ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 173 of 205
« First < 73123163169170171172173 174175176177183 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****OFFICIAL NBA Regular Season Thread****
dirk digler 10:59 AM 12-25-2011
Let's get it on... finally
sedated 03:56 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
How do the players get away with not showing up for work? Shouldn’t they get fined?
:-)

What are they gonna do, release Giannis and make the MVP a free agent? Would you want the Chiefs to release Mahomes if he did the same thing?

This talking point is idiotic and tired.
DaneMcCloud 03:58 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Half of those things aren't happening. And MLB starts in April in normal years.
The only sport not "happening" right now is college football.

Major League Baseball spans from late March to late October (if not November). MLB playoff games always lose Head-To-Head in the ratings when programmed opposite of the NFL, so that's really not at issue.

The biggest issue is that the NBA is normally on break at this time of the year, making it impossible to compare ratings 1-to-1.
KC_Connection 04:00 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
(Just a guess...) they may postpone today's games until tomorrow and move it all back a day. There is a meeting scheduled tonight.

Emotions are raw, players were already worn out of bubble environment prior to the Jacob Blake shooting and sources say discussions within teams are ongoing about postponing tomorrow's three games too -- and beyond. "The season is in jeopardy," one vet player here tells ESPN.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) August 26, 2020

If this is true and the players really do decide to strike/sit out/leave the bubble, I don't know how the NBA can just sit by and let their entire business go to shit. Thing is, if they do act in any way whatsoever (such as abolishing the CBA which is their right if the players don't abide by it), they'll be absolutely destroyed by the media.
BigCatDaddy 04:02 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Has potential to be a very ugly night.

"Players meeting in the bubble tonight. Was told by a player that the season is in jeopardy"
Good. ****em. Just a few weeks until Mahomie takes the field anyways.
DaneMcCloud 04:02 PM 08-26-2020
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/g...lake-shooting/

Giants delay practice to discuss social injustice in the wake of Jacob Blake shooting

New York is the second NFL team in two days to alter its training camp schedule for the cause

DJ's left nut 04:02 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
College basketball is fucking garbage. 99.999999% of those kids can't play defense or shoot.
Absolutely 100% true.

The quality of the product is just night and day. Anyone that claims the NBA sucks and college is where it's at doesn't really understand what they're watching.

There's not a single metric whereby college is a better sport. Just because your average college player will miss 1/2 the open 14 footers he takes doesn't mean they actually play any defense down there - most of those clowns just can't shoot. And if they're running across the court to close out on someone 20 feet away, that's not 'hustle' that's 'being out of position'.

College ball blows hard. But I've been a Lakers fan for about 25 years now and I simply do not like Lebron James. Didn't like him before we signed him and was only interested in signing him because it would yield Anthony Davis.

Honestly - I kinda liked rooting for the Ingram/Hart squad more than this one. I really preferred they keep Russell over that hack Lonzo.

I've seen maybe one Lakers game this year, and not start to finish. It's just a team of mercenaries and a guy who I have simply never liked. So I haven't watched a single second of the playoffs and apart from seeing a segment when the Lakers evidently blew game 1 (Portland?) in passing, I couldn't tell you how the series stands.

Man - I'm not a casual fan. I stuck with these guys through the rebuilding years. And this league lost me.

And unless their approach is attempting to launch the first salvo of a wholesale war of athletes across all major sports vs. society - there's no positive end game for them here.

They can keep pushing harder for a crowd they already have if they'd like. I don't think it'll work out for them like they think it will...
tk13 04:03 PM 08-26-2020
The Milwaukee Brewers are not going to play tonight.

The Brewers have decided not to play tonight’s game.

— Jared Diamond (@jareddiamond) August 26, 2020

sedated 04:05 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:

If this is true and the players really do decide to strike/sit out/leave the bubble, I don't know how the NBA can just sit by and let their entire business go to shit. Thing is, if they do act in any way whatsoever (such as abolishing the CBA which is their right if the players don't abide by it), they'll be absolutely destroyed by the media.
It sounds like the bubble and isolation is one of the main factors. Paul George said something to that effect in post-game yesterday.
sedated 04:08 PM 08-26-2020
The only sport not "happening" right now is college football.

Major League Baseball spans from late March to late October (if not November). MLB playoff games always lose Head-To-Head in the ratings when programmed opposite of the NFL, so that's really not at issue.

The biggest issue is that the NBA is normally on break at this time of the year, making it impossible to compare ratings 1-to-1.
You mentioned NFL pre-season games too, and those were all cancelled.

I agree that everything is unusual now and ratings are tough to compare (and frankly I don't give a shit, I watch what I enjoy and don't care what others do and why), but some of the things listed just don't apply.
O.city 04:09 PM 08-26-2020
So they’re already sick of the bubble and people thought the nfl should or could do it for 7 months lol
tk13 04:10 PM 08-26-2020

Following the cancellation of the Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds game tonight, more teams are discussing the possibility of not playing, sources tell ESPN. Among those currently discussing it: the Seattle Mariners, who have the most Black players of any team in MLB.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 26, 2020

DaneMcCloud 04:11 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
They can keep pushing harder for a crowd they already have if they'd like. I don't think it'll work out for them like they think it will...
I can understand not liking LeBron. I despised Joe Montana, from his time at Notre Dame right up until he was traded to the Chiefs and even then, I had a really difficult time rooting for him.

I think it's possible that millions of Americans feel the same you do about the current issues enveloping the NBA but I also believe that it won't stop there. NFL teams are also affected and so far, two teams have put a halt to practices due to what's been happening in Wisconsin.

The NBA is basically the "Canary in a Coal Mine" because it's comprised mostly of African-Americans, same as the NFL.

What happens if an NFL team or superstar decides to skip a game in protest? Will millions stop watching and lose interest?

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.
tk13 04:13 PM 08-26-2020
I can understand not liking LeBron. I despised Joe Montana, from his time at Notre Dame right up until he was traded to the Chiefs and even then, I had a really difficult time rooting for him.

I think it's possible that millions of Americans feel the same you do about the current issues enveloping the NBA but I also believe that it won't stop there. NFL teams are also affected and so far, two teams have put a halt to practices due to what's been happening in Wisconsin.

The NBA is basically the "Canary in a Coal Mine" because it's comprised mostly of African-Americans, same as the NFL.

What happens if an NFL team or superstar decides to skip a game in protest? Will millions stop watching and lose interest?

I think that's the million dollar question, as we talked about at the beginning of this discussion. The question isn't the NBA but what are the other sports going to do. Having someone like Giannis do this pretty much opens the door for anything. What Patrick Mahomes ends up saying about this could end up being very important. I have no idea.
DJ's left nut 04:15 PM 08-26-2020

Dane - I mean this with all sincerity.

They'll lose this one. The MLB and the NFL will as well. I drop probably 5 figures annually on this product w/ STs and all that jazz. I can get a damn nice drum sander with that.

Meanwhile I've got some shitdick fungible reliever like Sean Doolittle on Twitter saying "Sports are the rewards of a functioning society" like he's my dad telling me I'll eat my peas before I get my ice cream. Fuck off, Sean. You don't give a large rats ass about anyone burning up the city. You're the just another hypocrite.

Where Doolittle completely misses the point - and the same place the NBA does - is they assume they are fundamental to society. Nah...hobbies are. And if you'll let us out of our MFing houses, we'll just find new ones.

We don't need these guys. We damn sure don't need them preaching to us.

There aren't many people that are more hardcore fans than I am when it comes to football, baseball and hockey. I know the minors, I know the tactics, I know the contracts. I invest a shitload of time and money into these products.

If I'll walk away - so will damn near all of them.

And I absolutely will walk away. I'm sick and fucking tired of being preached at by these ignorant hypocrites.
UChieffyBugger 04:16 PM 08-26-2020
TO ALL THE IGNORANT KC FANS WHO ARE MOANING ABOUT SPORTS STARS MAKING A STAND!!..YOU BETTER BE PREPARED BECAUSE I HAVE NO DOUBT PAT WILL MAKE A STAND TOO IF THINGS CONTINUE DOWN THIS PATH...HE'S ALREADY DONE IT AND HE WILL DO IT AGAIN!!..HE PRETTY MUCH CONFIRMED IT TO PETER KING IN AN INTERVIEW THE OTHER DAY.
Page 173 of 205
« First < 73123163169170171172173 174175176177183 > Last »
Up