ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 37 of 207
« First < 273334353637 383940414787137 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
Bewbies 11:48 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by RobBlake:
how does one begin to taste what type of bourbon they enjoy? I imagine there's quite a bit of selection. I love to drink, just not very much in the know.
Try a lot. You'll learn what you like pretty quick.

There's a lot of good advice in threads like this too.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 12:22 AM 12-16-2016
Bourbon falls mainly into two categories, rye heavy and wheat heavy. All bourbon has to be at least 51% corn, so that part doesn't change much. (You can find some with a much higher percentage though.) Rye heavy bourbons (and straight up rye whiskeys) tend to have a spicier note to them. Those with more wheat (and wheat whiskeys like Bernheim) are sweeter and lighter.

You can generally find out what the mash bill is from the distillers. Some make it a big secret, but not all. I would suggest finding one with a high rye % and one with a high wheat %. See what your palate prefers. It could be both if your wallet is really unlucky.

Then you can play around with cask strength bottles, like the Booker's that lewdog posted or a Stagg Jr.

The last thing I'll say, and if you've read this thread at all you've seen it multiple times, is price does not equal quality. I enjoy the hell out of Four Roses, Bulleit, and Elijah Craig Small Batch and they are a fraction of the price of many others.
[Reply]
KCTitus 12:05 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Was shopping today and saw something called bourbon balls. They are metal balls you chill and then put in your drink to keep it cold. Thought about buying it but I generally like to chew on the ice.
I have found a couple of ice cubes in a 4-6oz pour does the trick...I find as the ice melts, it opens the bourbon up a bit.
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 03:52 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Bourbon falls mainly into two categories, rye heavy and wheat heavy. All bourbon has to be at least 51% corn, so that part doesn't change much. (You can find some with a much higher percentage though.) Rye heavy bourbons (and straight up rye whiskeys) tend to have a spicier note to them. Those with more wheat (and wheat whiskeys like Bernheim) are sweeter and lighter.

You can generally find out what the mash bill is from the distillers. Some make it a big secret, but not all. I would suggest finding one with a high rye % and one with a high wheat %. See what your palate prefers. It could be both if your wallet is really unlucky.

Then you can play around with cask strength bottles, like the Booker's that lewdog posted or a Stagg Jr.

The last thing I'll say, and if you've read this thread at all you've seen it multiple times, is price does not equal quality. I enjoy the hell out of Four Roses, Bulleit, and Elijah Craig Small Batch and they are a fraction of the price of many others.
Hmmm... thanks for the info. When I was growing up... (yah, you care).. Rye whiskey was rye whiskey and Bourbon was Bourbon and Scotch was Scotch... So, what is Scotch made from? Barley. What is Bourbon's main ingredient? Corn. What is Rye Whiskey made from? Rye.

Anyhoo... corn is everywhere and cheap and many blended whiskeys are made primarily from corn. One name I'll drop is a Canadian staple called Crown Royal. CR is a blended Canadian whiskey. Here's the deal about Canadian whiskeys0--they are ALL BLENDED. There primary ingredient is something called CORN.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:01 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:

Agreed with all. I love 4 roses single barrel. Another fairly cheap bottle I recommend is Russell Reserve 10 year. Have you had that? That along with 4 roses are my favorite without breaking the bank. Wanna spend a bit more, I definitely recommend Bulleit 10 year.

Originally Posted by KCTitus:
I have found a couple of ice cubes in a 4-6oz pour does the trick...I find as the ice melts, it opens the bourbon up a bit.
For some that is definitely true and as I say, drink it how you like! Some people just prefer drinks cold and that's fine. If I try something that has a note that I don't particularly care for, cutting it with ice letting it melt for 5 minutes usually does the trick. I just bough a tray to make large square ice cubes. I do usually drink neat this time of year though. In summer here it seems to taste better with some ice.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 06:51 PM 12-16-2016
One of the most unique whiskey's you will ever try: High West's Silver.

http://www.highwest.com/products/sil...estern-oat.php

An un-aged oat whiskey (akin to a blanco tequila) with a mash bill containing 85% oats and 15% barley malt. A very unique and incredibly smooth whiskey.

How to Enjoy

High West Silver Whiskey® is remarkably versatile. Neat, on the rocks, in a classic cocktail, or wherever you'd use another "clear" spirit. Try an Old Fashioned-Old Fashioned, a Clementine, or a Silver Manhattan.

The Name

It is a smooth oat based whiskey that has just seen the inside of a barrel, with an elegant, smooth flavor. We use the best ingredients and exact science to distill the elegance from the grain and separate those awful flavors you can get in other white whiskies. Tequila and rum both have their Blanco and anejo, why can't whiskey? All spirits are born clear and turn brown after aging in a barrel. High West SILVER™ spent all of 5 minutes in a barrel to minimize the barrel's influence on the taste of the native spirit. We call ours SILVER™ because we distill it in old town Park City, one of the west's richest silver mining towns.

[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:55 PM 12-16-2016
Shit weather means good night for drinking. Think I'll do Crown Vanilla again how bout you fellas?
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 07:02 PM 12-16-2016
Get the fireplace going, maybe pop a new bottle of Jameson...

I know it's common, but with a liquor store in a town of 1000, you make do.

Maybe do some Famous Grouse instead. Or see if the store still has 2 Gingers.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:10 PM 12-16-2016
Neat! Been addicted to Bullet and Knob Creek lately.

Need to get some Stagg jr again.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:11 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
Get the fireplace going, maybe pop a new bottle of Jameson...

I know it's common, but with a liquor store in a town of 1000, you make do.

Maybe do some Famous Grouse instead. Or see if the store still has 2 Gingers.
Nothing wrong with Jameson's!
[Reply]
VAChief 07:19 PM 12-16-2016
Cold tonight... uncorking the Booker's.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 07:20 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Nothing wrong with Jameson's!
Got a new liquor store the next town over. Here, your only Irish Whiskey options are Jameson and Tullamore Dew, sometimes Bushmills.

There, they have stuff like 2 Gingers, Hell cat Maggie, Jameson Caskmates, etc.

Also, that one bourbon with the tin can on top, but that just brings back bad, hazy memories.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:25 PM 12-16-2016
Neat! Been addicted to Bullet and Knob Creek lately.

Need to get some Stagg jr again.
Which Knob Creek?
[Reply]
penguinz 07:27 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Which Knob Creek?
Just the small batch 100 proof.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:28 PM 12-16-2016
Just the small batch 100 proof.
Same bottle I have here. :-)