ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Media Center>Can anybody recommend some good action RPGs?
htismaqe 10:15 AM 03-23-2019
I've played Witcher 3 and I'm getting ready to finally finish DA Inquisition.

I'm just not seeing much out there for loot/progression-based RPGs anymore. The big ones (POE and Divinity) are turn based and I just can't get into them.

Looking for a change of pace after a long Assassin's Creed binge...
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:11 PM 03-25-2019
So I'm definitely interested in Path of Exile. However, is it point and click combat or is it a bit more involved than that? I'm not looking for a Diablo clone really.

I've played Skyrim, Witcher 3, and Dragon's Dogma and I'm thinking more along the lines of those.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 12:42 PM 03-25-2019
Kingdoms of Amalur maybe?

Pretty good combat. Story by R.A Salvatore, but to be honest I found it generic as ****, but your mileage may vary.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:53 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Kingdoms of Amalur maybe?

Pretty good combat. Story by R.A Salvatore, but to be honest I found it generic as ****, but your mileage may vary.
Played it. The combat was by far the best part of that game. The loot was kind of meh and the story and environments, like you said, were pretty generic.

I really enjoyed it though just because the combat was so fluid and fun.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 01:28 PM 03-25-2019
Divinity II: Developers cut

This one is first person, not turn based like some others in the franchise. No quest markers, you just gotta find stuff. But you do find stuff without too much difficulty. Once again I found the first bit hard to slog through, but once you finish up the first town and move on down the road it gets pretty cool.

The character advancement is nice. It's set up for you to multiclass as much or as little as you want and has some cool combat. The combat isn't as good as some of the previously mentioned games, but I found it enjoyable.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:19 PM 03-25-2019
I played this on launch several years ago and loved it for about 2 years until they dumbed everything down. It was extremely complicated and fun not sure what it is today but it's still online to play for free.

[Reply]
Frazod 02:25 PM 03-25-2019
I crapped out on Metro Exodus. I thought it would be more open world, but there was too much crawling around in the dark getting dogpiled. That gets old quick.

Back to playing Skyrim for the umpteenth time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:29 PM 03-25-2019
Divinity II: Developers cut

This one is first person, not turn based like some others in the franchise. No quest markers, you just gotta find stuff. But you do find stuff without too much difficulty. Once again I found the first bit hard to slog through, but once you finish up the first town and move on down the road it gets pretty cool.

The character advancement is nice. It's set up for you to multiclass as much or as little as you want and has some cool combat. The combat isn't as good as some of the previously mentioned games, but I found it enjoyable.
The last Divinity game I played was Ego Draconis and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll check this one out.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:33 PM 03-25-2019
Perhaps I should check out Dragon's Dogma. Never heard of it before.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:34 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The current version is Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. It was remaster for Xbox1 and PS4 and is also on PC AFAIK.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 02:38 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I highly recommend it, but don't be afraid to google some things if you need to. Some stuff isn't readily apparent or explained very well.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:50 PM 03-25-2019
I highly recommend it, but don't be afraid to google some things if you need to. Some stuff isn't readily apparent or explained very well.
I think I'll give it a shot.

And I'm never afraid to look shit up. I play these games for enjoyment, not to run around in circles being frustrated.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 08:08 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So I'm definitely interested in Path of Exile. However, is it point and click combat or is it a bit more involved than that? I'm not looking for a Diablo clone really.
it is point and click in isometric dungeon crawling. the leveling up and the variety of skills make it much different though. instead of having a skill tree for each class, PoE has one massive skill tree for all classes. it makes for really cool hybrid classes and customised characters.

take a look at the map here: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

the actual skills/spells come from gems that you put into weapon slots. half of the game is character build... choosing the constellation of passive skills on the map that will benefit your character most
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:47 PM 03-25-2019
Perhaps the Valkyria Chronicles series? It is part turn based tactical RPG and part action rpg.
[Reply]
Sofa King 07:05 AM 03-26-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I've played Witcher 3 and I'm getting ready to finally finish DA Inquisition.

I'm just not seeing much out there for loot/progression-based RPGs anymore. The big ones (POE and Divinity) are turn based and I just can't get into them.

Looking for a change of pace after a long Assassin's Creed binge...
Sounds like you have a similar taste. I'm playing God of War right now which is getting really good.

BUT, My favorite game of the last few years has been Horizon Zero Dawn. Great looking game, fun gameplay, etc. Give it a shot if you haven't already. Can get it for the cheap.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:10 AM 03-26-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Sounds like you have a similar taste. I'm playing God of War right now which is getting really good.

BUT, My favorite game of the last few years has been Horizon Zero Dawn. Great looking game, fun gameplay, etc. Give it a shot if you haven't already. Can get it for the cheap.
I've had HZD on my list for a long time. Honestly, I think the thing that is keeping me at a distance is the female protagonist. Not that I have anything against it, it just spoils the immersion for me for some reason.

Definitely have GOW on my list, I might have to try it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up