ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 149
« First < 678910 111213142060110 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
Wilson8 01:20 PM 02-18-2020
Brock Holt signs with the Brewers. https://www.mlb.com/news/brock-holt-deal-brewers

He seemed like a signing that Dayton would want.

Nothing against Brock Holt, but I prefer to see our current players play.
[Reply]
RockChalk 01:25 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
Brock Holt signs with the Brewers. https://www.mlb.com/news/brock-holt-deal-brewers

He seemed like a signing that Dayton would want.

Nothing against Brock Holt, but I prefer to see our current players play.
When I saw a bottom line scroll last night during the KU game that started as "Brock Holt signs...", I was almost certain that it was going to say "...with the Royals"

Still holding out hope for Dayton to sign some retread at the end of camp to play first base, rather than let us see O'Hearn/McBroom or whomever for a full season. [sarcasm]

I can almost feel that Mark Reynolds/Steve Pearce signing any day now.
[Reply]
Wilson8 01:36 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
I can almost feel that Mark Reynolds/Steve Pearce signing any day now.
I had hoped for a free agent pitcher, but that market has about dried up.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:29 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
No it’s not. 64.5:
https://www.thelines.com/betting/mlb/win-totals/

Steamer has us about 70 and ZiPS 71 (my rough calcs). So no, 59.5 isn’t real.

Fangraphs “Depth Charts” says 71 and Prospectus says 67.8 as per their 2/11 release. So the dude who said Vegas called 59 wins lied.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:09 PM 02-19-2020
Duncan's Top Prospects for 2020

Well, here it is. I'll switch into baseball mode, reluctantly, after the high of the Chiefs getting to the mountain top.

The Royals farm system is slowly building back up to the state it needs to be in. Good drafts in 2018 and 2019 (some might say a GREAT draft in 2018) have the system loading up. With a strong 2020 draft (more on that in a bit) and solid progression from current crop of farmhands, KC is primed to be back in top 10s-ville (rather than the mid-range current ranking) by this time next year.

Let's get to it.

Top 5
Spoiler!

6-10
Spoiler!

11-20
Spoiler!

2020 Draft Thoughts
The Royals again have a strong draft pool to work with in 2020, with 4 picks in the top 77 (4, 32, 41, 77) and will have the money to be creative and aggressive. At 4th overall, KC is probably out of range for the top college bat, Spencer Torkelson (Arizona State 1B/OF) who basically is Andrew Vaughn - but with better raw power and the ability to 'play' LF. This draft is deep in college arms (Emerson Hancock, Asa Lacy, Garrett Crochet), but there will be intriguing college bats (Vandy SS Austin Martin, UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell) available, too.

It's regarded as a pretty strong draft right now, so it's a good year to have picks and add premium upside to a system on the rise. The big target for me would be impact bats. KC's minor league system has good pitching depth. You always take the best guy on your board, but looking at KC's system, I'd take a bat over a similarly ranked pitcher this year (unless Hancock is there. If he is, they can't let him slip).
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 01:27 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Duncan's Top Prospects for 2020

Well, here it is. I'll switch into baseball mode, reluctantly, after the high of the Chiefs getting to the mountain top.

The Royals farm system is slowly building back up to the state it needs to be in. Good drafts in 2018 and 2019 (some might say a GREAT draft in 2018) have the system loading up. With a strong 2020 draft (more on that in a bit) and solid progression from current crop of farmhands, KC is primed to be back in top 10s-ville (rather than the mid-range current ranking) by this time next year.

Let's get to it.

Top 5
Spoiler!

6-10
Spoiler!

11-20
Spoiler!

2020 Draft Thoughts
The Royals again have a strong draft pool to work with in 2020, with 4 picks in the top 77 (4, 32, 41, 77) and will have the money to be creative and aggressive. At 4th overall, KC is probably out of range for the top college bat, Spencer Torkelson (Arizona State 1B/OF) who basically is Andrew Vaughn - but with better raw power and the ability to 'play' LF. This draft is deep in college arms (Emerson Hancock, Asa Lacy, Garrett Crochet), but there will be intriguing college bats (Vandy SS Austin Martin, UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell) available, too.

It's regarded as a pretty strong draft right now, so it's a good year to have picks and add premium upside to a system on the rise. The big target for me would be impact bats. KC's minor league system has good pitching depth. You always take the best guy on your board, but looking at KC's system, I'd take a bat over a similarly ranked pitcher this year (unless Hancock is there. If he is, they can't let him slip).
Great recap Duncan as always. What about Jonathan Bowlan? I thought he progressed really well last year...
[Reply]
Mecca 01:29 PM 02-19-2020
I was going to add to his breakdown but he already did one. I think Carlos Hernandez and Evan Steele are bullpen guys. They are old for their levels and need to advance quickly after injury problems, they scream pen arms. Now they could both be dominant in those roles though.

Until I see it I think Brady Singer ends up as a closer because without a true secondary pitch he's going to struggle to start.

Duncan also left 1 name off the list I think could stick at the major league level, Jonathan Bowlen, dude is like 6'6 with good velocity and command.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:55 PM 02-19-2020
I also wanted to add this, the Royals aren't exactly awesome at thinking outside the box when it comes to adding players. This offseason presented them with some interesting ideas on how to do things and they passed on all of them...the Angels literally gave away their 1st round pick to have Zack Cozarts contract taken, the Padres would give prospects to take Wil Myers...

You also have an offseason 3rd base market that was a bunch of teams battling for a few guys, the Royals should have gauged the interest in Dozier right there, he's older than people think and he has some wild splits and injury history that make him a good sell candidate.

If the Royals are going to try to restock this way they are going to need a lot more good draft picks as there isn't enough depth in general right now for this to work. Cause to be real half those pitchers are going to flame out, that's just how it works.

I guess in short I don't have a lot of real trust in Dayton Moore to make the right moves because he brought all these guys in so he has relationships and attachment to them. Stuff like this is why it's easier for an outsider to come in and tear it down to win as opposed to a guy that was already here.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:13 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:

[Reply]
Mecca 02:15 PM 02-19-2020
Does anyone think if we had hired a new GM Zimmer or Starling would be here? He's keeping them around cause he wasted high picks on them and won't cut bait...that's the shit I mean when I say guys have attachment and it's harder to rebuild with the guy who picked all these guys.
[Reply]
DeepSouth 02:17 PM 02-19-2020
The link shows the opening day roster for 2019;

https://www.royalsreview.com/2019/3/...ing-day-roster

The Royals should be a better team because these players are no longer on the team;
Lucas Duda
Chris Owings
Frank Schwindel
Terrance Gore
Billy Hamilton
Jake Diekman
Wily Peralta

There is some bad baseball right there.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:18 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DeepSouth:
The link shows the opening day roster for 2019;

https://www.royalsreview.com/2019/3/...ing-day-roster

The Royals should be a better team because these players are no longer on the team;
Lucas Duda
Chris Owings
Frank Schwindel
Terrance Gore
Billy Hamilton
Jake Diekman
Wily Peralta

There is some bad baseball right there.
They're replacements aren't better.....this team signed Trevor Rosenthal and Greg Holland between them they might have a half a healthy arm.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:22 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by AJKCFAN:
Great recap Duncan as always. What about Jonathan Bowlan? I thought he progressed really well last year...

He’d be the next guy on my list. I’ve watched some video on him and don’t think he has the secondary pitches to make it work in the rotation. It’s a fastball command-driven profile, and those are tough.
[Reply]
DeepSouth 02:22 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
They're replacements aren't better.....this team signed Trevor Rosenthal and Greg Holland between them they might have a half a healthy arm.
You must not remember Chris Owens starting every day at 2nd and Wily Peralta blowing saves. I know you are not very optimistic about this team but I think they have the potential to win 10 - 15 more games than last year.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:24 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
He’d be the next guy on my list. I’ve watched some video on him and don’t think he has the secondary pitches to make it work in the rotation. It’s a fastball command-driven profile, and those are tough.
You know what guy I see people rate decently that I don't get....Brewer Hicklen, I've seen video etc I just don't get how I can legit read some people think he can start in the MLB, blows my mind.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 149
« First < 678910 111213142060110 > Last »
Up