ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 181 of 221
« First < 81131171177178179180181 182183184185191 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Sofa King 07:56 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
The chunks of meat behind their eyes is pretty good.
Like round steaks, only fish
sec
Just watched a video on that. I don't catch a lot of big catfish so i didn't really realize people did that. I've heard about "cheek meat" on walleye's etc but I've never messed with it.
[Reply]
seclark 07:59 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Just watched a video on that. I don't catch a lot of big catfish so i didn't really realize people did that. I've heard about "cheek meat" on walleye's etc but I've never messed with it.
Noodle flathead
Just heard about it
sec
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:00 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
Noodle flathead
Just heard about it
sec
I've seen quite a bit on noodling flathead. I know the second I try I'll end up with a handful of snapping turtle.
[Reply]
F150 08:02 PM 02-19-2020
What the hell would you even do with a fish this big?

Anyone ever try pickling them?
Ive pickled Northern Pike but cant think catfish would be as good
[Reply]
seclark 08:11 PM 02-19-2020
I've seen quite a bit on noodling flathead. I know the second I try I'll end up with a handful of snapping turtle.
I got scars on the back of both of my hands and wrists
It’s a rush
sec
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:12 PM 02-19-2020
Bump for my last post's question
It’d take some work, but you could fry it up

Get the mudlines and fat off those giant filets, chop into chunks, soak in your choice of buttermilk, citrus soda, or saltwater overnight... then eat like a king
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:18 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
I thought about it before but how are the mosquitoes? I mean how big do they get?
No mosquitoes. It never got above 58 degrees.
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:19 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I'm guessing you chartered a boat?
Yeah. Captain Jason Shilling at neworleanstylefishingcharters.com

I highly recommend him.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:11 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
It’d take some work, but you could fry it up

Get the mudlines and fat off those giant filets, chop into chunks, soak in your choice of buttermilk, citrus soda, or saltwater overnight... then eat like a king
I always do saltwater.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:56 PM 02-19-2020
Nothing to it filet them big flat heads up then cut pieces to size you want to fry up.trim the red meat and throw away.cant beat flat head nice white meat,quite a bit of waste on the big ones as in picture above
[Reply]
loochy 04:13 PM 03-03-2020
Well, I went fly fishing last weekend at Lower Mountain Fork in Oklahoma. I didn't do especially well (3 fish on the first day, 1 on the second), so instead I'll post some old pictures from a trip that I never reported on here.

Last October, I hit up Taneycomo one morning. We floated in a Mackenzie drift boat from the dam all the way down to near Lilley's Landing. We got into quite a few decent sized fish. All fish on the day came on a #14 pink San Juan Worm. They were running 2 units at the time.

[Reply]
Megatron96 04:17 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Well, I went fly fishing last weekend at Lower Mountain Fork in Oklahoma. I didn't do especially well (3 fish on the first day, 1 on the second), so instead I'll post some old pictures from a trip that I never reported on here.

Last October, I hit up Taneycomo one morning. We floated in a Mackenzie drift boat from the dam all the way down to near Lilley's Landing. We got into quite a few decent sized fish. All fish on the day came on a #14 pink San Juan Worm. They were running 2 units at the time.

Pretty fish.

What was the depth? Were you fishing under an indicator or just tight lining?
[Reply]
loochy 04:39 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Pretty fish.

What was the depth? Were you fishing under an indicator or just tight lining?
It was about 4 to 5 feet under an indicator....sometimes deeper and sometimes shallower. We fished some on the drift and we stopped to thoroughly cover a few holes, shelves, and cuts.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:45 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
It was about 4 to 5 feet under an indicator....sometimes deeper and sometimes shallower. We fished some on the drift and we stopped to thoroughly cover a few holes, shelves, and cuts.
Fished Taney dozens of times as a kid with my dad and brother growing up. We'd rent a cabin there at i believe it was called the Del Mar Resort. We'd always rent a boat for the day and drive up almost to the dam and drift fish our way back. Never fly fished it though, so I was wondering how shallow it could get. Shallow enough to dry fly it I guess. Might have to consider making a trip back someday.
[Reply]
loochy 04:54 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Fished Taney dozens of times as a kid with my dad and brother growing up. We'd rent a cabin there at i believe it was called the Del Mar Resort. We'd always rent a boat for the day and drive up almost to the dam and drift fish our way back. Never fly fished it though, so I was wondering how shallow it could get. Shallow enough to dry fly it I guess. Might have to consider making a trip back someday.
In general, Taneycomo is not an especially good place for fly fishing, especially dries. If they aren't running any water, the area below the dam is wadeable most of the way across for about a mile. This area could be worked with dries if the water is off. If 1 or 2 units are running, you can wade just a little bit along the north shore by the hatchery.
[Reply]
Page 181 of 221
« First < 81131171177178179180181 182183184185191 > Last »
Up