's almost automatic for me anymore. I'm on the players side to get as much as they can. Fuck the owners.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:49 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:
Once MLB got all the mega TV contracts for just a few teams and only a few teams win every year for the last 30+ years.

There is no hope in MLB for 90% of the teams.
I wouldn't say there's no hope, but very little. But the sad reality is that even if a small market team catches lightning in a bottle and wins, like the 2014-2015 Royals, they'll immediately get gutted by the big money teams.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:55 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by Renegade:
I agree it was after the baseball strike. My question is why did football not experience the same downturn when they went on strike and played with replacement players?
I understand there are lots of things that get more interesting if you get into them. But for instance, bowling is never going to be a top 5 spectator sport.

My question, how was baseball ever more popular than football in the first place?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:58 AM 04-28-2024
Joe Namath/Super Bowl III.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:08 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Yep, this 100%. Baseball not only needs a hard cap, but also a hard salary floor.

This would help the lower revenue teams, i.e. KC Royals from being nothing more than an extended farm league for the high revenue teams.
NBA ratings aren't that great, but they seemed to be more balanced between big market and small teams.

For decades, the big stars left for big markets as soon as they could to put together teams.

Okay LeBron went back to Cleveland after Miami but whatever.

And Toronto went all in one year and it worked out.

But now a number of small or at least, not traditional big NBA teams, are in the mix.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up