ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1792 of 3903
« First < 792129216921742178217881789179017911792 179317941795179618021842189222922792 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lewdog 10:34 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Talking about starting youth baseball practices here next month. I see the light.
All the asymptomatic Petri dish children running around sharing it and taking it home to their parents.

Wonderful idea!
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:34 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....27.20081893v1

DaFace, here's the paper i read on the estimation of herd immunity etc.
The fact that people are creatures of habit could be our saving grace. The herd immunity need of 60-70% to stop the pandemic could easily be overstated. So many of us only truly have contact with the same <=12 people day after day after day. When 40% 50% of all people can no longer spread the virus will the pandemic burn out? The craziest mind **** is that if you just isolated every human for 3 weeks it’s gone (animal kingdom cases being the exception). Of course that’s impossible, but it’s just frustrating to know the virus can’t exist without its host, and yet it’s conquering the entire free world at the moment - need to put some thc oil in my nebulizer and really have an existential crisis.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:35 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
We're just not going to wait this thing out, and I have my doubts on some vaccine being available in 18-24 months. We need to open it up. It's going to hurt, but we need to push through it and get the country spinning again.
Are you OK with that if we end up with 1.5 million deaths? Not saying it'll happen, but it's well within the range of possibilities.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:40 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Are you OK with that if we end up with 1.5 million deaths? Not saying it'll happen, but it's well within the range of possibilities.
What's the alternative? Far less deaths but a destitute country?

And at this point doesn't it just have the feeling that the can is getting kicked down the road? Can we see a point if we keep up like we are that people who are going to get it now if we open back up won't get it 6 months or a year down the road?

I don't want anyone to die from this stupid virus. But what will be the consequences if we wait too long in hopes of a cure that may or may not ever come?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:41 AM 05-03-2020
Hell no. Limited reopening is the way forward, with the knowledge hot spots will go back on stricter lockdown if needed. Ramp up testing and accurate antibody tests, get reliable tests on Amazon and Wal-mart.com. Let people test at home. Yes it will have differing results, but capitalism and consumer reviews will bear out the best products. Give people the power to know what the hell is going on with their health. You either go full lock down, or empower people with knowledge and guidance.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:41 AM 05-03-2020
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....27.20081893v1

DaFace, here's the paper i read on the estimation of herd immunity etc.
If I'm reading that correctly, that's more like "herd slowing" than "herd immunity," right? Obviously even that would be a huge win, but it's not like we could go to sporting events normally again if the theory is that it's slowed because people don't go outside their circles much.

Even then, I still just worry that in our "best case" city they're only looking at 20-30% right now, while the more rural areas of NYC are still generally < 5%. Even if you assume that you only need to hit 5%, that still means that most rural areas are going to see their deaths climb by at least 6x (and likely more) before things start to really slow down.

It's just hard for me to see a scenario where we open things up to anything resembling normal without expecting the death toll to climb to 250-500k by the time it winds down.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:42 AM 05-03-2020
Okay I am just going to throw out the cold, harsh side of it for argument sake and nothing more.

1.5 mil is .4% of our population. From strictly a numbers perspective it's insignificant. Unless you are part of the .4% anyway.....
[Reply]
DaFace 10:43 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
What's the alternative? Far less deaths but a destitute country?

And at this point doesn't it just have the feeling that the can is getting kicked down the road? Can we see a point if we keep up like we are that people who are going to get it now if we open back up won't get it 6 months or a year down the road?

I don't want anyone to die from this stupid virus. But what will be the consequences if we wait too long in hopes of a cure that may or may not ever come?
:-)

There certainly aren't any easy answers. I'm, personally, a lot more optimistic that we'll have a vaccine far earlier than 18-24 months, but it's certainly not guaranteed.
[Reply]
O.city 10:43 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
antibody testing?
Yeah. I translated the article from Dutch so the reading was not easy.
[Reply]
O.city 10:45 AM 05-03-2020
:-)

There certainly aren't any easy answers. I'm, personally, a lot more optimistic that we'll have a vaccine far earlier than 18-24 months, but it's certainly not guaranteed.
I'm guessing by September for frontline workers and the hardest hit areas.
[Reply]
O.city 10:45 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Okay I am just going to throw out the cold, harsh side of it for argument sake and nothing more.

1.5 mil is .4% of our population. From strictly a numbers perspective it's insignificant. Unless you are part of the .4% anyway.....
It's easy to say that when you don't know anyone who's been hit and such.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:46 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

Frankly, I wish more people would just get over it and argue in those terms. It's the "lives are priceless" BS that I don't really think is productive.

While it's harsh, those are the kinds of decisions we're really talking about here, and I wish we could just be more clear about it.

For the record, I personally don't think I'm willing to throw up my hands and accept that level of death, but I don't think you're a bad person for suggesting that it wouldn't be the end of the world.
[Reply]
O.city 10:47 AM 05-03-2020
If I'm reading that correctly, that's more like "herd slowing" than "herd immunity," right? Obviously even that would be a huge win, but it's not like we could go to sporting events normally again if the theory is that it's slowed because people don't go outside their circles much.

Even then, I still just worry that in our "best case" city they're only looking at 20-30% right now, while the more rural areas of NYC are still generally < 5%. Even if you assume that you only need to hit 5%, that still means that most rural areas are going to see their deaths climb by at least 6x (and likely more) before things start to really slow down.

It's just hard for me to see a scenario where we open things up to anything resembling normal without expecting the death toll to climb to 250-500k by the time it winds down.
Oh, I'm not saying where we'll be death wise. But as this paper said, it woudl significantly slow the spread and accompanied with common sense stuff maybe it woudl be enough.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:48 AM 05-03-2020
It's easy to say that when you don't know anyone who's been hit and such.
Thus my last sentence.
[Reply]
O.city 10:49 AM 05-03-2020
Frankly, I wish more people would just get over it and argue in those terms. It's the "lives are priceless" BS that I don't really think is productive.

While it's harsh, those are the kinds of decisions we're really talking about here, and I wish we could just be more clear about it.

For the record, I personally don't think I'm willing to throw up my hands and accept that level of death, but I don't think you're a bad person for suggesting that it wouldn't be the end of the world.
We build these decisions in on everything and what we're willing to do (spend) shows it. We could greatly reduce say, cancer and cancer deaths by pouring more money into research and care. But we don't because we've determined an acceptable amount of death from it at a certain price point.

It's hard discussions. I had a bioethics class in my last semester of college that was all about this type of stuff. It was kind of eye opening.
[Reply]
Page 1792 of 3903
« First < 792129216921742178217881789179017911792 179317941795179618021842189222922792 > Last »
Up