ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Anyone Here Drive A Jaguar?
philfree 02:22 PM 01-23-2021
I've always wanted a Jag and then with my new house unbelievably my 4 door Silverado wouldn't fit in my side of the garage. So I sold it and now I need to buy a car or a smaller truck. The wife drives a Tahoe so we're covered if it snows or need to haul a trailer. So I'm leaning sports car. I've had a Mustang 5.0, a Camaro Z-28, a Vette and a couple Cadillacs. Had '79 Ford Thunderbird with a 351. My wife mentioned getting a BMW but I was like okay but I've always wanted Jaguar.

I'm looking at a 2017 F-Type Convertible

Anybody have any experience with Jaguars?
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:52 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
This is all true. There's still a years warranty left on this car but there is not a Jaguar Dealer here in Springfield so I'd have to go to KC or Tulsa for warranty service most likely. It's all stuff to think about. I've wanted a Jaguar since the early 80s though. I suppose status could have a little to do with it but probably more to do with liking badass expensive shit.
Nothing wrong with that, and the thing anyone considering this type of purchase needs to understand is that the cost of the vehicle is simply the cost of admission. No matter what you buy, it's going to be expensive to drive. Resale values are a factor to keep in mind as well, some high end sports cars drop like a rock. Do your research before you fall in love with anything.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:55 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If you just gotta have a high end foreign jobber, you're better off with a Beemer, Benz or Porsche
There's hits and misses with any brand. Benz had issues with disintegrating wiring harnesses in the early 2000s and also problematic and expensive to fix air ride suspensions. Porsche had the notorious IMF bearing failures.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:56 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
IMO, nothing touches a Mercedes for anything $100k or below.

Back in the late 80's, I had a job at a high performance car/mail order warehouse. I spoke to dozens of clients that yanked the motor from their Jaguar's and replaced them with a Chevy 350 because the motor mount fit perfectly.

I would have figured that Jaguar's performance would have improved since being purchased by Ford. I don't know anyone that's owned a Jag in the past 10 years so I don't have any data for a comparison but that would be a shame if they're still having the same issues 30 years later.
Thats cool trivia about a Chevy big block fitting perfectly, I didn't know that

I got out of the car biz in 2012, and Jags rep was apparently still a thing at that point because our GM wouldn't touch them... straight to auction they went
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:59 PM 01-23-2021
Just curious, looking at the 6 or 8 cylinder?

I've never driven one, but the best advice I've heard on sports cars is narrow it down to the few you want to test drive, start with the least exciting one, and under no circumstances keep test driving once you're excited about one (not that I've followed that advice :-)).

At that starting point, I'd personally be interested in a used Porsche Cayman or like a BMW M6 or Mercedes AMG, as well as test driving the Jag.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:01 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
IMO, nothing touches a Mercedes for anything $100k or below.
My car guys told me to avoid Mercedes because once they hit a certain mileage they fall apart big time and value drops like a rock. I still want one of these days but I've been really happy with my Cadillacs.
[Reply]
In58men 04:02 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Go to bed you sunken eyed piece of shit. I know that coke you snorted off a transgendered woman's cock is keeping you up but you look like shit these days.

Drink some water and get some sleep.
Lol
[Reply]
Eureka 04:06 PM 01-23-2021
My mother in-laws Jaguar just broke down in front or our house the other night. She loves the car but it is in the shop often. She babies it and it seems to always have an issue. This time it was a trans issue. Same as last time.

I'd recommend getting a rare Chevy SS. Customize it a little to your taste and you'd have a practical 4-door car with some monster power.

If you're really set on the Jag then get it. You like what you like.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:13 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Nothing wrong with that, and the thing anyone considering this type of purchase needs to understand is that the cost of the vehicle is simply the cost of admission. No matter what you buy, it's going to be expensive to drive. Resale values are a factor to keep in mind as well, some high end sports cars drop like a rock. Do your research before you fall in love with anything.
Yeah, the best example I have when it comes to the cost of buying a sports car is when I took mine through the Black Hills shortly after buying it.... and there was a road in particular that was basically an amusement ride for my car.

I was locked on the road while a buddy from Omaha kept telling me I should be enjoying the scenery and what not.... and later he said, you know, I think you thoroughly enjoyed that drive more than I did.

And my response was.... well, that's probably why I spent a good amount more on my car than what you've spent on yours.

For some people, a car is for point A to point B, and in that case you sure as hell don't want to pay a premium for a depreciating asset.

Otherwise, you still want to be smart about it, but you're paying for a little fun, too. :-)

*edit: Spearfish Canyon Highway.... it's amazing.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:14 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Go to bed you sunken eyed piece of shit. I know that coke you snorted off a transgendered woman's cock is keeping you up but you look like shit these days.

Drink some water and get some sleep.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
philfree 04:27 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Just curious, looking at the 6 or 8 cylinder?

I've never driven one, but the best advice I've heard on sports cars is narrow it down to the few you want to test drive, start with the least exciting one, and under no circumstances keep test driving once you're excited about one (not that I've followed that advice :-)).

At that starting point, I'd personally be interested in a used Porsche Cayman or like a BMW M6 or Mercedes AMG, as well as test driving the Jag.
V8
[Reply]
philfree 04:33 PM 01-23-2021
I've always preferred Chevys. Like I said I've had a Vette and loved it. I've thought about going that route again. But then I've always wanted a Jag.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 04:36 PM 01-23-2021
almost bought that exact same car 6 months back. Damn it was a fun test drive!

Was grinning ear to ear listening to the exhaust, etc. etc.

That said, I test drove a couple, and the top (when up) seemed to rattle quite a bit. Also noticed that on many of that model, the carpeting tears away from the center console.

Overall, the insurance was a tad higher than I wanted to spend - and the knuckleheads at Jaguar/Land Rover Newport Beach didnt want to bargain a single penny - so I moved on.

Beautiful car and fun ride though. No place for groceries though - that trunk wont even hold golf clubs.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:39 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
My car guys told me to avoid Mercedes because once they hit a certain mileage they fall apart big time and value drops like a rock. I still want one of these days but I've been really happy with my Cadillacs.
I've only leased Mercedes in the past, so I can't compare that to ownership but I had a 2004 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition on a 42 month lease that needed the brakes replaced twice after only 18,000 miles.

The stop and start traffic was a killer on a 6,001 pound vehicle.
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:41 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Wouldn't happen to have been in Lenexa by chance?

I have no idea if Lucas still exists but my experience replacing their crap was extensive.
No, it was on Shawnee Mission Pkwy near Neiman Road. He had another store in midtown on Broadway.
[Reply]
Donger 04:44 PM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
No, it was on Shawnee Mission Pkwy near Neiman Road. He had another store in midtown on Broadway.
Gotcha. Victoria British was my go-to. And I went there a lot...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up