ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Ten Things About The AFC Championship: KC 38 - BUF 24
gblowfish 11:12 PM 01-24-2021
Ten Things About Tonight’s AFC Championship Game: KC 38 - Buffalo 24

10. My mom passed in May 2018. She was gone right before Mahomes started his three straight AFC Championship game run. She used to tell me my worst personal trait was that I stubbornly held grudges. Then I would joke that I’d never forgive her for telling me that. I do hold sports grudges basically forever. Today was karmic payback for 1993. 27 years ago the Chiefs were one game away from the Super Bowl, after a 23 year wait. Of course, the Bills were at the tail end of their AFC dynasty. King Carl sent out a nasty letter to season ticket holders a couple days before the game. The letter basically said “Don’t bug us for Super Bowl tickets, because you ain’t gonna get em. Don’t call. Don’t write. Shut up. Your choice to be a fan.” Then Joe Montana got thrown on his head; Marty benched Derrick Thomas and the Chiefs limped home with their tail between their legs, losing 30-13. Then the Super Bowl drought lasted another 27 years beyond that, until Andy and Patrick broke through last year. My best buddy Gary went to that game in Buffalo and had to endure all the Buffalo fans, and shitty Buffalo Weather, and the humiliation. 27 years later that game has been AVENGED and we let those chicken wing grubbing, Genesee chugging Bills Mafia snow pigs suffer like we suffered. The best thing is, after blowing a nine point lead and getting beat by two TDs, they had to GET ON A PLANE AND FLY BACK TO BUFFALO IN JANUARY! BWAHAHAHA. Revenge is mine. Oh yes, sweet revenge is mine. By the way, BILLS stands for “Boy I Love Losing Superbowls.”

9. This whole season has been so weird. I wasn’t too worried about losing to anybody in the AFC, and only got nervous when Pat got knocked woozy last week against the Browns. I knew Mahomes would clear concussion protocol starting around Wednesday for two reasons: One, the dude isn’t a giant pussy (I’m looking at YOU Sammy Watkins) and second, you know the NFL wanted him playing in this game for the ratings. I just thought Patrick would be Patrick and if he could stand up and throw the football, we’d be fine. He didn’t disappoint. It’s finally sunk in that we have “the guy” now. It’s taken a couple years to get used to it, but we have one of the few “guys” who can make all the difference. He’s our Five Head. He’s our Favre. He’s our Tommy Boy. He’s one of “those guys” who can carry a team and simply will them to win. And getting three AFC Championship games in a row at Arrowhead is a monumental feat. Historic and awesome.

8. I think Josh Allen is pretty good, but he’s not “the guy” yet. He took four sacks, a couple of them were monster sacks. He threw a couple picks and seems easy to rattle with blitzes. He ran for 88 of Buffalo’s 114 rushing yards. When the Bills were up 9-0, I wasn’t too worried. We’ve had worse first quarters. We gifted them their first TD…then they blew the extra point. KC took the lead at the nine minute mark in the 2nd quarter and never trailed after that. And when the Bills kept settling for field goals, I knew it was over for them. Three’s don’t beat seven’s vs. Mahomes, and coaches never seem to learn that.

7. Hardman made a gigantic bonehead play, muffing a punt inside the ten yard line which gave the Bills their first TD immediately after. At least he did atone with a catch-up TD in the second quarter, and broke a 50 yard run which was good for almost half of the teams total rushing yards on that one play. I’d feel better with Pringle fielding punts. Don’t want to use Tyreek Hill because he’s too valuable as a wide out.

6. Tyreek has a game that will help him make it to Canton. He set the all time KC single playoff game record with 177 yards. 71 of that was on a simple slant play that he broken field ran almost for a TD. If he could have gotten one more downfield block he would have made it. His speed is just crazy. Romo said on the 71 yarder he got up to around 21 mph. Wow.

5. Kelce shredded the Buffalo secondary with 13 catches, 118 yards and 2 TDs. I believe he broke Gronk’s single season/post season record. Buffalo was worst against the tight end this season and it showed. Mitch said the Sausage tied Dustin Colquitt for playing in his 12th Chiefs playoff game. That’s pretty awesome for Sherman.

4. Spags defense did a great job. The last seven points for the Bills was garbage time. The two TDs the defense gave up were after the muffed punt and after the onside kick recovery. In all the other Buffalo scoring drives, they gave up field goals only. Two of them were from 50 yards. The first Bills game in Buffalo was chippy. This one was too. The defense seemed to come out with a real bad attitude and slapped the Bills around a lot. They laid some lumber, and made Allen run for his life on several occasions. Sneed played great, so did Fenton. Jones was a force inside, but not much again from Frank Clark. Kudos to Breeland for holding Diggs to six catches, 77 yards and zero TDs. They knocked the crap out of Mrs Beasley and put him out of the game. Dirty Dan did a decent job on Knox the tight end, and only missed one tackle that I can remember.

3. Buttkicker was perfect on all kicks, and the Chiefs only had to punt one time. So the Bills special teams were limited. The two bad special plays were muffing the punt, and giving up an onside kick. That kick was well executed, but Watts should have come down with the ball. It just ended up giving Buffalo a garbage time TD, making the winning margin 14 instead of 21.

2. The guys who got concussions should be OK by the Super Bowl. Fisher is most likely done for the year if he has a torn achilles. This means from last years Super Bowl line, we’ll be missing both tackles (Fisher and Schwartz) and one guard (LDT). So after seeing Tampa’s pass rush, this will be concerning. One difference is Patrick is more mobile than Rodgers, so he may be able to run away from trouble easier. And his foot should be much better in two weeks. Tampa’s two starting safeties are hurt, and I don’t know if they’ll be back or not. Both teams have guys wounded. We’ll have to watch the injury reports as they develop.

1. We’re headed back to our fourth Super Bowl. So far we’re 2-1. This is the first time one of the participants gets to play in their home stadium, but with the Covid thing, it will still be a sterile, basically neutral site. I don’t know what the price on Super Bowl tickets will be, but it’ll probably be crazy stupid. Scalper tickets downstairs for today’s game were $1700 each. It was great to see another Lamar Hunt trophy find a home in Arrowhead. It took so long to get one, and now that trophy has a twin brother! Very happy for Clark Hunt, and proud of the job the organization did to keep Covid from screwing things up this season. So we’ll see you all again on February 7th, and see if we can get revenge for the 2018 AFC Championship game. Know what would be great? If the game goes into OT, Chiefs win the toss, Patrick marches the team down and scores a TD, and all Tommy Boy can do is stand and watch. That would be karmic payback, and would be the sweetest revenge of all. It's going to be hard to listen to all the Brady Fellatio by the National Press the next two weeks, but it is what it is. Congratulations to all the Chiefs Kingdom and our family here on the Chiefs Planet. Let’s celebrate for a day, then start watching Bucs film.
[Reply]
Otter 05:44 AM 01-25-2021
Great write up GB.

I'm really impressed on how Sneed is developing as well.

This team is the place to be at the moment. They elevate one another to new levels and the synergy is palpable. For example when Hardman fumbled they didn't bench him, discourage him, or give him the cold shoulder.

They gathered around him, didn't let him pout and went out of their way to make sure he shook it off then made it an immediate point to get him the ball and get him is confidence back.

This is good stuff we're seeing right now and God dammit, we deserve it.

Thanks GB! We're off to the Super Bowl, again. Back to back no less. Hard to believe after all these years.

:-)
[Reply]
Pointer19 06:26 AM 01-25-2021
Nice. I checked TicketMaster last night... no regular Joe is getting into that game! $10k minimum per ticket when I looked.

Run it back.
[Reply]
Otter 06:31 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
Nice. I checked TicketMaster last night... no regular Joe is getting into that game! $10k minimum per ticket when I looked.

Run it back.
That's just the ticket.

Every restaurant, hotel, motel, parking lot, meter maid, and hot dog vendor are going to be fleecing you that weekend.
[Reply]
digger 06:36 AM 01-25-2021

[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:44 AM 01-25-2021
Nice read as always!
[Reply]
Kman34 06:53 AM 01-25-2021
Thanks Mr. Blowfish... Patrick Mahomes is the best QB in the world...
[Reply]
otherstar 07:32 AM 01-25-2021
For some odd reason, I never doubted that the Chiefs would win this, and that even if they fell behind to start, they'd catch up and win. Why? Mahomes.

I do like how the NFL is giving 7.500 front line health care workers free tickets to the game. Hopefully, a good many will be rooting for the Chiefs!
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:40 AM 01-25-2021
Great read George,

I felt the same redemption as I flew to Buffalo for what was the worst game ever in the worst stadium.

I watched the rerun of that game only by having NFL Network on in background. It was hard to watch. The picture of Carl Peterson should have been cut.

Your write up and being able to watch this game over and over will only be topped by the Chiefs beating Brady into retirement by winning the Super Bowl in 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:41 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
It's going to be hard to listen to all the Brady Fellatio by the National Press the next two weeks, but it is what it is.
On the flipside, they have to listen to all the Mahomes fellatio for two weeks.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:56 AM 01-25-2021
George excellent write up as always. I could not agree more with statement 10 (I thought we would never get rid of King Carl)and statement 1 REVENGE. So very proud of this team and the back to back Super Bowl appearances! I thought these days would never come - they are here! :-)
[Reply]
notorious 08:01 AM 01-25-2021
One more, GB. ONE MORE.
[Reply]
Spott 08:14 AM 01-25-2021
Great job George. It’s been a long time waiting to get back at these guys.
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:23 AM 01-25-2021
You are a treasure on this site, George. Your 10 Things are a must read after every game and the game never really seems fully wrapped until I have the chance to get your insight.

What an awesome game! I thought we might have a fight on our hands with the rising Bills but at no point was I worried about the outcome. Oh, how far Andy, Patrick, and the rest of the gang have brought us!
[Reply]
bevischief 08:26 AM 01-25-2021
Thanks again.
[Reply]
redfan 08:54 AM 01-25-2021
Thank you gbf, and I look forward to one more ten more things.
I was actually concerned when they missed the XP, because the Chiefs seem to need a double digit deficit to overcome.

9-0 don't matter
10-0 don't matter
17-0 don't matter
24-0 don't matter

Is that stat right? Only one punt for Chiefs thus far in 2 playoff games? Amazing.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up