ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 383 of 460
« First < 283333373379380381382383 384385386387393433 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
BWillie 04:50 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
When I lived up north I could play with temps in the 42 to 46 degree range if there was no wind. The wind is the big killer, my eyes would water and I couldn't see the ball clearly enough to make good contact. It's a calm day and 45 degrees, get a pair of Weather Soft gloves by Footjoy for about $20 and they really help. I didn't think I could golf with gloves on both hands, but I found it was no problem and I even use an interlocking grip. Now I'm spoiled, I golfed last Saturday and it was 70 degrees and I wore a long sleeve Under Armor top under my golf shirt. I shot really a good round, 2 birdies, 3 pars and 4 bogies for a 38. Couldn't play a back nine, it got too dark.

Nice! Going to pick up some of these this weekend. Next is finding courses actually open when it's 45 degrees and who actually have carts so I can use a cart heater thing.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 05:24 PM 12-14-2020
I golfed a lot and in cold weather a lot when I was younger... then I got older, and decided to no longer golf in the rain or cold... The older I got, the less fun it became. I am in my early 50's, however and I see some retired guys playing on some less than fair weather days when driving by the course. Maybe they just need out of the house.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:34 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I golfed a lot and in cold weather a lot when I was younger... then I got older, and decided to no longer golf in the rain or cold... The older I got, the less fun it became. I am in my early 50's, however and I see some retired guys playing on some less than fair weather days when driving by the course. Maybe they just need out of the house.
My dad has golf in zero celcius weather in late October up here , he isn’t bored he is just an crazy.
[Reply]
srvy 05:39 PM 12-14-2020
I dont consider 42 to 46 degrees to be winter golf. You can play early spring in that weather without polypropylene longjohns and gloves. I have played winter golf that didn't reach the 30s till midday and wind chills near 0. Many of the old public courses will open as long as the snow is melted from fairways and no frost on greens. Frozen greens didn't seem a problem. Courses we frequented was Excelsior Springs, Hodge, Minor Park, The Pose, Shirkey. Longview I think its called Fred Arbanas now. Oh and Windbrook which is the property the National sets on. There are more I'm sure this was 80's thru early 2000's. Claycrest, River Oaks, Tomahawk Hills though they were a bit picky on that cowpasture.
[Reply]
srvy 05:45 PM 12-14-2020
Dubs Dred it was cowpastury back then I think its gone through a big renovation now. Swope Memorial has winter golf though they were particular and still took tee times as it seemed they always delayed start time creating a cluster fuck when they released play.
[Reply]
srvy 05:49 PM 12-14-2020
Sunflower

Tom Watson has told stories of he and his father golfing when it was zero in KC Xmas day.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:42 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Sunflower

Tom Watson has told stories of he and his father golfing when it was zero in KC Xmas day.
What an insane golf nut.
[Reply]
srvy 07:57 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
What an insane golf nut.
I betcha if you drove to a nearby golf course today you would have seen golfers out.

When you were a kid did you not play sandlot football in driving snow in sweatpants and hoody? They would get soaked wet then freeze. Hell then you got up the next day after the front moved through and it was bitter cold and play all day again?
[Reply]
HayWire 08:09 PM 12-14-2020
Meh, I played Saturday. Cart cover and heater. Just be ready to hit and don't stand over your ball thinking about it
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:19 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
My dad has golf in zero celcius weather in late October up here , he isn’t bored he is just an crazy.
That is crazy... I've played in a few snow tournaments with a 4 man team that were fun, but just to play in that weather, you have to be a little crazy...
[Reply]
BWillie 09:56 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
I betcha if you drove to a nearby golf course today you would have seen golfers out.

When you were a kid did you not play sandlot football in driving snow in sweatpants and hoody? They would get soaked wet then freeze. Hell then you got up the next day after the front moved through and it was bitter cold and play all day again?
Nope but in the state golf tournament in high school it snowed. Coldest Ive ever played. Golf was a fall sport for big schools in Iowa so it was always mid to end of October in Iowa. We had hand warmers and everything and my god was it tough. The kid who won only shot 72-79--151. Usually 135 to 140 wins.
[Reply]
scho63 10:19 AM 12-15-2020
Nothing as fun as skulling a 4 iron in 20 degree weather. :-)

I can still remember that horrid feeling that lasted another 6-7 holes.

Also it's great watching a golf ball break in half when it's too cold. :-)
[Reply]
srvy 12:53 PM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
Nothing as fun as skulling a 4 iron in 20 degree weather. :-)

I can still remember that horrid feeling that lasted another 6-7 holes.

Also it's great watching a golf ball break in half when it's too cold. :-)
I've split the cover on a wound balata never had a 2 piece split in half though. For winter golf I always bought that cheapest ball could find that felt ok. Pro Staff fit that bill and you could get fluorescent orange or yellow if snow along the shady parts of the course was still down.

I think all my years working in the weather made me less sensitive to the elements. I spent 4 years as a survey instrument man before became a party chief standing in open fields on a hill in wind and air temps near zero wind chills well below. Those were some cold days dialing in the micrometer on a theodolite which couldn't be done accurately in heavy gloves. The party chief and rod and chainman were able to stay warm moving the guy behind the eyepiece was a standing still popcicle.
[Reply]
philfree 09:19 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
Five to six years ago when I bought my irons I was having a hard time adjusting to the new wedges. I ended up using my old PW and SW for a year but in year two because the faces of my PW and SW from my old set o MP-14s were worn off I switched to using the new ones. I never have been able to adjust and it's killed my short game. So now I've ordered a new SW. I'm reverting back to my youth when I was a Hogan guy. Hogan has been down since then but I think they've made a small comeback. I ordered one of the new Equalizer SWs with 56* loft. I can't wait to get it. I also sent them a message asking if I could order just the PW that comes with the set of ICON irons. Back in the day that was the original Equalizer. When I was young I could do a lot with my Equalizer. It was a great utility club. I never needed a third wedge. That just seemed silly to me. I tried the three wedge thing and just ended up with three wedges I couldn't use. Hopefully I can get the PW from the ICONs and it will be like the old Equalizer. Then maybe I can get my short game back. I loved those old Hogan Apex irons from back in the day. The persimmon headed woods were awesome too. And beautiful!
I got an email saying they have starting building my Equalizer so it's in the process. I also received and email telling me the two Vokey wedges I ordered are being shipped. I couldn't help myself so I ordered two of those as well as the Hogan Equalizer. I also purchased a couple new Odyssey putters off the Callaway Used club site. They're "Like New" basically new putters for about $100.00 less then what would be a new putter would be.

I'd also like to get a new driver but I can't find a new driver that doesn't adjust. Right now I use a Taylormade Aeroburner and I like it but I can't help but think after more than five years the newer clubs should hit it further. All the new drivers adjust though and being old school I don't want no adjustable driver. And besides that my massive amount of clubhead speed will just cause the head to break off.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:33 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
I got an email saying they have starting building my Equalizer so it's in the process. I also received and email telling me the two Vokey wedges I ordered are being shipped. I couldn't help myself so I ordered two of those as well as the Hogan Equalizer. I also purchased a couple new Odyssey putters off the Callaway Used club site. They're "Like New" basically new putters for about $100.00 less then what would be a new putter would be.

I'd also like to get a new driver but I can't find a new driver that doesn't adjust. Right now I use a Taylormade Aeroburner and I like it but I can't help but think after more than five years the newer clubs should hit it further. All the new drivers adjust though and being old school I don't want no adjustable driver. And besides that my massive amount of clubhead speed will just cause the head to break off.
I have a theory that almost all golf technology has been capped or maxed up to USGA rules as of 2005. I can kind of see it on drivers as it seems like USGA has reduced the COR guidelines and some other things related to drivers but on irons, wedges I hit 2000 year clubs just as well as 2020 clubs. But club manufacturers need to make money so they come out with something new every year, just because.
[Reply]
Page 383 of 460
« First < 283333373379380381382383 384385386387393433 > Last »
Up