ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 207
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
phisherman 03:17 PM 10-25-2017
A private barrel pick means that a store/retailer/restaurant has purchased a whole barrel of unblended bourbon. This is special because most all small batch and mass produced bourbons are blends of many different barrels to achieve a specific flavor profile. Some private barrel picks are very, very good and some aren't.

Barrel strength means that when the bourbon is bottled, it's not diluted to a specific ABV.
[Reply]
srvy 03:21 PM 10-25-2017
Private barrel stock is just an individual can buy an individual barrel from a distribute or liquor store. A barrel gets roughly 200 bottles so many time a private individual will get a group together and pick a barrel and the bottle gets bottle number and barrel on bottle. Liquor stores buy barrels also and sell individually.

Cask strength is undiluted whiskey in barrel before its diluted with water. Its not the strongest as it gets less as it ages. Still strength is usually above 70%ABV cask 50 to 60% ABV.
Even cask strength can be diluted with water to meet state and fed laws.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:22 PM 10-25-2017
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
TimBone 03:46 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I did it a few years ago and really had a great time. Which distilleries are you hitting? (I am assuming not all of them since it would be over a dozen.)

I haven't had it, but it's supposed to be pretty good. They use a high rye mash bill so it will be on the spicier end of the bourbon spectrum. I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get into it.
Thanks for the info. It's not for me. My wife's sister is getting married in early November, and I can't make it due to work. I bought it for the Father of the bride to celebrate with his family.

I dont know a whole lot about bourbon, so I went into a good Houston spirits store looking for a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle (That's supposed to be quality stuff, right?). When they didn't have any Pappy, I had one of the employees recommend a bottle. The Bella Meade is what he sent me home with.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:11 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
No Blanton's? That needs to be added to your collection ASAP. It will immediately top all of the other bottles you have, based on what I see in those pictures.
Blanton’s isn’t an easy find here but see my exact feelings below. At $65 it’s simply a pass, not because it’s not good, but there’s similar quality for half the cost.

Originally Posted by srvy:
Everyone has their own preference and at the 60 dollar price range I find Blantons a bit boring. I have many bourbons inside 30 bucks I like better. Russels 10 and the Even Williams Vintage right in that Pic. The Wellers in that pic at slightly over 30 bucks I take over Blantons. But thats just me YMMV.
My thoughts too. I love Weller. And that Russell’s 10 is about as good as you find at $30 price.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:13 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by TimBone:
What can you bourbon guys tell me about this bottle? Is it good quality?

I’ve heard good things on it. Never had. How much that run you there?
[Reply]
lewdog 04:19 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
n00b question: what does "private barrel pick" and "barrel strength" mean? I know I've seen stores with the private barrel pick bottles, but how does it differentiate from the normal stock in regards to quality and price?

I've got an embarrassing amount of reward points at my neighborhood shop so I'm thinking of using them to pick up a couple bottles.
That 4 roses bottle in the middle in my second picture is both. It was chosen by two members of our Arizona Bourbon Society group who went and tasted barrels. 4 roses bottled the barrel they chose and sold it to our group. It’s bottled at barrel strength and aged 9 years and 10 months. If you get guys who know how to taste bourbon, the private picks can be outstanding and much different from the taste of same generic bottles on the shelf.

Let me know if you need help choosing some bottles there! :-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:26 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That 4 roses bottle in the middle in my second pick is both. It was chosen by two members of our Arizona Bourbon Society group who went and tasted barrels. 4 roses bottled the barrel they chose and sold it to our group. It’s bottled at barrel strength and aged 9 years and 10 months. If you get guys who know how to taste bourbon, the private picks can be outstanding and much different from the taste of same generic bottles on the shelf.

Let me know if you need help choosing some bottles there! :-)
That's good to know. My local shop is bourbon-centric, where I got the Birthday Bourbon, and they have private select bottles on occasion.

Is it safe to assume that most privately picked bourbons sold in stores are barrel strength, or do some have it diluted as well? Or are they labeled as both?
[Reply]
TimBone 04:27 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I’ve heard good things on it. Never had. How much that run you there?
About $60, I believe.

You interested, Lew? I'm headed back to Houston tomorrow to drop the wife and kid off at the airport. I can snag you a bottle if they still have one.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:25 PM 10-25-2017
Do any of you guys have access to Blanton's or Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel?

Haven't seen it in STL for a while now, and the few bottles I've seen of Blanton's the asshole liquor store marked it up to $100 for the bottle.

If anyone has access and would be willing to ship, let me know.
[Reply]
TimBone 05:28 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:

Haven't seen it in STL for a while now, and the few bottles I've seen of Blanton's the asshole liquor store marked it up to $100 for the bottle.

I'll be at Spec's in Houston tomorrow. I'll give it a look see.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:31 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by TimBone:
I'll be at Spec's in Houston tomorrow. I'll give it a look see.
Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

The last time I mentioned this someone from KC said both were pretty easy access. Not sure what the goddamn holdup in STL is, but it's pissing me off.
[Reply]
ChiTown 06:07 PM 10-25-2017

If Timbone can’t get, let me know. The Colonel Single Barrel is a staple in my collection and would be happy to send you a bottle
[Reply]
Strongside 06:28 PM 10-25-2017
We launched the biggest site in our agency's history today (came in at approx 1.9 million), and our CEO brought in a bottle of 23 year Reserve Pappy that he hadn't opened for 2 years. I felt guilty af drinking it, and I may sound insane here...but I didn't find it to be any better than some far cheaper high-end bourbons I'd typically splurge on. (and for far less than the $2900 price tag)
[Reply]
Bewbies 07:24 PM 10-25-2017

For the rest of you, if you see either bottle buy it. These are two of the best you can buy.

I had a friend ask if Blanton’s was good. He was heading to Mexico and it was $35 duty free in the ATL airport. Like an idiot, he passed.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 207
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Up