ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 33
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Alex Okafor [restructured]
ShowtimeSBMVP 03:15 PM 03-14-2019

The #Chiefs are expected to sign former #Saints DE Alex Okafor, source said. He gets a 3-year deal worth up to $24M.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2019

[Reply]
YontsRBake 10:20 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
We cut the big 3. End up with honey badger, okafor, wilson, quartey jones. For $15M, we likely end up with 1-2 more starters. Of that list, 5-6 will likely start.
Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

I'm still missing when this model has ever worked for other teams that don't have the GOAT coach.
[Reply]
YontsRBake 10:24 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Yes please ignore the star safety, the 2nd round draft pick, the depth OLB, HB, S, and the fact that we still have 15m+ left to delegate towards another big signing.
Calling honey badger a star safety is a lil much bro. I liked the signing also but lets not get carried away here. I highly doubt were getting 2015 Tyrann Mathieu.

The 2nd round pick will be great in 2020. However, I would like to win now while we have the absolute chance window and the Browns and Colts have not caught up to us yet.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:26 PM 03-14-2019
Honestly, I had never heard of him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:26 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by YontsRBake:
Calling honey badger a star safety is a lil much bro. I liked the signing also but lets not get carried away here. I highly doubt were getting 2015 Tyrann Mathieu.

The 2nd round pick will be great in 2020. However, I would like to win now while we have the absolute chance window and the Browns and Colts have not caught up to us yet.
What's keeping them from winning now? Houston has been hurt several times in the past few years. So has Ford. You know what would REALLY keep them from winning now?

Keeping those guys at $15M each and then losing them to injury.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Verrett is coming off a torn Achilles he had during training camp.

Darby is coming off a torn ACL from 5 fucking months ago.

There's absolutely a reason to question if Darby can even pass a fucking physical lol.
If Darby can't pass a physical, they won't sign him. :-)
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:27 PM 03-14-2019

At 6-foot-4 & 260 pounds, Alex Okafor fits the type of edge rusher Steve Spagnuolo wants in his scheme.

The Chiefs, unlike last year, are going to be using more stunts with players such as Okafor next to Chris Jones. Okafor had 4 sacks 9 QB hits last season.

— Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) March 14, 2019

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:28 PM 03-14-2019
Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

I'm still missing when this model has ever worked for other teams that don't have the GOAT coach.
Well, we're going to win with offense. Our defense just needs to be good enough.

And the Chiefs aren't bringing in guys like Okafor to replace Ford. They're bringing them in to be 2-3 year stopgaps until they draft a replacement. Lots of defenses build through the draft, but it's going to take a few years for the Chiefs to do that. Notice how all our free agent pickups are on 2-3 year contracts with very easy bailouts. Look at how we built our defense originally. We started out with guys like Sean Smith and Devito and Vance Walker, but clearly Dorsey was drafting to replace those guys as quickly as possible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Could have signed him by releasing Berry.
Berry only produces $1.5M worth of savings now. They don't get the rest until June 1.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:30 PM 03-14-2019
I'm with you. I would much rather have one outstanding player, than 3 average to below average players. I don't understand this quantity over quality mindset at all, it's not how you build a championship winning team. We were bad on defense with these players before because we had one of the worst DCs in the NFL, the answer is not to gut the defense of talent and replace it with a higher quantity of lesser talented players for the same amount of money.
Dee Ford isn't an "outstanding" player. That's the problem. He had one "outstanding" season, one good season, and a whole lot of NOTHING the rest of his career. He has chronic back problems and has discs removed from his spine.

He's not an outstanding player. And he's certainly not worth an outstanding price tag.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:30 PM 03-14-2019
It's 11:30pm and Dee Ford is still gone. :-)
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:32 PM 03-14-2019
Okafor ranked in PFF top 30 DE last year
[Reply]
YontsRBake 10:32 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
What's keeping them from winning now? Houston has been hurt several times in the past few years. So has Ford. You know what would REALLY keep them from winning now?

Keeping those guys at $15M each and then losing them to injury.
Do you really think we have a better chance of winning in 2019 with Okafor and whatever CB we sign instead of Ford or Houston?

I already know what your answer is going to be but any unbiased observer of the NFL is going to say the latter gives us the greater chance.

I still don't know how tf were going to create pressure of the edges this season, a rookie taken in the late 20s almost never produce heavily as pass rushers in their rookie seasons and Okafor definitely isn't the guy to get it done.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 PM 03-14-2019
Do you really think we have a better chance of winning in 2019 with Okafor and whatever CB we sign instead of Ford or Houston?
Do you really think Dee Ford is going to repeat his 2018 performance? He's more likely to get hurt than repeat 2018. The most probable outcome is that he just isn't as good as he was last year and eats up $16M of the cap, preventing the Chiefs from getting other necessary pieces.

And for the record, the defense was AWFUL last year. Dee Ford and Justin Houston were invisible in the AFCCG and they were 6 inches away from going to the Super Bowl. If you think Dee Ford is the magical piece to get them to the Super Bowl, you're freaking fooling yourself.

Have you completely forgotten that the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes? You're making a big deal out of literally nothing. Dee Ford doesn't matter. Justin Houston doesn't matter. The defense is going to be better next year without them.

I still don't know how tf were going to create pressure of the edges this season, a rookie taken in the late 20s almost never produce heavily as pass rushers in their rookie seasons and Okafor definitely isn't the guy to get it done.
They're going to generate pressure off the edge with scheme. How many times do people have to tell you that before it sinks in?
[Reply]
Iconic 10:42 PM 03-14-2019
If Darby can't pass a physical, they won't sign him. :-)
Yeah that's my point and why it's retarded to sit and laugh at the inclination of signing Verrett.

Chiefs are having difficulty figuring out if Darby will be ready for training camp but taking a 1.4m flyer on a past all-pro as insurance isn't interesting for some people :-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:43 PM 03-14-2019
Dee Ford isn't an "outstanding" player. That's the problem. He had one "outstanding" season, one good season, and a whole lot of NOTHING the rest of his career. He has chronic back problems and has discs removed from his spine.

He's not an outstanding player. And he's certainly not worth an outstanding price tag.
People complained about Matt Cassel less than you have cried about Dee Ford. Every thread, every day, non-stop. That franchise tag really pulled your trigger I guess. :-)
[Reply]
Page 22 of 33
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up