ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Ancestry and DNA Thread***
BigRedChief 07:54 AM 03-23-2019
I sent in the DNA to 24 and me a couple of years ago. I didn't have any ticking genetic time bombs like the Alzheimer gene so I posted it publicly. People contacted me and I found out stuff real quick.

I recently spent some time to trace my roots on Ancestry.com. Found some interesting stuff. Probably others have too. Get your share on in here.

I'm 85% British/15% Irish/Scotish. Gentically, like every other human being ever born with Red hair and blue eyes, I come from Doggerland. Use to be the land mass connecting England to Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

My ancestors came here as rich British military officers. Had great wealth in NY, bought huge tracks of land in what is now the Bronx, My 7th GG dies and my 6th great grandfather inherited the wealth. He joined the revolution in 1775. The British took all his wealth, burned his farms when he signed the Declaration of Independence. Served as the General of the NY militia during the war. http://www.ushistory.org/declaration.../morris_l.html

My 4th GG moved to Tennessee in 1830 as a southern Baptist preacher. His son moved to green county Missouri in 1850 to be a southern baptist preacher. And thats where they stayed. Many remained preachers, even today. All sided with the Union.Since we left NY, my ancestors were mainly poor man of God preachers, drunks or killers. Not much middle ground. But, at least there was no slave owners. :-)

What interesting stuff did you find out?
[Reply]
lewdog 07:58 AM 03-23-2019
That stuff isn’t really very accurate.

Congrats.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:01 AM 03-23-2019
We have a pretty detailed tree on both sides of the family without Ancestry.com...
Back to germany on one side and England on the other. My uncle did the trace thing and did not really find anything new.

I have a few letters from a relative in Germany to my Ggrandmother, talking about how things are still being rationed in the 50's.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:13 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
We have a pretty detailed tree on both sides of the family without Ancestry.com...
Back to germany on one side and England on the other. My uncle did the trace thing and did not really find anything new.

I have a few letters from a relative in Germany to my Ggrandmother, talking about how things are still being rationed in the 50's.
I had some of those type of letters left by now dead relatives. I found that they were 75% correct. Found birth, will and court documents that proved otherwise. In one case, skipped, left out a whole generation because I'm assuming embarrassed that the son of the town preacher killed another man during a drunken bar fight that he started.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:13 AM 03-23-2019
My grandfather was an asshole I hear
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:14 AM 03-23-2019
I did (essentially) the same thing - knowing full well what my Tree (basically) looked like. Like you I'm 87% Scots, Irish and English (Dad) and 13% German (Mom).

After some work (shit gives me a headache) I traced us back to 1400s Scotland (Inverness) and 1522 in Germany. Pretty much what our family tree says. Always liked seeing those leaves pop up, though.... :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:16 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That stuff isn’t really very accurate
Which stuff?
Congrats.
For what? Its all a genetic lottery we have nothing to do with. Losing 100lbs, that's on me. But, I'm also the one who put the extra lbs.on. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:22 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I did (essentially) the same thing - knowing full well what my Tree (basically) looked like. Like you I'm 87% Scots, Irish and English (Dad) and 13% German (Mom).

After some work (shit gives me a headache) I traced us back to 1400s Scotland (Inverness) and 1522 in Germany. Pretty much what our family tree says. Always liked seeing those leaves pop up, though.... :-)
Yeah, I hear ya. way too much time spent in late night exploring the family leafs. We white guys if we can get back to England will find we are the ancestors of Kings or Lords. Mainly because they were the ones documenting christenings, marriages, wills etc. that prove they get to keep their wealth and privileged lives. Farthest I've got back was 1122.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:29 AM 03-23-2019
That stuff isn’t really very accurate.

Congrats.
They've also been known to sell data to marketing firms and other "entities".
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:32 AM 03-23-2019
I found my birth mom and her side of the family via Ancestry this year. Crazy stuff...
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:33 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah, I hear ya. way too much time spent in late night exploring the family leafs. We white guys if we can get back to England will find we are the ancestors of Kings or Lords. Mainly because they were the ones documenting christenings, marriages, wills etc. that prove they get to keep their wealth and privileged lives. Farthest I've got back was 1122.

Holy cow! This post spurred me to go back and bring up the Ancestry app (family tree) again...112 leaves! Guess I've more work to do. :-)

Speaking of Kings and Lords....Lord Earl of Stirling is like a 20th Cousin... :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:37 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I found my birth mom and her side of the family via Ancestry this year. Crazy stuff...
Man thats really cool. I cant imagine, even if your loved totally, not knowing who my birth mom was. Did you get to meet her in person, that side of the family?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:41 AM 03-23-2019

I always find history fascinating. My Ancestors came here long before the Revolutionary War and settled in Boston. Others came here as indentured servants to North Carolina (Imprisoned by the English during the "cleanse" of the Highlands) and sent here.

Eventually, they (more or less) joined together in Kentucky and Tennessee and became farmers. Amazing.....
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:43 AM 03-23-2019
Man thats really cool. I cant imagine, even if your loved totally, not knowing who my birth mom was. Did you get to meet her in person, that side of the family?
No not yet, this just happened in the last 4-6 weeks. Part of me feels bad about intruding in their lives and my birth mom is trying to absorb all of this so it is going to be a process.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:43 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They've also been known to sell data to marketing firms and other "entities".
Of course, every company sells your data these days. Whether they admit it or not. There is no privacy in the information age. I've seen behind the curtain.

The government already knows every single thing about my life and how I lead that life.I'm sure that factored into my decision to post my genetic tree publicly.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up