ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 20
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
Buckweath 11:42 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
My hope at CB is that we re-sign Fuller to a reasonable deal to go with Ward and Fenton. Then sign a Breeland-type FA on a 1year prove it deal and draft two more.

Fuller also gives us added depth at safety until Thornhill returns.
I like Fuller but I really don't see the team resigning him. Same with Robinson.
[Reply]
O.city 11:44 AM 02-18-2020
I don't really want to compare things to the Pats. That was a one off thing that won't happen again. Don't hold this current Chiefs regime up to that to measure success.

If you win multiple SB's, you're in a class with very few. 6 just isn't gonna happen.
[Reply]
Stinger 11:45 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
IMVHO I sign Jones. A DL who can gets sacks from the interior (ala Aaron Donald) next to QB are probably the most valuable person on the team.
Yep. With QBs getting the ball out quicker edge rushers are finding it harder to get to the qb, but if you can get the push up the middle that changes everything.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:48 AM 02-18-2020
I’ll argue to keep Jones but in the end I’m going to trust Veach. If he thinks that we’re better off trading Jones...then so be it. But I’m not supporting it if we get a Dee Ford return back.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:48 AM 02-18-2020
Jones. The quickest way to the QB is up the middle. He is very good at that and very hard to replace. Draft picks are always crap shoots. We already know what we get with Jones. I don’t think his contract will be as oppressive if there is a separate QB cap or at least cap relief for QB salaries. I strongly believe that will pass with the next CBA. Every team stands to benefit from it.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:49 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't really want to compare things to the Pats. That was a one off thing that won't happen again. Don't hold this current Chiefs regime up to that to measure success.

If you win multiple SB's, you're in a class with very few. 6 just isn't gonna happen.
You shouldn’t make that the expectation, but we would be foolish to not imitate some of the things that made them successful (without cheating obviously)
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:51 AM 02-18-2020
Dynasties are just so rare in the NFL that shit has to match up well for it to work. I think you probably have cycles where you go more in for a SB, then clean things up and carry on etc.

It's probably time to clean up the cap and go young. It sucks to lose a player like Jones, but it is what it is. I wouldn't give him away by any means though.
Every decade has a dynasty though. Who is better positioned to be that in the 2020’s than KC? No one else has coach and QB figured out like we do.
[Reply]
O.city 11:53 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
You shouldn’t make that the expectation, but we would be foolish to not imitate some of the things that made them successful (without cheating obviously)
They had the GOAT QB on a cheap deal. That's not likely to repeat here.
[Reply]
Three7s 11:53 AM 02-18-2020
For me, it depends on how high the pick is and if any other picks are thrown in. Inside pressure is severely underrated and Jones did improve as a run defender throughout the year. If the pick is anything above #20 and no other picks involved, I'd say pass. Top 20?........maybe.
[Reply]
TLO 11:55 AM 02-18-2020
Chris Jones is worth an absolute haul. Tag and trade him. Maybe it's because we've been burned on Justin Houston and Eric Berry in the past, but I'm not keen on giving defensive players gigantic contracts.

It's a roll of the dice either way.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:55 AM 02-18-2020
If we can get a mid first AND third this year, I’d move him. Or a mid first this year and a second next year. Otherwise, having a stacked DL and an offense led by Mahomes is a recipe for sustained dominance.

Wanna trade someone? Trade Watkins, LDT and Erving.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:55 AM 02-18-2020
But doesn’t that further prove that we should imitate some of how they managed their personnel? We’ll have more cap constraints than they did, so we’ll need to be even smarter than they were to maintain this level of success.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:56 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Chris Jones is worth an absolute haul. Tag and trade him. Maybe it's because we've been burned on Justin Houston and Eric Berry in the past, but I'm not keen on giving defensive players gigantic contracts.

It's a roll of the dice either way.
We’re definitely putting more eggs in one basket by re-signing Jones. If we trade and keep the cap space, we can put the resources into multiple pieces.
[Reply]
TLO 11:57 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
If we can get a mid first AND third this year, I’d move him. Or a mid first this year and a second next year. Otherwise, having a stacked DL and an offense led by Mahomes is a recipe for sustained dominance.

Wanna trade someone? Trade Watkins, LDT and Erving.
Watkins would need a new contract.
We might get a JUGS machine for LDT
We might get a wet paper towel for Erving.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:58 AM 02-18-2020

I think Mahomes will take a smaller deal in order to keep winning. He can make up the difference in endorsements.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 20
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up