ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 324
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:06 PM 01-24-2019
This will be an unpopular opinion but I hope he fires Wmmitt Thomas
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06:07 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Thomas retired.
No he didn’t. He’s still on the coaching staff
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:08 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Why would that be unpopular? Our DBs had horrific fundamentals.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:08 PM 01-24-2019
When Spags has had talent, he’s been great. When he hasn’t, he’s been bad.

You can do this with just about every long time DC in football.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:08 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
You think other teams don’t know we are not going to pay him. He has no place in a 4-3
That's what we said about Alex Smith last year. This stuff happens every year to a guy on the trade block. We may not get blue chip trade bait. But no, I don't think him being under contract is an obstacle. If a team wants him, and can't imagine why there wouldn't be interest, they're not going to wait for us to cut him. And the Chiefs are probably not above absorbing a 1 yr contract if it means getting a better trade, but I doubt it will come to that.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:09 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Reid knows what he’s doing. There’s no doubt about it.
Yet he kept Bob Sutton last year...
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:10 PM 01-24-2019
One things for sure about spagnuolo is he cares a ton about DB's. He either cares too much about it to let a bad coach stay. Or he will basically outrank a bad DB's coach and teach him the right way. That's one positions group that doesn't really concern me.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:10 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I think that Williams was just signed on a one year deal, so I'm not sure that he'll be back. What about Speaks? I would assume that he's your DE. I assume that Ragland won't be back. Buffalo traded him to us when they switched to a 4-3 because he didn't fit. It'll be interesting to see if Ford is tagged and traded. After this year, he will be starting if he's not traded. And what about Neimann? Does he fit the 4-3?
I hope we keep Williams if he's willing to sign a reasonable contract. He is an ideal 1-tech next to a 3-tech like Jones.

Speaks will probably be a weakside DE. I think Neimann can be a strongside linebacker.

It will be really interesting to see what happens with our linebackers. In a 4-3 the linebackers have much more protection and can run freely and attack. The MLB in a 4-3 has to be a tackling machine. Remember that Donnie Edwards played MLB for a while because of his range. Some Defensive Coordinators want their MLB to be an attacking, downhill linebacker. At the snap of the ball the MLB has already read the play and is shooting a gap.

I don't know what Spagnuolo is going to do.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:10 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Or promoting Juan Castillo from OL to DC back in Philadelphia.
[Reply]
In58men 06:11 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I don’t get the crapping all over this selection. What did you expect? Reid likes working with coaches he knows. He needs to trust them. Misplaced trust sometimes but still it’s his decision. It may have been decided before they even fired Sutton.

We don’t need a top ten defense. We just need a middle of the pack defense. Spags should get us there.

Mahomes is why we are a legitimate contender now. Who thought Mahomes would progress this far and fast? MVP his first season as a starter? Reid deserves the credit. He over there in the game sitting with him coaching him up. As he should be. We will rise or fall on how well Mahomes performs. It looks like Reid is perfect so far in his most important job. What coach Reid wants, Reid gets.
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Might as well since we had Smith. Wasn’t gonna do shit anyways.
[Reply]
kcxiv 06:11 PM 01-24-2019
am not mad. We dont need the number 1 defense. They just need to not sucks! Hell, we were 1 man lining up offsides from the superbowl.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:11 PM 01-24-2019
Wade Phillips was considered the best DC in football just a few years ago, but since he has all that talent he hasn’t been nearly as good.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that it will come down to getting more talent to go along with him. Hell, I think Spags is an improvement from Sutton, but even Sutton showed he could get it done when he had the talent.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:12 PM 01-24-2019
Absolutely, bye Emmitt.

I would rather have him fire all our current coaches than keep them all. We need the soft,lazy bullshit burned out of our defense.
[Reply]
wazu 06:12 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

Never asked for that. Just want competent defense. Don't care how. Be top 20ish. Spags is more of a Top 31 or 32 defense guy. JUST LIKE THE GUY WE FUCKING FIRED.
[Reply]
BossChief 06:12 PM 01-24-2019
Here’s the bright side:

This team is going to score a ton of points next year and Spags will formulate defenses that focus on generating pressure on opposing QBs and imo the talent this team has fits a 4-3 under style defense pretty well. Our DL should be pretty damn good right away. Their jobs just got simplified and that should definetely play to their strengths.

Hitchens and DOD should be able to pretty much hit the ground running. Maybe we try to add K.J. Wright to round out the Linebackers.

One things for sure...he’s gonna need a lot of talent to make it work.

Sign Collins and trade for Ramsey/PP and we should be able to have a good shot at getting past NE next year.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 324
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Up