ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Ancestry and DNA Thread***
BigRedChief 07:54 AM 03-23-2019
I sent in the DNA to 24 and me a couple of years ago. I didn't have any ticking genetic time bombs like the Alzheimer gene so I posted it publicly. People contacted me and I found out stuff real quick.

I recently spent some time to trace my roots on Ancestry.com. Found some interesting stuff. Probably others have too. Get your share on in here.

I'm 85% British/15% Irish/Scotish. Gentically, like every other human being ever born with Red hair and blue eyes, I come from Doggerland. Use to be the land mass connecting England to Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

My ancestors came here as rich British military officers. Had great wealth in NY, bought huge tracks of land in what is now the Bronx, My 7th GG dies and my 6th great grandfather inherited the wealth. He joined the revolution in 1775. The British took all his wealth, burned his farms when he signed the Declaration of Independence. Served as the General of the NY militia during the war. http://www.ushistory.org/declaration.../morris_l.html

My 4th GG moved to Tennessee in 1830 as a southern Baptist preacher. His son moved to green county Missouri in 1850 to be a southern baptist preacher. And thats where they stayed. Many remained preachers, even today. All sided with the Union.Since we left NY, my ancestors were mainly poor man of God preachers, drunks or killers. Not much middle ground. But, at least there was no slave owners. :-)

What interesting stuff did you find out?
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:51 PM 03-23-2019
I'm 50% Oneida Indian (Oneida Nations of Wisconsin - from my mother, who's 100%)

My fathers side is mostly Irish, some German...came over just prior to Civil War era and were steel/coal workers in Pennsylvania area then migrated to Illinois and became blacksmiths and farmers where they still live today. Haven't met any of my extended family out east although it's said some still live in that area.
[Reply]
bdj23 01:04 PM 03-23-2019
Did Ancestry.com and it came back pretty much all from British Isles, which would explain my horrible teeth.
[Reply]
oldman 02:09 PM 03-23-2019
The problem I have with those DNA regions is that most of the western European ones overlap. So even if no one in your 10 or 12 generation profile ever set foot in Scandinavia, you may have some Viking roots. Borders change, conquerors come and go, and names are written as they sound to different people.
[Reply]
Graystoke 03:28 PM 03-23-2019
I came from sperm
[Reply]
Pablo 03:36 PM 03-23-2019
My family is all from Sicily. Nonna Giovatelli-Gorgonzola always made a real spicy meatball and I call pasta sauce "tomato gravy"!!!!

/takes DNA test. Definitely just English with some mutt mixed in.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:42 PM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
I came from sperm
I found out I'm 100% American on my dad's side. Another 100% American on my mom's side. Pure blood-line there.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:04 PM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
That’s sort of what I was interested in seeing.

My mom’s mom always said she was a mix of German and Irish, while my mom’s dad was supposedly Italian. He used to claim his family invented the pizza lol

My results showed practically nothing as far as Italy is concerned, which is weird as shit because during the summer my mom, one of her sisters, and my grandfather would turn a pretty solid brown. In fact, I’m solid brown-skinned and people used to rant about how much I looked like my grandfather when I was growing up.

Just take it for what it is- a little bit of fun- and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
my grandfather looks exactly like my 7th Great grandfather who signed the Declaration of Independence.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:19 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Monty:
Yeah, it's pretty cool, but always verify the information independently if you can. When I started out doing this pre-internet, it was tough to verify facts.
Yeah, once you get over to Europe, you can get a 14 day free trial and access to all those documents and photos the world has available. You can see the documents from the 16th/15th century that has your 12th GG listed with their parents and siblings. There it is documented 300-400 years ago.
[Reply]
srvy 05:20 AM 03-25-2019
American Pharoah.
https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...c075593f4.html

[Reply]
oldman 08:26 AM 03-25-2019
I find it interesting to see what parts of our history immigrants played a part in. There was a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel I watched the other day about an all Irish brigade in the Civil War that was pretty interesting. I did some research for my cousin and found this forgotten piece of history a little closer to to KC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cole_Camp_(1861)
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:51 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Monty:
That's me. I'm in the Edwards family tree that traces back to the first illegitimate son of King Henry VIII.

I also found my Mom's half sister and her family in Seattle. I reached out, but no response. Their loss. :-)

My paternal line is almost all Swedish/Viking, so that's been fun to play around with. I mostly started this because I really had no idea how my family (both sides) ended up in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Lots of incorrect information along the way, but I also found a ton of information that hadn't been captured previously. I'm the only one in my family that even gives a shit about their heritage, but the information is there in case someone wants it.
My great grandfather came here from Sweden and married a woman who also immigrated from Sweden so we know that I am at least 25% Swedish. My dad did the Ancestry DNA test and came back ~20% Swedish. So yeah, these tests are not very accurate in that manner.

However, my brother has really run with the information that we already had and has found that all of the old census records in Sweden have been digitized! He has extended our knowledge on that end by several generations as a result. He also wound up finding a relative on my mom's side who was illegitimate and never knew his birth heritage. No one in the family even knew it happened (great aunt got pregnant during WWII while hubby was gone. Oops!). So this 70+ year old man is just now learning about his lineage. Pretty cool although a few people in the family are not happy about this turn of events.
[Reply]
Monty 08:55 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah, once you get over to Europe, you can get a 14 day free trial and access to all those documents and photos the world has available. You can see the documents from the 16th/15th century that has your 12th GG listed with their parents and siblings. There it is documented 300-400 years ago.
Yep, I've added most of the documents to my tree and found it incredible that the information is available. The shortcoming is that some the Swedish docs from the local churches isn't in Ancestry, but in a local db. I have access, but it's not been very useful. The best best is to actually travel to these small towns to get the information.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:20 AM 03-25-2019
These are so dumb, Europe is being overrun by Muslims, Pakis and soon, Africans. So saying “I’m 33% Swede!” is pointless since Sweden won’t exist very much longer.
[Reply]
Monty 09:28 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
My great grandfather came here from Sweden and married a woman who also immigrated from Sweden so we know that I am at least 25% Swedish. My dad did the Ancestry DNA test and came back ~20% Swedish. So yeah, these tests are not very accurate in that manner.

However, my brother has really run with the information that we already had and has found that all of the old census records in Sweden have been digitized! He has extended our knowledge on that end by several generations as a result. He also wound up finding a relative on my mom's side who was illegitimate and never knew his birth heritage. No one in the family even knew it happened (great aunt got pregnant during WWII while hubby was gone. Oops!). So this 70+ year old man is just now learning about his lineage. Pretty cool although a few people in the family are not happy about this turn of events.
Good stuff! My 2 GG immigrated from Sweden and married a woman in Illinois who was also from Sweden.

Are the digitized records from Sweden included in Ancestry.com or in a separate database? I'd be curious to know if I could get access.

I found a 4th cousin in Sweden over the holidays via the DNA report, but we can't seem to find the connection in our family trees, so I have no idea at this point how we're related.
[Reply]
Monty 09:29 AM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
These are so dumb, Europe is being overrun by Muslims, Pakis and soon, Africans. So saying “I’m 33% Swede!” is pointless since Sweden won’t exist very much longer.
Well, I'm dumb then. Tick the box. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up