ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 26
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:34 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Pantera>Megadeth>Metallica
For me, Megadeth and Pantera are close. As I mentioned before, "Rust in Peace" specifically is one of my absolute favorite albums ever.

They're both better than Metallica, though.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:53 PM 01-31-2014
I'll take COC over Pantera eight days a week.

Pick a song, any song, these guys should've been waaay bigger than they were...

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:10 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
For me, Megadeth and Pantera are close. As I mentioned before, "Rust in Peace" specifically is one of my absolute favorite albums ever.

They're both better than Metallica, though.
I was just joking, but I like them all. Metallica is probably my favorite overall. Megadeth had some great stuff there in the early 90s.

Lars was on Reddit the other day and said him and Mustaine were pretty friendly nowadays.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Gadzooks 05:17 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
I'll take COC over Pantera eight days a week.

Pick a song, any song, these guys should've been waaay bigger than they were...
I agree, they should have but they started as more of a harcore punk band in the early '80s. It was too confusing for the record label. If you wore the below logo you were more likely to have a mohawk than be a long hair.

I think this is part of what ruined their career.

Oddly enough Pantera started as a glam metal outfit. Fortunately for them nobody knew about it until they hit it big.

Sad for C.O.C....
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:20 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
I

Oddly enough Pantera started as a glam metal outfit..
I don't even think I've ever heard any of their glam metal music? Probably for the best.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:24 PM 01-31-2014
Gadzooks, you definitely know the deal... COC was pure punk early on, I love punk but I actually liked their music better when they went to that dirty blues groove.

And yes :-) there are some hilarious shots of early Pantera out there, waaay worse than what you posted... that's why I used to laugh when I would read some interview back in the day where one of them would slam a glam group.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:59 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
COC was pure punk early on, I love punk but I actually liked their music better when they went to that dirty blues groove.
Me too.

Not sure if you've seen this clip where Pepper Keenan bows out of the race as Metallica's new bass player.

Les Claypool auditioned after Clifford Lee Burton died as well.

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:32 PM 01-31-2014
Have never seen either of those, very enlightening, particularly Claypool lol... James said I was "too good", that was just a nice way of saying I'm a weirdo.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:45 PM 01-31-2014
Check this out. Here's an example of Friedman's fusion of the blues, jazz, and Japanese music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WQuT5rTxA
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:50 PM 01-31-2014
And here's a live performance of one of the most awesome tunes on "Dragon's Kiss".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0EsXxv_c0
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:59 PM 01-31-2014
And finally, the best song on the album. The reason why he was a perfect fit for Megadeth. He brought something that transcended metal. Yes, I'm a BIG fan. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMNmAX6kZU
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:12 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Check this out. Here's an example of Friedman's fusion of the blues, jazz, and Japanese music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WQuT5rTxA
Damn man, damn... that was beautiful, just beautiful... I'm ready to go get hammered on a sunny beach now.

That was way too short.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 09:57 PM 01-31-2014
My buddy once provided a compelling argument that Metallica had ripped off their "sound" from "Death" (an Orlando FL based heavy metal band headed by Chuck Schuldiner).
He played songs from their "best of" album and compared them to pieces by Metallica released soon after.
I was convinced...
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:33 PM 01-31-2014
Pantera is garbage. Somebody fix this thread.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 10:48 PM 01-31-2014
Everything is garbage from a certain perspective.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 26
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up