ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFLPA director: likelihood of a strike/lockout in 2021 "almost a virtual certainty"
oaklandhater 06:13 PM 08-17-2017
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...n-near-future/

It's been over six years since the NFL had to deal with a work stoppage of any sort, and unfortunately for the league, that's a streak that could be coming to an end soon, according to DeMaurice Smith.

Smith, who serves as the executive director of the NFLPA, believes there's going to be a work stoppage after the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) expires following the 2020 season.

"I think the likelihood of either a strike or a lockout in [2021] is almost a virtual certainty," Smith said this week during an interview with MMQB.com.
The last time the NFL had to cancel games due to a work stoppage came in 1987. This time around, Smith isn't quite sure yet if a work stoppage would lead to any canceled games, but he didn't sound optimistic.

"I don't know. Let's look at our history," Smith said.

The problem with negotiating a new CBA is that it sounds like the players don't really trust the owners right now.

"The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn't want to give the owners an opportunity to opt out and take back the games that we currently have," Smith said. "If there was no renegotiating of the collective bargaining agreement and we reach 2021, there is no uncapped year. The last time we went through it, we found out that the owners lied and cheated about the uncapped year, so why would I do that again?"

The seeds for the 2011 lockout were planted in 2008 when the NFL's 32 owners voted to opt out of a CBA that was supposed to run through 2012. When the league opted out, that meant an early end to the 2006 CBA agreement and left the league with an uncapped salary year in 2010.

According to Smith, the owners "colluded with each other" so that the players wouldn't be able to take advantage of the uncapped year.

"All the mutual benefits that were supposed to happened as result of the opt out didn't happen last time," Smith said. "Owners colluded with each other and we found out that they colluded with each other. All of the bad things that went to the players happened and none of the bad things that went to the owners happened. So we have a new deal that if it doesn't get fixed, you go into a certain Armageddon."

What this all means is that Smith is ready to take the NFLPA to battle with the NFL over the new CBA. The NFLPA is taking the possibility of a work stoppage so seriously that it warned players in May to start saving money.

If a work stoppage does happen, it wouldn't start for at least four more seasons. The current CBA runs through the 2020 season, which means any potential work stoppage wouldn't take place until the 2021 season.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:42 PM 02-19-2020
Sorry, I’m not anywhere near as big of a fan of Sammy Watkins as others here are. He’s ultra talented, but has motivation problems and decides when to turn on his switch and when to just put it on autopilot. After week 1, he kinda disappeared till the playoffs. After winning the Super Bowl, he started talking about taking a year off or sitting out till camp.

I’d rather spend that kind of $ on players that bring max effort every play.

This is the best WR class in quite some time. 55 WRs were invited to the combine. I’d rather use that money on a stud corner or linebacker, TBH.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:44 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
5b / 32 teams = 156,250,000 per team
Over how many years? Thats not per year obviously.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:47 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Over how many years? Thats not per year obviously.
Over another 10 year CBA.

15.625m per year before new TV deals are done, more gambling proceeds hit the bottom line and more games.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:53 PM 02-19-2020
I think they could help teams by expanding the roster to 55 and letting every player dress.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:08 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Sorry, I’m not anywhere near as big of a fan of Sammy Watkins as others here are. He’s ultra talented, but has motivation problems and decides when to turn on his switch and when to just put it on autopilot. After week 1, he kinda disappeared till the playoffs. After winning the Super Bowl, he started talking about taking a year off or sitting out till camp.
I totally get what you’re saying but from my perspective, the Chiefs offense is at its most dangerous when Watkins is healthy and available. It just wasn’t the same without him, IMO.

I’d rather the Chiefs keep him and draft a possible replacement rather than cut ties with him and hope they can find someone that can step in to provide similar value offensively.

Hardman isn’t a Watkins replacement, IMO. The Chiefs would need to hit on a second rounder like Deebo Samuel in order to replace Watkins in this offense, which I suppose isn’t out of the question in the 2020 draft, but is much riskier than continuing to keep Watkins on the roster.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:17 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I totally get what you’re saying but from my perspective, the Chiefs offense is at its most dangerous when Watkins is healthy and available. It just wasn’t the same without him, IMO.

I’d rather the Chiefs keep him and draft a possible replacement rather than cut ties with him and hope they can find someone that can step in to provide similar value offensively.

Hardman isn’t a Watkins replacement, IMO. The Chiefs would need to hit on a second rounder like Deebo Samuel in order to replace Watkins in this offense, which I suppose isn’t out of the question in the 2020 draft, but is much riskier than continuing to keep Watkins on the roster.
I’m on record with a breakdown of why I’d be ok with extending Sammy at the current going rate of his role on the team. 10-11m per with a cap of 12m aav

That’s paying him like Keenan Allen.

I think that’s beyond fair, being that Allen has twice the production.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 10:19 PM 02-19-2020

I don’t know. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in years, maybe EVER, according to some scouts. A lot of guys being taken in the second round may be first rounders in other years. If you can get a first round talent in the second on a rookie deal, that sure looks tempting compared to paying Watkins $12-14 mil. per year. And you could invest that extra money back into Jones (if the Chiefs decide to keep him) or a really good FA CB or an elite LB.

I like Watkins too, but the strategy above may be a smarter play. Plus, as others have said, I question his motivation going forward.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:23 PM 02-19-2020
JFC, is it really necessary to bump a three year old thread to post updated news?

Start a new thread.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:24 PM 02-19-2020
Sammy is a guy that if he gave full effort on every play could be a 1500 yard receiver that score a minimum of 10tds per year.

Go look at his production after week one till the playoffs.

WRs making his kind of Jack don’t disappear for 15 games like that.

I’d love to see this offense with a vet like AJ Green in the WR2 role and Hardman in the slot...and at his age and never having won anything...that’s a real possibility.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:28 PM 02-19-2020
I thoroughly disagree.

In November 2018, I had bi-lateral micro-decompression of my L2/L3, L3/L4 and L4/L5, which is the long way of saying that I had surgery for Spinal Stenosis.

I took Tramadol, which is an extremely potent opoid, for 3 days. Not only was I completely and utterly constipated, and spent 8 hours one night bleeding out my ass due to the effect of the opioid, I was in massive pain.

On Day 4, I flushed the Tramadol down the toilet and began taking 40mg's of edibles, Nugs to be exact, to combat the pain. It was like a miracle drug, I shit you not. I didn't get "high", because the pain was way too intense but I felt SO much better AND after a few days, resumed normal bathroom activities.

I have no idea what it feels like to play in the NFL but it's difficult for me to believe that THC won't help manage their pain.

DaneMcCloud has anal leakage?
[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 11:56 PM 02-19-2020
If they strike, they strike. Big deal. It will end like the others. Players get a little bit ,while the owners lose nothing. Over and over again.
Jocks are a dime a dozen. There's not only 35 great QBS in a land of 300 million.
[Reply]
TimBone 12:03 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
I don’t know. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in years, maybe EVER, according to some scouts. A lot of guys being taken in the second round may be first rounders in other years. If you can get a first round talent in the second on a rookie deal, that sure looks tempting compared to paying Watkins $12-14 mil. per year. And you could invest that extra money back into Jones (if the Chiefs decide to keep him) or a really good FA CB or an elite LB.

I like Watkins too, but the strategy above may be a smarter play. Plus, as others have said, I question his motivation going forward.
Production or not, Sammy has to be accounted for anytime he's on the field. He's got ultra speed with decent size. Like Dan mentioned, the offensive production of the offense goes down when he's out because his presence alone opens up the field for others.

Even if the Chiefs hit on a great receiver in this class, would you want to rely on a rookie coming in and playing consistently in Reid's offense? The Chiefs could realistically win the SB again next year. I wouldnt want to be counting on a rookie coming in to learn Reid's offense and have that same impact year one that Watkins has when he's in the game.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:03 AM 02-20-2020
I thoroughly disagree.

In November 2018, I had bi-lateral micro-decompression of my L2/L3, L3/L4 and L4/L5, which is the long way of saying that I had surgery for Spinal Stenosis.

I took Tramadol, which is an extremely potent opoid, for 3 days. Not only was I completely and utterly constipated, and spent 8 hours one night bleeding out my ass due to the effect of the opioid, I was in massive pain.

On Day 4, I flushed the Tramadol down the toilet and began taking 40mg's of edibles, Nugs to be exact, to combat the pain. It was like a miracle drug, I shit you not. I didn't get "high", because the pain was way too intense but I felt SO much better AND after a few days, resumed normal bathroom activities.

I have no idea what it feels like to play in the NFL but it's difficult for me to believe that THC won't help manage their pain.

1) I'm sorry you had to go through that and I hope you're doing good now

2) I have first hand experience with a loved one that used it to help with pain management and not only was it effective but it allowed her to cut back on the prescription medication, and doing that prolonged her life.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:52 AM 02-20-2020
I thoroughly disagree.

Tramadol is actually one of the least potent pain killers out there. To be constipated after just 3 days on an opioid makes it seem like you are overly sensitive to the effects of it. Tramadol is also synthetic and act like an antidepressant. It's trash.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:47 AM 02-20-2020
I was given Tramadol at 1 point, it did jack and shit for me after surgery...oxycodone just makes me tired. But Pain meds really don't have much affect on me to be honest.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up