ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 324 of 3903
« First < 224274314320321322323324 3253263273283343744248241324 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 01:44 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
This is very preliminary but it seems like it can't hurt.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 01:45 PM 03-16-2020

BREAKING: 5 Bay Area counties will join San Francisco in putting their regions on lockdown, which will cover 6.7 million people, according to the San Francisco Chronicle

— BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) March 16, 2020

Ok, found it: The directive begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and involves San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties — a combined population of more than 6.7 million. It is to stay in place until at least April 7.

— carencioffi (@carencioffi) March 16, 2020

Good shit
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:45 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm going to do a stupid thing and weigh in here after a prolonged absence. I think FAX is probably onto something in that people are pretty firmly entrenched in wherever they stand on this so anything I have to say is probably just going to inflame passions either way. Oh well.

I suspect this will do nothing but convince everyone that I'm an idiot, but such is life.
I think what you are suggesting was what the UK was going to do but I think they just reversed course.

Also there has been confirmed cases where a person had it, got better, and then later got re-infected.

There has been some really promising info the last day or so about vaccine's\cure's for this and some are starting human testing very soon. If get it I want the malaria (chloroquine)\HIV cocktail.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 01:46 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Universal is jumping into the Premium SVOD, with the Trolls sequel being released in April via Amazon, VUDU and Movies Anywhere for rental or purchase on the same day as the wide release:

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell said in a statement: “Universal Pictures has a broad and diverse range of movies with 2020 being no exception. Rather than delaying these films or releasing them into a challenged distribution landscape, we wanted to provide an option for people to view these titles in the home that is both accessible and affordable. We hope and believe that people will still go to the movies in theaters where available, but we understand that for people in different areas of the world that is increasingly becoming less possible.”
wonder if disney will do the same with onward.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:46 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This is very preliminary but it seems like it can't hurt.
I've been told by a close friend that's an ER doc and my SIL, who's a Nurse Practitioner, that Motrin and Aleve is not effective and may in fact make the virus symptoms even worse.

Tylenol is okay.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:46 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
No offense but I'll take Dr. Fauci's advice over yours.
Fauci said he does not anticipate a situation where a national shutdown will be necessary.

That's the other problem - there's literally hours of conversation from Fauci (who has been an invaluable source of information throughout this) - but it's being cut apart piecemeal to be put to use by both sides to their own ends.

This is just 6 minutes of almost literally more information than one can actually listen to, but it illustrates my point a bit:

“It’s certainly going to get worse before it gets better.” NIH official Dr. Anthony Fauci says it could be up to “eight weeks or more” of shutdowns and working from home as COVID-19 cases continue to surge in the U.S. https://t.co/OSp7OkbziN pic.twitter.com/bS1IQiAy58

— Good Morning America (@GMA) March 13, 2020

You can literally cull out whatever message from this 6 minute interview as you want to cull. You can pull this '6-8 weeks' line as GMA did on their header and disregard the 'i hope it will be shorter' line. You can cite the 'i think we should proportionally shut down schools' section or note that he also says he doesn't anticipate a national shutdown.

I would absolutely encourage people to listen to Fauci over me - duh. The guy's great. But actually listen to damn near everything he says. He's not really an alarmist, nor does he claim to know what's actually going to happen. And again, he's using that same curve - the curve that REQUIRES acquired immunity - in his presentation so again, I think it's hard to say he's advocating for any kind of national halt.

So how is 'Dr. Fauci's advice' clearly in opposition to anything I've said?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:47 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
wonder if disney will do the same with onward.
Onward is already in theaters. I could see them moving up the release date for SVOD, Digital and Disney+ but I doubt they make the jump while it's still in theaters.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:48 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Update.

My brother (who has had symptoms for the past few days) finally agreed to call the doctor. Doctor tells him to come in and get swabbed for the flu. His flu test is negative. Doctor tells him to go home and he will put him in touch with the state health board or whatever.

They call him. He lists his symptoms and then goes on to inform them that he was in NYC 10 days ago for work (I knew he had been traveling, but did not know to where...hadn't seen him in a couple weeks.) So he says they then get somewhat alarmed and tell him he needs to get tested.

They tell him someone from their team will call him back within the hour and tell him where to get tested.

Someone from the CDC, not the State, calls him back to inform him that they don't have enough tests in JoCo for him to be tested. That the test kits available are for high risk individuals.

And now the best part. His doctor's office will not allow them to come back in for a follow up or normal appointment because he and his household probably have this shit.

I'm not a doomsday prepper. I am not a conspiracy theorist.

But this, boys and girls, is SUPER FUCKED.

Is definitely an unfortunate situation. I cant really blame the clinic either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:50 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So how is 'Dr. Fauci's advice' clearly in opposition to anything I've said?
I'm watching the press conference Live right now and Fauci basically said to stay inside and avoid contact.

I don't think that any of the recommendations or mandates that have been put in place by state and local governments have overstepped any bounds.

He also said that we're far, far behind "where we think we are" in terms of infection meaning the worst is yet to come.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:50 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
You have to be living under a rock to think this.

Then again I guess we all are right now. I'm not trying to be rude but the lack of testing is the biggest problem.
I don't see how this is the case, testing or no testing, social distancing is the key. It's not like treatment for this is different than other flu you should self isolate if you are sick with any flu.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:50 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

I turned it off & turned the volume up on NFLN.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:51 PM 03-16-2020
1 million test available as of now.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:52 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He's a drug kingpin from Baltimore

Exactly!

These things mutate.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:55 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I think what you are suggesting was what the UK was going to do but I think they just reversed course.

Also there has been confirmed cases where a person had it, got better, and then later got re-infected.

There has been some really promising info the last day or so about vaccine's\cure's for this and some are starting human testing very soon. If get it I want the malaria (chloroquine)\HIV cocktail.
Yeah, I think there have been 2 confirmed cases of re-infection. Chicken Pox does the same thing. Acquired immunity isn't 100% effective, obviously. Never has been for any virus anywhere.

Again I guess I just have to ask - if you're not on board with the possibility of acquired immunity being effective long-term, is your solution ultimately a vaccine or bust? And given that most people seem to think that a vaccine is probably still a year out, are you really advocating for a 12 month shutdown of the nation to prevent spread while we figure it out?

From every one of these simulations, the biggest gun in our arsenal IS acquired immunity. If that's not a thing that happens, NONE of this matters. You can't 'flatten the curve' because the eligible population never reduces. That's what I think most people that note that curve seem to be missing. the curve trickles away BECAUSE of acquired immunity so if you want to operate in a world where we can't rely on it, then just chuck all this shit out the window because none of those curves are relevant.

So again - there's an admittedly fine line to walk here. But I don't think the answer is to just keep ratcheting in one direction. In the end you'll go back to where we started.
[Reply]
sedated 01:57 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Its like The Happening. Just keep dividing the groups of people until we are locked in separate shacks communicating through a pipe.
[Reply]
Page 324 of 3903
« First < 224274314320321322323324 3253263273283343744248241324 > Last »
Up