ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3142 of 3903
« First < 2142264230423092313231383139314031413142 31433144314531463152319232423642 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bob Dole 11:55 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Man, I don't know.

This is going to string out until at least summer, and I doubt many venues are going to be able to float it that long to be honest.

Things will for sure look a lot different. Probably a lot more pop-up events and non-traditional venue shows. Probably a lot less bigger events and established venues.
Our major live music venues are bars, mostly on the AR side. So far, they are still open and booking again Th,Fri and Sat at one I just passed. The musicians around here have taken a serious hit, though. One friend touring with Charlie Farley just walked away (though he gets decent revenue from the stuff he’s sold in Nashville over the years).
[Reply]
TLO 12:24 PM 11-18-2020
From Derek Lowe (major expert in the field)

How long will the vaccine protection last?

This one can’t be answered with total confidence by any other way than just waiting and watching. But we will be able to give a meaningful answer well before that, fortunately. Here, just out in the last couple of days, is the most long-term and comprehensive look at the duration of immunity in recovered coronavirus patients. In fact, it appears to be the largest and most detailed study of post-viral-infection immunity in the entire medical literature (!) It’s from a multi-center team at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology, UCSD, and Mt. Sinai, and it looks at 185 patients who had a range of infection experiences, from asymptomatic to severe. 38 of the subjects provided longitudinal blood samples across six months.

We’ve already seen from the convalescent plasma comparison samples in the various vaccine Phase I trials that the antibody response to coronavirus infection can be quite variable, and that was the case in this study as well. That gives you wide error bars when you try. to calculate half-lives, and it’s not even clear what kind of decay curve the antibody levels will best fit to (it might well be different in different patients). But one figure to take home is that 90% of the subjects were still seropositive for neutralizing antibodies at the 6 to 8 month time points. The authors point out that in primate studies, even low titers (>1:20) of such neutralizing antibodies were still largely protective, so if humans work similarly, that’s a good sign. An even better sign, though, are the numbers for memory B cells, which are the long-term antibody producers that help to provide immunological memory. B-cells specific to the Spike and to the nucleocapsid coronavirus proteins actually increased over a five-month period post-symptom-onset, thus with no apparent half-life at all. These had interesting variations in antibody type (by the end of the period, they were strongly IgG, the others having dropped off), but as the paper notes, we really don’t have many viral infection profiles in humans to compare these results to. B-cell memory overall, though, looks to be long-lasting, and is expected by these results to stretch into years. For what it’s worth, there are patients who survived the 1918 influenza pandemic who had B cells that still responded with fresh neutralizing antibodies after over 90 years, so they can be rather hardy.

What about the other immune (and immune memory) component, T cells? The news there is good as well. CD4+ and CD8+ memory T cells appear to have half-lives of at least five or six months in these patients, and helper T cells (crucial for those memory B cells to respond later on) were completely stable over the entire period studied. Again, there are very few viral infection studies to compare this one to, but these numbers look consistent with long-term protection via reactivated immune memory.

Looking over the whole set of patients, it was clear that the immune system’s famously individual character was on full display here. That heterogeneity could well be the reason that there are real cases of re-infection, although it still seems to be rare. Different components of the immune response (both in antibodies and T cells) varied widely among patients, and these differences only became more pronounced over time. Nevertheless, at the five-month time point in a measure of five components of immune response and memory, 96% of patients were still positive on at least three of them (the categories were IgG antibodies against the Spike receptor-binding domain (RBD), IgA antibodies against the same Spike RBD, memory B cells aimed at the RBD, total SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8+ T cells, and total SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ T cells).

Bottom line: Taken together, this study, several others over the past few months, and this recent work all paint a consistent picture of a strong, normal, lasting immune response in the great majority of patients. Add in the results we’re seeing from the two vaccines that have reported interim data so far, and I think that the prospects for lasting immunity from vaccination are also very good. Remember, the early vaccine data suggested antibody responses at least as strong as those found in naturally infected cases.There seems (so far) every reason to think that vaccine-based immunity will be as good or better than that conferred by actual coronavirus infection. I very much look forward to more data to shore up this conclusion, but that’s how it looks to me at the moment.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...-possibilities
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:37 PM 11-18-2020
I know it's just music but man, it's depressing to see this.

Not only is this virus killing people itself, it's killing people through the depressive side effects AND it's killing all of our outlets for escape - bars, movie theaters, live music - so many things that help us deal with every day life are disappearing.

It's hard not to get caught up in nihilism over something like this. It's one thing to physically survive but another thing to live in a world with ever decreasing amounts of joy.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:52 PM 11-18-2020
Hospital Covid numbers...

Over the last week, 898 patients at Miami’s public hospitals tested positive for the novel coronavirus, but more than half of them — 471 — were admitted for other reasons, largely to emergency rooms, without typical COVID-19 symptoms.

Public health experts say it’s yet another indicator of increasingly widespread transmission of the virus in Miami-Dade County, as the virus ramps up across the country. Vicky Perez, a nurse and the director of critical care at Jackson North Medical Center, said she’s seen it in growing numbers: patients who show up for anything from a car accident to abdominal pain are later testing positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...247234864.html

So even the hospital numbers are full of people that tested +on an over-calibrated PCR test and are not in the hospital because of Covid.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:56 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I know it's just music but man, it's depressing to see this.

Not only is this virus killing people itself, it's killing people through the depressive side effects AND it's killing all of our outlets for escape - bars, movie theaters, live music - so many things that help us deal with every day life are disappearing.

It's hard not to get caught up in nihilism over something like this. It's one thing to physically survive but another thing to live in a world with ever decreasing amounts of joy.
Thank god we have still have sports.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:02 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Hospital Covid numbers...

Over the last week, 898 patients at Miami’s public hospitals tested positive for the novel coronavirus, but more than half of them — 471 — were admitted for other reasons, largely to emergency rooms, without typical COVID-19 symptoms.

Public health experts say it’s yet another indicator of increasingly widespread transmission of the virus in Miami-Dade County, as the virus ramps up across the country. Vicky Perez, a nurse and the director of critical care at Jackson North Medical Center, said she’s seen it in growing numbers: patients who show up for anything from a car accident to abdominal pain are later testing positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...247234864.html

So even the hospital numbers are full of people that tested +on an over-calibrated PCR test and are not in the hospital because of Covid.
So either those people were sick and not saying anything or had no idea. Or ....
[Reply]
TLO 01:43 PM 11-18-2020
New York shutting down schools effective as of tomorrow.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:51 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
And it continues...
[Reply]
Donger 01:52 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yeah, I saw that. Sounds like the trigger was 3% positivity.
[Reply]
O.city 01:57 PM 11-18-2020
If I was a parent there I’d be furious

DeBlasio and Cuomo are awful
[Reply]
petegz28 01:58 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

Hey! Cuomo got his 11% raise so you just back off!
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:13 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

They are fine with working people not being able to pay their rent or businesses closing down as they are getting even bigger paychecks for themselves and their crew.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 02:19 PM 11-18-2020
Pfizer filing its EUA paperwork Friday
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:24 PM 11-18-2020
NFL is going to intensive Covid Protocol

https://www.nfl.com/news/all-nfl-tea...rting-saturday

Originally Posted by :
With COVID-19 infection rates rising rapidly throughout the country, the NFL announced that starting on Saturday all 32 teams will operate for the rest of the season under the league's intensive protocol.

That calls for, among other restrictions, all players and coaches must have a negative from the previous day's testing before entering the facility, in addition to regular daily PCR testing, all meetings being held virtually unless they can be held outdoors or indoors with a pre-approved plan, and for face masks being worn at all times at the facility, including on the practice field by all personnel. All meals must be served in grab and go style to prevent people from congregating in meal rooms. Locker room use is strongly discouraged on non-game days.

The protocol also prohibits team or player gatherings away from the facility, a particularly important prohibition with Thanksgiving next week.

"The upcoming holidays, beginning with Thanksgiving next week, will introduce new risks of exposure that we need to address now," Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a memo to teams Wednesday, obtained by NFL Media. "Because we have a highly sophisticated program of daily testing, we know when the virus enters our facilities, which underscores the importance of contact tracing and other steps to minimize close contacts within a facility. Recent experience has highlighted the importance of minimizing high-risk close contacts; on multiple occasions, we have seen individuals identified on that basis test positive within a short time. We have also seen many instances in which effective action by clubs to minimize these close contacts prevented the virus from spreading within the club, and avoided players or coaches being ruled out of practice or games."

[Reply]
eDave 02:26 PM 11-18-2020
It's baaaack.

Ducey is supposed to address a press conference this afternoon. Rumor has it he’ll be temporarily shutting schools, but I’ll believe that when I see it. A lot of schools are already shutting down voluntarily.

[Reply]
Page 3142 of 3903
« First < 2142264230423092313231383139314031413142 31433144314531463152319232423642 > Last »
Up