ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>RAM Latency: C15 vs. C16 fir Intel chip. Do you think it matters in gaming?
vailpass 04:46 PM 01-03-2021
After doing some research on the inter webs my understanding at the moment is there will not be an appreciable difference in gaming performance between RAM with a latency of C15 and C16, especially since I’m using Intel as listed below.

Do any of you confirm or deny this? Do you have any likes/dislikes/preferences regarding RAM?

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 CAS 16
i7 10700
RTX 3080 if they ever start selling them again
[Reply]
Fish 05:03 PM 01-03-2021
Nah, your games aren't going to care what your RAM latency is. You wouldn't notice any difference in gaming. The more important factor is the speed frequency. 3200 is fine, but usually you can find 3400 or 3600 for the same price.

You don't want to mix up your CAS latency in your different RAM modules though. If you go with C15, all RAM modules should have identical C numbers. You probably know that, but I thought I should mention it.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:38 PM 01-03-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Nah, your games aren't going to care what your RAM latency is. You wouldn't notice any difference in gaming. The more important factor is the speed frequency. 3200 is fine, but usually you can find 3400 or 3600 for the same price.

You don't want to mix up your CAS latency in your different RAM modules though. If you go with C15, all RAM modules should have identical C numbers. You probably know that, but I thought I should mention it.
Thanks. I looked at the formula for CAS and frequency and didn't see a marked difference between 3200 and 3600 at the same CAS. At the time though there wasn't any 3600 32gb available anywhere, now NewEgg has some in stock so I may move up to 3600.

This is the crap that happens when you have all this down time while waiting for the damn cards to come back in stock. You start looking at all the other components you bought and rethinking them. Ugh.
[Reply]
Fish 07:04 PM 01-03-2021
Well, to be honest you're not really going to notice the difference between 3200 and 3600 speed within gameplay either. Even though 3600 is going to run faster. I just mention it because they're usually about the same price.

RAM isn't really used much during gaming. Your GPU is doing the overwhelming majority of the work. If you run some kind of system monitor, you'll notice that your average game rarely even touches your RAM. When the GPU has all that awesome vRAM sitting there, it doesn't have much use for regular old RAM.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:54 PM 01-03-2021
Games do care what latency is in benchmarks. Real life it aint gonna matter for 2 fps.

c15 3200 ius faster than say.. c18 3600.

Dont spend extra money for 1fps, get the fastest speed for value, prob c18 3600.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 03:43 PM 01-04-2021
I've been building PC's and oc'ing for about 15 years, and the only time I've actually witnessed RAM timings matter was with original DDR 1T vs 2T settings. Other than that, I've found ram timings to be a huge waste of time other than making sure the BIOS matches exactly what's written on the side of the memory stick.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:01 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
I've been building PC's and oc'ing for about 15 years, and the only time I've actually witnessed RAM timings matter was with original DDR 1T vs 2T settings. Other than that, I've found ram timings to be a huge waste of time other than making sure the BIOS matches exactly what's written on the side of the memory stick.
Thanks for the confirmation. Any thoughts on which AIO systems care good? Corsair?
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 01:09 AM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks for the confirmation. Any thoughts on which AIO systems care good? Corsair?
I haven’t kept up on AIO. I have a Corsair two 120mm rad which can handle 135watt cpu well. If you can get a radiator to accommodate three fans I would.
[Reply]
hometeam 10:41 AM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Almost all AIOs are made by one company and rebranded, asetek.

Brands to go with could be corsair, nzxt, coolermaster, thermaltake, phanteks, etc

just find the one with the right look and right radiator size and go.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:03 PM 01-18-2021
Little off topic but I have a ryzen cpu with ram that is supposed to be 3200 but for the life of me I can not get it to that speed and to still be stable. I feel like I just got a bad stick or something.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:35 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
I haven’t kept up on AIO. I have a Corsair two 120mm rad which can handle 135watt cpu well. If you can get a radiator to accommodate three fans I would.
Thanks.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:36 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
Almost all AIOs are made by one company and rebranded, asetek.

Brands to go with could be corsair, nzxt, coolermaster, thermaltake, phanteks, etc

just find the one with the right look and right radiator size and go.
Thanks. I went with a Corsair 280.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:38 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Little off topic but I have a ryzen cpu with ram that is supposed to be 3200 but for the life of me I can not get it to that speed and to still be stable. I feel like I just got a bad stick or something.
Did you adjust xmp in the bios?
[Reply]
Fish 09:47 PM 01-19-2021
What do you mean when you say you can't get it at that speed and be stable? What type of unstability are you talking about? Are you setting it to 3200 in the BIOS?
[Reply]
hometeam 07:42 AM 01-20-2021
depending on the ryzen CPU, mobo, and what ram kit you have you might not be able to get it staable.

Try giving it the tiniest amount of voltage
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up